Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Rear Spoiler Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015 | 05:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nr1416
I did this mod a few years ago and love it. 80 km/h is way to low of a speed to activate the spoiler, found it going up and down constantly around town. If you have the RUF module I think it activates it at 120 km/h which makes more sense.
I have a Ruf module, it's tough to keep eyes on the road, the speedo and check when the spoiler come up all at the same time, but, it seems that mine goes up at just under 80 mph. I read that it is supposed to go down at 40 or so, but it seems like mine stays up until under 10 or lower.

Well worth the expense IMHO.
Old 11-01-2015 | 05:17 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kika
I have a Ruf module, it's tough to keep eyes on the road, the speedo and check when the spoiler come up all at the same time, but, it seems that mine goes up at just under 80 mph. I read that it is supposed to go down at 40 or so, but it seems like mine stays up until under 10 or lower.

Well worth the expense IMHO.
I have 2 RUF modules on 2 of the 993's and they both go down at 40mph
Old 11-01-2015 | 07:55 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

With this mod, I only raise the spoiler to clean/wax area underneath. The rest of the time I drive with the spoiler in the down position. IMO, car looks better without the spoiler deployed.
Old 11-01-2015 | 09:20 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

I used Jakob's write up a few years back, nice work putting this together and returning it to the forum.

Stop the flapping wings..........
Old 11-02-2015 | 02:02 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

The link below may provide some information regarding the mod you are trying to accomplish. I do not think the Module itself is available anymore but there has always been talk of somebody a computer guy figuring out how to hack in to that factory module and modify it.
I did a group buy for those modules around 10 years ago and they were very very popular

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-module.html
Old 11-02-2015 | 04:06 PM
DanL993
button queen

You may have noticed in the latest Panorama there was a Tech Forum question on this spoiler and the "expert" claimed that you couldn't get the spoiler to do what the mod does.

I gave him a short email with this info...we'll see what comes out.

GREAT mod.....my "cafeteria tray" stays down all the time.

BTW I have never heard any rational technical reason why that spoiler was programmed to raise and lower as it does. Lotta speculation but no real firm technical answer. Anyone have the real story?
Old 11-02-2015 | 04:28 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanL993
You may have noticed in the latest Panorama there was a Tech Forum question on this spoiler and the "expert" claimed that you couldn't get the spoiler to do what the mod does.

I gave him a short email with this info...we'll see what comes out.

GREAT mod.....my "cafeteria tray" stays down all the time.

BTW I have never heard any rational technical reason why that spoiler was programmed to raise and lower as it does. Lotta speculation but no real firm technical answer. Anyone have the real story?
Dan- no expert here but it's all marketing.
Cafeteria tray..
Old 11-02-2015 | 05:22 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I have a long history with VW Corrado's - which also have raising/lowering rear spoilers. They were a little more specific about the spoiler. Here's one stat in the brochure below. I think I heard it described elsewhere that the spoiler adds ~60kg's of downforce at highway speeds when the spoiler is extended.

The reason spoiler raises and lowers is:
1. It raises to provide additional downforce, which is only material at higher speeds (72kph+). The reduced rear visibility is less important during highway driving.
2. It lowers at lesser speeds to provide better rear visibility, which is more important when city driving.
3. It's super-futuristic-high-technology
Old 11-02-2015 | 06:33 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

above 10 mph, if you depress the switch it stays up. i've been doing it for so long now, it's automatic, like putting the seat belt on. prevents the spoiler from constantly cycling up and down. learned that trick right here on RL about 1 month after i bought the car.
Old 11-02-2015 | 07:25 PM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Dan- no expert here but it's all marketing.
Cafeteria tray.. :roflmao:
Old 11-02-2015 | 07:28 PM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I have a long history with VW Corrado's - which also have raising/lowering rear spoilers. They were a little more specific about the spoiler. Here's one stat in the brochure below. I think I heard it described elsewhere that the spoiler adds ~60kg's of downforce at highway speeds when the spoiler is extended.

The reason spoiler raises and lowers is:
1. It raises to provide additional downforce, which is only material at higher speeds (72kph+). The reduced rear visibility is less important during highway driving.
2. It lowers at lesser speeds to provide better rear visibility, which is more important when city driving.
3. It's super-futuristic-high-technology
1. You're kidding....right??
2. You're kidding....right??
3. Agreed!!
Old 11-02-2015 | 10:59 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Opo
I have 2 RUF modules on 2 of the 993's and they both go down at 40mph
this....and as mentioned, they go up at just under 80 mph.
Old 11-02-2015 | 11:00 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FLYT993
above 10 mph, if you depress the switch it stays up. i've been doing it for so long now, it's automatic, like putting the seat belt on. prevents the spoiler from constantly cycling up and down. learned that trick right here on RL about 1 month after i bought the car.
Then, after you come to a stop and shut off the engine, does the spoiler still stay up or do you need to manually lower it again?
Old 11-02-2015 | 11:56 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

1. You're kidding....right??
2. You're kidding....right??
3. Agreed!!
i like the part where they used "Corrado" and "graceful" in the same sentence lol
Old 11-03-2015 | 12:42 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nr1416
If you have the RUF module I think it activates it at 120 km/h which makes more sense.
I recently stumbled across a post by mojorizing showing how to modify the spoiler control module to increase the speed at which the spoiler goes up (and down as well). By swapping out one or two resistors the speed can be raised to anywhere from 60-80mph.

It sounds like it functions pretty much like the RUF version, and a whole lot cheaper for anyone with modest soldering skills and who can read resistor band codes (or use an ohmeter).

See post # 52 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...estions-4.html

Last edited by bcameron59; 11-03-2015 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Fix url

Quick Reply: 993 Rear Spoiler Mod