Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What did you do with your 993 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought it Tuesday morning after flying out to Toronto with my 13 year old daughter. We preceded to drive it 1,342 miles home to Minneapolis.
First we swung down to Niagra Falls and got drenched on the Hornblower boat tour. We had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and headed for the border. I re-imported the car at Port Huron late that night and we made it to Lansing, MI by early am.
Wednesday morning I left her sleeping and went to pick up my radar detector (illegal in Canada) from the FedEx facility where I'd shipped it. Then we walked the capital grounds (#31 for her!) and headed to Hoffmaster State Park on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. We had a picnic lunch, hiked the giant sand dunes and swam in the 6 foot waves. She would still be in the water today, but I almost froze to death. Eventually she scolded me and I was banished to a warm sunny spot on the beach. We pushed on up to Mackinaw City, MI arriving late that night after getting stuck in a deluge with the worst tires I've ever experienced, hydroplaning all over the place to the nearest exit. Supposedly the car hadn't been wet, even to wash, in 8 years, so I didn't know what to expect (leaks, belt issues, even problems with charging, spark etc). The car was fine, but the tires...man. Just to be clear, the they were fine for how the previous owner used the car and I made a deliberate decision to drive home on them rather then replace ahead of time in Toronto. I'm not throwing stones here, but new tires go on early next week and that can't come soon enough.
Thursday very early morning we crossed the Mackinaw Bridge (longest suspension bridge in the northern hemisphere) and enjoyed the sunrise as we followed the shoreline to Escanaba, MI. We had breakfast in a quaint little town sitting outside, then headed west on B roads across WI and into MN at Taylor's Falls. A quick blast down the St. Croix River and we were home by 1530 central so my daughter could make it to dance class.
We were pulled over twice by friendly police due to the missing license plates, but I anticipated that. A deer tried to hit us in WI, but somehow she miscalculated and passed just barely behind. The car itself performed flawlessly although due to operator error it died from time to time, (especially the first day), when I carelessly neglected to blip the throttle in difference to the lwf. Despite the Fister III's early anacdotal evidence suggests the car inspires goodwill wherever it goes.
Most importantly my daughter and I had a great time. We've had many adventures together, but if I sold the car tomorrow I'd still remember the trip forever.
Too long?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Too long - are you kidding! - awesome story. Just add pics.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Making great memories!!! Sounds like fun.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

^^^ PICS ? ? ? ? ? CONGRATS! Awesome story!!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks! I don't want to take over the thread; I probably should've started a new one as an introduction. I'll do that soon and include pics, if I can figure out how.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Among other things, pulled the mufflers and boxed them up to send them to Darin for the Stage III treatment. He had done a set for my 996 a few years ago, so I knew that would be one of the first mods for the 993. I was surprised how easy the job was when I had the first one on the floor in about three minutes. One hour later the second one was out. Both bolts were frozen, so the job progressed from a 3/8 drive socket, to an impact, to a torch, then finally a cut-off wheel to cut the bolt on the strap. So much for an easy job.

Its worth noting that I used Rennlist sponsor ShipNerd to create the UPS shipping label and saved $24. I will definitely be using them for all future shipping.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fister II

I sent my mufflers off to Darin at FDMOTORSPORTS.COM for modification. I will be joining the Fister IIs club. I know, I know I should have gone Faster III sorry Rudy to let you down.
I also painted my Large oval tips black. I plan to re-chrome this winter, if I do not like the black outlaw look . I miss driving my car already. Happy motoring.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up & over Mt Evans this afternoon. Bloody brilliant roads to be had up there. Also managed to park in front of the only "No Parking" sign I saw in that 40 mile stretch.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Disraeli; 07-31-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:19 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Oh yeah, also passed the owner of a Cayenne who had just discovered that his SUV wasn't a 911.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Originally Posted by WRXdriver
Thanks! I don't want to take over the thread; I probably should've started a new one as an introduction. I'll do that soon and include pics, if I can figure out how.
Great story and you're a great dad.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing. It sounds like it was quite the trip. I've been to a few of the places you mention, and it certainly is a beautiful part of the world.

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
I sent my mufflers off to Darin at FDMOTORSPORTS.COM for modification. I will be joining the Fister IIs club. I know, I know I should have gone Faster III sorry Rudy to let you down.
I also painted my Large oval tips black. I plan to re-chrome this winter, if I do not like the black outlaw look . I miss driving my car already. Happy motoring.

Recrome? Aren't they stainless steel?

Last edited by Railmaster.; 08-01-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 184 Posts

Not what I've done with the car just yesterday, but essentially the last two weeks...I made it my DD again. Currently on an 80 mile round trip commute for work, mostly interstate highway. The last few years, my annual mileage has slipped down to around 3k...down from the 7-10k the first few years after I acquired her in 2010.

Health issues intervened...total left hip replacement in 04/15 limited the comfort of the sport seats for a while. The cars jump in value honestly made me reconsider my use...off came the roof rack, etc.

First a new funky Subie in early 2014 took over the normal DD, then the Focus RS in 10/16. After thrashing around in the RS for many miles...the 993 felt, well...old and slow. I thought I felt the clutch beginning to slip( last changed at 53k miles-now at 112k, with track miles from the PO included), car just didn't feel the same.

Fast forward from a couple weeks ago, and the clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping anymore, the throttle response in back to being spot on, and the handling(minus the annoying bump steer) is razor sharp. As we all know, the more you drive these cars, the better they get. Pretty sure it's alive, and showing its appreciation for now being the sharpest knife in the drawer again.

Yes the RS is faster, "might" stop as quick, can probably out turn it, has a way more sophisticated AWD system(unfortunately still front biased no matter what they say)and actually rides much softer if the electro dampers are not set on sport.

But...nothing feels like the 993, sounds like the 993(thanks to the Stage lll's), or looks like the 993. Sometimes all you need is a few thousand miles together to remember what you forgot.

Preaching to the choir I realize.

So, excuse me while I go clean bug guts, mud, and road debris off the car...thinking I might just put that roof rack back on too.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Took a break from the paint restoration (Dr. Colorchip) and charged up the A/C today.
I had purchased a set of manifold gauges from BobbyT.
Hooked the gauges up to see 0 psi on both sides. Well that explains why the compressor wasn't engaging.
Added R134 through the low side port until the A/C compressor started kicking in.
Then checked pressure again.
Repeated until I got low side pressure of about 17 psi at 2000 rpm. At idle I was seeing about 28-33 psi, so it is important to get the engine to 2000 rpm as that is how the low side pressure is specified.
Now to monitor it. The last time I did this, it only lasted a couple weeks.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Default Carbon Fiber Rear Panel

I reinstalled the rear side panel that I covered with carbon fiber.

It was a good learning experience, now I need to finish the passengers side.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 993 today