Sponsored by:

Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:59 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, Thanks for that post...it gave me the first laugh of the day. You've got a great attitude. If you bring your new blender I'll bring the Tequila! We'll get the turtle pond a bit loopy before our Putnam race.

Anir, Are you sure that the cup car was actually faster? You were posting some pretty fast times out there. On your conversion, I like the idea of you having a dedicated track car instead. It is only a matter of time before you are racing with us so why not make the jump now. A new ride is also much faster so you COULD be at putnam.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Anir,

Sorry to hear about your Kinksident. I'm glad your ok and your beautiful car isn't beyond repair. Wish I could have been there.

I always puckered the sphinkter muscle when going through the kink and in all honesty, won't miss that part of RA now that I'm back in Virginia.

I'm going to chime in on the same side as Fishman especially if you are considering a cup car in the future for your Club Racing days. Sounds like they are coming up soon.

Keep us posted,

-Skip
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM
SMB993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anir,

Sorry to hear of your incident at RA. I had a similar ithing happen a few months ago at Watkins Glen where my rear end came around on the "toe of the boot". I think my rear tires were overheated due to a particularly long session on a hot day (last run session of the 2 day event) and they felt very greasy. I hit the guard rail at a relatively slow speed but still managed to crunch my front and rear bumpers and driver's side front and rear fenders. There was no frame damage or personal injury to me or my student passenger so I consider myself extremely lucky.

I then replaced these parts with the Euro front and rear bumpers and added the front GT2 splitters which were all purchased from Mike Shaw. If you go with the GT2 splitters on the front, you must use a non turbo front bumper. In any event, the car looks better than new, which is good and bad. It looks so good that I don't want to take it on the track anymore due to the inevitable stone dings, etc. Instead, I want to get a dedicated 944 turbo track car and trailer. I think for me this is the way to go as preparing a car for dual street/track use necessitates too many compromises and you end up having "neither fish nor fowl". Also, I have been interested in getting into some club racing in the future.

In closing, I will always remember the words of the chief flagger at Watkins Glen who said during the opening remarks of a school a few years ago "there is nothing you can do to your car at this event that will make it prettier or become more valuable."

Steve
Old 09-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

HI Doc

Another alternative: Weren't the 993 fenders that ran in GTS also wider? Could you use those? Otherwise some great ideas.

I do agree with Jeff that a dedicated race car is where you'll end up. I saw an interesting one for either you or Gonzo. e-mail me (PM is full) if interested.

Jim

That quote was a coffee spewer. thanks. I'm starting a picture gallery in the HWFM Racing World HQ Trailer, and that will be the first witticism among the pix on the wall.

I admire the way you have kept your sense of humor through all this, and I'm glad you're one of us: The Few. The Proud. The Slow.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Way to go Anir! GT-2 would be awesome!

IMO, if you do GT-2, you need to do the flares as well. If you don't go with flares, them Turbo S is better.

PM me, I know a guy who might be able to get parts with good price. I'll ask him if he's able to get them.

BTW, I believe GT-2 was based on narrow body.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again to everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm also impressed with Jim's ability to see the humor in a bad situation. I was very fortunate compared to him, and have nobody to blame but myself for my accident, which must make it easier to accept.

Princeton,

Do you have any pics of your conversion?

Greg,

Nathalie likes your "voice of reason" post. I believe her comment was, "as if you don't already draw enough attention from the police!". Thanks for the heads-up on Getty Design. I had not heard of them.

Jeff,

I ran a 2:38.6, 2:39.2, and 2:39.3 in the 3 laps prior to my graceful ballet moves in the kink. Bill and others in 993 RS's were running 5-7 seconds faster, and a Cup car might be even faster than that in the right driver's hands. I do love the TT's power and dynamics, but have to believe that a 993 that weighs almost 1,000 lbs less than my bloated, luxury-laden version would be faster.

Ideally, I'd like to campaign a TT in "C" class, simply because it's what I know and very few folks do it (i.e. a challenge). However, it might actually cost me $10-20K more to buy and set up a 993TT properly than to just get a 993 Cup car. Seems hard to justify, especially given the potentially higher running costs for a TT. If my car didn't have the full Turbo S interior, I'd convert it, but it's just too nice an example to tear apart for a dedicated track car.

