Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumperette removal.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

It should be a fraction of the price and a little work to account for the variance. I have two sets on Shapeways at the moment that have a modification to the hole whereby its rounded out to allow a little adjustability. I need to get these printed to test. Depending on the size of the nut it may require a washer to hold it firmly in place.

The reason I have two is that I exported a version with and without the 'widening' option as most 3D printers results settle and widen slightly as they are printed. Shapeways isn't an extrusion printer in the same sense, they print within a matrix of the material powder so I don't know if the same modification is needed. I'll have to print both and see which is better. This is going to get expensive fast

Old 03-05-2016, 11:36 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

This is my backup plan at the moment. Shaping this has proven slightly problematic but this is the broad strokes idea.

G
Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

The amount of space behind the bumper cover from one side to the other is inconsistent! The lip that will fit on one side is too big for the other.

I'm just about to throw the towel in on this one.

This latest version has the bigger mounting hole and half the base which allows for a bit of wiggle room when trying to fit it. As you can see in the pictures, the drivers side needs to be sanded down a fraction on the inside edge and built up a bit on the outside edge. Possibly a slight amount of Bondo on the outside of the base may even it up on the surface.

As for the other side, on my car, it's recessed slightly and probably can be made to be more flush with a washer or spacer of some description under the piece.

Still, not bad and once painted with a little modification and some long euro lights a darn sight better looking than the bumperettes.

I'll put them up on shapeways and get a few test prints to see if I need to click the box to acoount for widening or not.

G

Old 03-05-2016, 03:28 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't give-up now, you're almost there and the 90th percentile results look most promising.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:15 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but, these fit Limeyboys car better than my car and the flipped version doesn't fit on the passenger side as well as the drivers side. I just don't think there is a 'magic bullet' for these pieces, just a 'magic paper, ball, powder and ramrod'. A little more involved for the end user but thoroughly effective. I'll know for sure when I get my prints back from Shapeways around mid-March.

If 90% is what you get, and a washer or a little Bondo dials it in for your car then that's not so bad. Or leave the bumperettes, or pay for a fill'n'spray, or get a turbo bumper skin. Anyway, I'll know soon enough. Regardless, the closest match will be up of Shapeways if anybody wants a set knowing that they'll need to hone it to their car.

G
Old 03-05-2016, 05:15 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Old 03-05-2016, 05:58 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gmorat, how about a piece without the mounting part, but with a large lip so it can be glued in place behind the bumper?

Edit: NM - Pict didn't load - I see now your already on to that above
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
gmorat, how about a piece without the mounting part, but with a large lip so it can be glued in place behind the bumper?

Edit: NM - Pict didn't load - I see now your already on to that above
There is no room for a lip behind the passenger side of my car. Is that the same for others? Who knows!

G
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I can check tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Quick sculpt.

I made a ***** of this in a few places but I know I can do better. Not sure how far I can go with these knowing they won't fit on my car.

G
Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Maybe something that gives you a little something extra so that it's adjustable?

G
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

This is probably the least that it could be. Again, I think that there's no application of these that won't require a little work from the end user. If I decide to make these available to the general community I will have to find a way to express that as adamantly and clearly as possible.

I'm sending off for prints of these, they'll be a day or two behind the other pieces.

G
Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Has anybody had any experience with Shapeways materials in regards to being able use with automotive paints?

Material wise it seems like White, Strong and Flexible polished is the only real choice for cost/finish but as they don't print in ABS, this is the only option.

Thoughts?

G
Old 03-07-2016, 12:18 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I may add a little more to the back edge to stop dirt and debris from getting into the cavity as much as possible.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:29 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago I put a badgeless grill on my VW. It came with a filler piece for the hood and some double sided trim tape. It was not as nice as a professional fill but was acceptable for the application. Below link is the part for vw.
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2804762/...FRSPfgodKLgH_g

Quick Reply: Bumperette removal.