Sponsored by:

Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?

As a result of my recent incident in the Kink at RA, I will need a new front and rear bumper, rear wing, and right front and rear fender.

So...in the true Rennlist spirit of turning adversity into opportunity, I was planning to order the Euro front and rear bumpers.

This got me thinking. Why not turn my TT into a street GT2? I plan to drive the car forever, so it's not like I'm too concerned about originality or the car's value.

Has anyone done this? If I remember correctly, the fender wells are actually cut, right, to allow room for wider wheels/rubber? What size rubber can you run?

Can one use the GT2 front bumper and rear wing without doing the fender flares (my wife is not too crazy about them due to the bolted-on look). I like them myself.

Should I go for it? Of course, I would need to upgrade the ECU and turbos next, right?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Do it!

FVD has the body kit
Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the GT2 was based on a narrow-body. But hell, if you can do it, go for it Anir. Sorry to hear about the car but on the positive note, now you have a reason to modify the body.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:13 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the spirit Anir. Unfortunately mine is a little worse. I'm planning on turning it into a Sunbeam blender.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Anir,

Ouch! My condolences on your incident. I went back to the HWFM RA report and tried to understandwhat happened, after not having read the thread for several days. Looking at your car must be so painful now.

It's funny you mentioned the GT2 because just today I had been marking my position on the slippery slope and pondering upon all of the changes I have already made to my car, falsely thinking that the latest one would be the last, and wondering if I was going to be crazy enough to turn my car into a some type of race car, with the GT2 being at the pinnacle of 993's.

I love how the GT2 looks. If you have the cash and really want to turn your car into GT2, it would be a cool endeavor, albeit most likely a very expensive one. Isn't it cheaper to buy someone else's hard-to-sell race car than it is to convert your car?

I'm glad you were unhurt. Were you wearing a neck collar like a Simpson or an even thicker Deist?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Doc:

Funny you should mention this,....we are making a real GT-2 right now from a TT that we bought,...

Indeed, the fenders are cut away and have bolt-on flares. You can use 9x18 and 11.5 to 12x18's on the rear with 265 and 315 or 335 rubber.

The flares look great (IMHO)) when fitted correctly and bolted on with the small hex-head stainless steel screws.

Ours will be a RWD car with the GT-2 body work, front spoiler and GT-2 rear wing. You would not believe the difference in charge-air temps the GT-2 rear wing makes, not to mention some serious downforce.

I'm doing the engine, as we speak. It will be a 480+ HP unit with custom K-24's and our ECU programming. The car received the Cargraphic left side additional oil cooler as the only creature concession is A/C. The car is black,.....

I'll do a custom exhaust thats still OBD-II compliant.

Although I'm very sorry to hear of your shunt, its an opportunity to make some serious improvement in your car,.....
Old 09-04-2003, 11:58 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Tough choice, Anir. Glad you're okay.

If the wife gives clearance (rational and uncoerced ), then you should go for it.

Found this pic on another board ...

Either way, hope you're back on the road soon.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a rational or fiscally conservative soul among you!

Seriously, thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm going to give the GT2 project some serious thought. My wife thinks the bolt-on flares look "homemade", but they look the business to me.

Is Ron right? Is the real GT2 based on a narrowbody?

Steve, thanks for the specifics! Could I feasibly do just the GT2 front bumper/lip and rear wing without adding the flares? In the pics, it looks like the GT2 wears wider bumpers. How about just the GT2 rear wing, since it has functional advantages in terms of cooling? Would it upset the aerodynamics when mated with a standard front TT bumper?

I doubt I'd go all the way with respect to making an actual GT2, at least in the beginning. I really like the AWD, and truly feel that I need seat time more than I need more hp. Plus, I'm seriously considering a 993 Cup car for track use, if I can just rationalize the tap into the retirement fund. I'm feeling pretty guilt ridden right now, especially when I think of how much more practical it would be to do SRF, Spec Miata, or something similar.

