Sponsored by:

Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Greg

Yes, it's hard to type and scratch at the same time.

I'm sure you're right about the air-cooled factor. But there's also the spin-cycle factor.
It is harder to spin a 944 (not that that should matter to the good doctor!). Hell, I go through the Kink with my eyes closed, and I still can't spin it.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Poon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the GT2 from the PCGB show that Surj mentioned
Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm kinda against everyone on one point (lil' rebel again?).

I agree, go & get a track car, that's way to go.

However, if it was me, if I have to spend quite a bit amount money on my car, I'd rather see some difference in it.

Now, your car is going to be former collision car, never can be pristine stock TT anymore so why not make it look the way you want?
Since you're going to put money on your car, why not see something for all that money also?

If you put it back to stock, you'll spend x amount of money and it will be same as few days ago.
If you spend little more, you'll actually see something for that money, awesome looking GT-2 clone! Look at the photo on above post, IMO, that is not "boy racer" car. I'm sure your wife don't see it the same way but maybe not that bad in the end.

This is how I'd do it but that's just me...
Old 09-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks, everybody!!!

Finn,

Man, you're one persuasive dude! It's a good thing you don't live just around the corner. Think of all the trouble you could cause!

After spending a lot of time on this subject with Nathalie tonight, I've decided to follow the sage advice of Steve, Mike, Greg, Kim, my mechanic, etc, and get a dedicated track car. Mike, I know you're right about starting with a 944, but my heart is simply too emotionally wrapped up in the 993.

So, I will return the 993TT to stock, except for upgrading to Euro bumpers.

And, I am actively in the market for as nice a 993 Cup Car as I can find. I know there are some nice track 993's out there, e.g. Glen's, but for just a bit more money, I can do a factory race car, get the air jacks, etc.

Plus, I can get almost a GT2 look, while having the wife's blessing! Poon, thanks for the great pic. I think I'm going to paint the Cup car with that exact scheme. The one below ain't bad, either.

Please let me know if you come across a good example. I'mma shopping.

Steve, as always, I really appreciate your technical expertise and willingness to help.

Mike, I e-mailed you about the PI. Give me a call.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Factory 993 Race Car... This is beyond jealous now...

Good to hear you made your decision (and it is a good one!), althoug, I would've liked to make more "damage"!

Oh, had you not gone w/ euro bumpers, I would've some down there and make you get them!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Wreck pics

Kim and Finn,

We've got to hook up at a track some time.

Here are some pics of the damage to my car. Not too bad considering the circumstances. Solidifies my faith in the structural integrity of our cars.

They should make a bumper sticker that says, "I bit it in the Kink at Road America". Have a great weekend!

Old 09-06-2003, 04:37 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Anir,
Oh man! That looks horrible.

You came out unharmed....and in the scheme of things...thats all that really matters.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:41 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about giving your dedicated track car this body kit?

http://www.paulsexotics.com/GT1.htm
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Auch!

That's quite nasty, but good to hear it's nothing more serious.
How did that actually happen? Did you lose rear end or?

BTW,

There has been some talk among some turtles about Sebring next year (Club Race / DE), are you guys coming (I know Kim, especially for you, the distance is... Well, whatta F, you're actually grazy enough to do it...)?
Old 09-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Ia'm hoping for the biggest Turtle Pond yet at Sebring.

It will become the annual migration.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

A turtle "migration"? That's sounds pretty slow. Count me in.

pzull, do you think that body kit would move me out of "C" class?!

Finn, half way through the kink, I was paying more attention to a faster 996 Cup car behind me than to completing my track out. Thinking I had already finished the turn, I moved the steering wheel right to move off line to allow the pass, and simply overwhelmed the available grip. Honestly, I may have lifted as well (TTO) - I really don't remember. Regardless, the back end came around in a clockwise fashion.

I countersteered and brought the tail end back in line, but did not release soon enough, and so the spin to the left became a spin to the right. At this point, I gave up, put both feet in, and tried to scrub off as much speed as possible before introducing my rear end to the outside wall.

Last edited by Anir; 09-06-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Anir,

I am really sorry to hear about your accident. I think that your car is the most beautiful of all of them on this board!

Incidentally, our friend Gert can get either FVD or factory OEM Porsche GT2 components at really great prices. I looked into this with him a while back, and was really surprised as to what he can get. I think that the GT2 look is incredible, especially if you are not concerned about resale!

I am very glad to hear that you are not too worse for wear after your incident. It makes me feel safer in my 993... the strength of these cars is amazing!
Old 09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Kim,
Check with TRG. They are at the Daytona 24 hour race and then head to Sebring to do testing and bring customer's cars for the PCA event.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Airbag pic

Kim,

One weekend / month is my eventual goal, as well. As it stands, I've only done 7 DE and 1 Skip Barber weekends in 3 years - not enough!

Tom,

I appreciate your kind words. Gert is checking into prices for me.

Here's another interesting pic, which shows how the steering wheel cover separates when the airbag deploys. The associated propellant is some stinky, noxious stuff, for those of you who have not had the pleasure of smelling it.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Greg - So I gotta go spend $10K at their shop and they'll tow my car to Sebring?

Anir - I'll be trying to cut back...it's going to be difficult to skip track days...especially when it is really nice out...
No I think their minimum is a bit north of that figure...

Once you start racing you will care very little about track days and DE events. I will do about 5 races this year and only two DE's. If you are an adrenaline junky you can't beat racing.

Quick Reply: Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?