Skip,

We miss you out here! I think my sphincter is still puckered!

Steve,

Wise words. I'm glad you're OK after the WG incident. I fully expected to have an incident at some point, and definitely agree that you have to keep it in perspective.

Mike,

Are you talking about wider-than-Turbo metal fenders?

FF,

I'll e-mail you. All leads on parts are appreciated, especially since I might be paying for this myself. State Farm has agreed to pay, but hinted that they might drop me if I process the claim.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anir,
Nope its still a work in progress. I can only get you pics of the body pieces I have so far. The rainy season is still upon us here in Houston so I'm waiting on better weather before sending it to a body shop.

GTP993. I love that car. Thats the exact look I'm going for.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Anir:

My condolences. But as they say: get lemons, make lemonade - or a GT2. I hope you can convince the other half to slap on those fender flares. As you said, they are very much the business and perhaps will save you a bit of cash in the event - God forbid - of another shunt.

I think that swank chestnut brown interior of yours would be a bit inappropriate for such a serious race car, so you may want to unload some of those lovely leather covered switches to your Rennlist brethren .....
Old 09-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Princeton,

What's a GTP993?

Steven,

If I ever part out that CB interior, you've got first dibs!!

My wife says, "Just put your car back to a stock street car, and get yourself another 993 only for the track (ala Greg Fishman - thanks, buddy, for setting the precedent!)." She's a good one!

Or maybe, she'd be so embarassed to drive around in what she perceives as a boy-racer GT2 clone that she'll spend any amount of money to prevent the conversion from happening! Not a bad strategy I've stumbled into - almost as good as the updates "for safety purposes".
Old 09-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Anir, I will be selling my 993 track car as I now have the 996 Supercup. It has a full GT2 cage, is a widebody etc...has not been wrecked ever and a TT engine. It is a very trick car and will be very dominant in C. I ran it with a 3.8 RS motor and now have the TT engine I will be putting inas I have sold the 3.8...Just let your wife know for me....lol
Old 09-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Doc:

The GT-2 wing must be balanced by the RS/GT-2 front splitter and as Greg pointed out, this might not be practical depending on your situation.

The whole package is rather outrageous looking (for a street car) but its handling behavior is simply staggering,....... For any track usage, the Turbo "S" components do not even come close.

The GT-2 was built on a wide bodied chassis but the flares can be added to either one. Racing GT-2's came with 10x18 front wheels and 11x18 rear ones.

They also had cockpit-adjustable front swaybars and 380mm front brakes but thats a story for another time,....
Old 09-05-2003, 05:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two interesting, lower-cost, Porsche 911 race cars (non cup car, $40,000 range) in the latest issue of Autoweek. One has a 600 HP TT (at 1.0 bar) engine. I don't know anything else about them, but if you can't get ahold of Autoweek, drop me an email ( dohc4v@aol.com ) and I'll email the details to you.

Many years ago, I took a beautiful 1970 911E and over a period of about fours years, morphed it into an IMSA RSR, complete with full cage, on-board fire system, and fuel cell. I would have been so way better off to have kept that car pristine, and bought a used race car. FWIW.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Anir

I don't know if they were metal or not.

Listen to the wise old geezers (Steve and moi).

You have a beautiful car. Keep it that way.

Go buy a set-up track car. Cheaper in the long run.

But start with a water-pumper. You'll learn more, faster.

We'll have big fun. If you need a big Horse hit, DE the TT.

(BTW, the PI is proving particularly stubborn, even with the Psorcon)
Old 09-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,
Still a bit itchy, are we?

I concur with your advice on a 944 but I think Anir has his eyes on something air-cooled. Just my guess.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Anir,

REALLY sorry about your car. Glad you were not injured. I have a personal affection for the GT2s. I was thinking of just getting a narrow body front bumper and a GT2 tail for my car. Here is my previous 3.6T with the GT2 tail (can't see it too well). They are nice. Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one...

Quick Reply: Turn my 993TT into a street GT2?