Mark, I was wearing a Bell M3 and Sparco collar. I tried to pull off-line to allow a faster 996 Cup car to pass, but unfortunately did it before completing my track-out in turn 10 ("the kink"). My back end swung left. I countersteered and caught it, but then the tail end swung right. Because I did not unwind soon enough, it continued to rotate right. I gave up, put both feet in, and hit the outside wall (guardrails) traveling backwards at about 40-50 mph. My left neck is still pretty sore, and I will definitely invest in a Hans device before doing more track events. While a soft collar might help position the helmet while driving, I don't feel that it offers any significant protection in a high-speed, sudden deceleration impact.

John, thanks for the beautiful pic! I plan to show it to my wife.

Last edited by Anir; 09-05-2003 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:16 AM
DannyboySmith
Advanced

What the H**!! That GT2 911 is AWSOME!
It looks like a Turbo on some serious steroids....How many of those were made?
You got yourself some project and if you have the dough, go see Mr. Steve Weiner; whatever beast he is building it sounds like music to me!
good your ok
Old 09-05-2003, 12:55 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOOHOO

Go for it Anir. You will make me feel less insane about going with my project. I'm converting my Carrera 2 body to that of the full race GT2 Evo with the main difference from the version you are showing being the front bumper.

I too was faced with the same dillemma after a little mishap. With the first ever Excellence I purchased showcasing a GT2 bodied turbo (in my body color) I was immediately attached to the idea. I'll be using the more agressive of the EVO bumpers and not the one pictured.

I'll have to agree with Steve about the efficiency of the GT2 style wing. I've definitely noticed lower running temps in the Texas heat.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

DO IT !!!
Please take plenty of pics.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw a C4S with a full GT2 bodykit on it at the weekend - at the Porsche Club GBs annual event - it was liveried with 'Mobil 1' decals and looked AWESOME!!!!

Haven't been through my pics yet but I'll post a couple when I do.

(oh, by the way - DO IT!!)

Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
GTP993
Intermediate

Anir,

I only have a picture of one GT-2 "look alike" but we found out that there are two different widths of flares out there one is a more narrow body on our yellow car www.gtperformanceinc.com/web/Dc2.jpg we are able to fit 305/650 18 Dunlop in the rear and 265/645-650 18 in the front, and also on one of our other cars we have more agressive GT-2 flares which we are able to fit 325/650 18 rear and 285/650 18in front, I do not have a photo of that car at the moment but I will post is as soon as I get a chance. The kits we used were from M.A.Shaw Design ( www.mashaw.com ) "Friends Dont let Friends drive junk"

Last edited by GTP993; 09-05-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Doc:

Funny you should mention this,....we are making a real GT-2 right now from a TT that we bought,...

Indeed, the fenders are cut away and have bolt-on flares. You can use 9x18 and 11.5 to 12x18's on the rear with 265 and 315 or 335 rubber.

The flares look great (IMHO)) when fitted correctly and bolted on with the small hex-head stainless steel screws.

Ours will be a RWD car with the GT-2 body work, front spoiler and GT-2 rear wing. You would not believe the difference in charge-air temps the GT-2 rear wing makes, not to mention some serious downforce.

I'm doing the engine, as we speak. It will be a 480+ HP unit with custom K-24's and our ECU programming. The car received the Cargraphic left side additional oil cooler as the only creature concession is A/C. The car is black,.....

I'll do a custom exhaust thats still OBD-II compliant.

Although I'm very sorry to hear of your shunt, its an opportunity to make some serious improvement in your car,.....
Steve - I want your job!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Anir,
I will be the voice of reason here. Not very often I get to say that IMO if this is still going to be your daily driver the GT2 full-on kit will be too much. I personally think going with the Turbo S look would be more in line with what you use the car for and you won't be chopping up the fenders, etc. And if it is one less battle you have to fight with the wife on the way to a 993 Cup or similar, so be it.
Check out www.fvd-usa.com for the prices on the GT2 parts. Also contact getty design for prices if you do go this route.

Quick Reply: Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?