993 Forum 1995-1998

fixed that door click !

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 12:24 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed that door click !

finally had that annoying click taken care on the drivers side cost me $500 dollars but worth it ! the door check was fixed by removing the door only. i will include a pic - not the clearest photo though.. the pic was taken when the job was finished - but i wish i had some with the door off!!
vtach
1997 993
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2003, 01:28 AM
hughfi
AutoX

Interesting. I had the same clicking noise in my door. It was obvious that the clicking was being caused as a result of the plastic resister causing a rattle in the pin shown above as it passed through. My problem was, that the hold for the pin was too big and allowed this rattle.

After looking at the problem numerous ways, I decided that the best solution for me was to 'file' down the bumps on the metal bar, hence reducing the resistance down to nothing and hence removing any noise as a result. I still have the pin intact which means that I get that door safety, but I do not have the 'notches' as I open the door.

It cost me 10 dollars for a file, but its clearly not as effective as the solution above. I guess I would rather spend that money on something else such as a new front windscreen that I need.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That clicking can also come from a bad door stay, which is a well-known weak spot on most 911's up through the 993 line. The Weltmeister reinforcement kit costs about $35 and takes 2 hrs. to install. If you let that clicking go and it tears the sheet metal inside the door, you get to pay the phat tab that V-tech paid - actually, $500 doesn't sound that bad for what they usually have to do when door-removal is required. Get on this fast and don't let it fester. $35 now or $500+ later. No brainer.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:50 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Rick,

I am not familiar with the Weltmeister reinforcement kit that you mentioned. Where did you purchase it and do you know the part number?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:57 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

If it is Welmester, then it is at www.perfomanceproducts.com They have a 'door stop fix' part listed, but with no explanation and a poor picture.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:04 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bob,

I searched on Performance Products under any "door" listing and can't find anything remotely like Rick is talking about. Can you give me a specific link?

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

The Welmeister part basically bolsters the thin sheet metal support on the door where the door strap is bolted on. Sometimes this area gets weakened from metal fatigue and the support distributes the force over a larger area. However, from the list it appears that most of the clicking is from a loose check strap mount on the door pillar of the car, and it can only be fixed either by welding it on the front or taking the fender off and welding it from the back. Grinding the check strap indents down or removing some material from the check strap guides helps keep it quiet as well.

Here is a picture of my door strap after welding and painting. I think it looks pretty "factory".

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM
ksimpson
Racer

I had my drivers door done a couple of months ago. It was done by the OPC here in Dublin at a cost of €750. From what I read on the board before, that cost was around the ballpark that others had paid.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:59 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weld looks like the weld on the 964 doors, and the 964 doors do not seem to have the click problem that 993's do.

Check out this thread from the 964 board. The pictures seem to be gone, but they look just like Mike's new weld.

Does Your 964 Have This Weld?

As I said on the 964 thread, my early '95 has this weld. I think I got lucky, as later in the '95 year, they stopped adding this weld.

Tom
'95 993
Old 09-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Tom,

What's your '95 build date? I've got an early '95. I've noticed a spot weld but that doesn't seem very significant. If I do have this weld, I guess it's Porsche's way of making up for the fact that we have basket handle brake lights!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rezal,

My build date is 3/94. No, the weld is not significant. It's just on the bottom half of the check strap. It looks very much like Mike J's picture. I don't think it needs to be "significant." It just needs to prevent minor bending, which over time will cause metal fatigue.

Let's see, I have OBD I, which won't CEL me on the carbon problem; I have this weld, which will prevent the door check strap problem; I don't have the drive block system, but I do have a basket handle. I also have a chip which brings my power up to varioram levels. Hmmm, more fuel to the '95 versus '96-'98 debate????

Tom
'95 993
Old 09-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My May '95-build car has the small weld, yet it has recently begun to click. No basket handle (it has the later-style top-of-window light), but I do have the drive-block.

Quick Reply: fixed that door click !