Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers... KW V1 vs. H&R Street Perf.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers... KW V1 vs. H&R Street Perf.

Hi,

I appreciate all the suspension help that you guys gave me in my intro thread. I was going to order the B6/H&R combo from Carnewal but he is out of stock and i'd only see them in a month or more, so I decided to go for the V1 or H&R coilovers instead.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried both, but for the same price I think i'm leaning towards KW.

I also noticed that in the Carnewal kits he included links for the rear. Will i need to change these when i go with either of these coilover kits?

Car pic with 4x4 suspension:

Condo life.. stuffing 2 cars in one spot
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fwiw, I have the KW V1's on my C4 and while they are fairly stiff, I love them. My version of stiff might be a totally different description than yours. I say go KW V1's.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Thanks Rich! I recognize your name from the VW scene. I think KW is the way to go as well. Your ride height is perfect, are you on RS uprights? Are the bump steer issues noticeable? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:23 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't think that KW did a V1 for the 993 only V3 and Clubsport.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have KW V3's on the Turbo - nice handling shocks but have a what I think is a major flaw in their design - the rear dust covers are made of brittle plastic and they tend to catch on the side of the shock, thus shattering. To replace the cover means removing the shocks and losing your alignment.

I discussed this with KW, they said "Ooops, we had a batch of KW Shocks where we shipped with the wrong ones" - so I said OK, ship me the right ones, and what about the $300 cost for the alignment, nevermind my labour for removing/installing the rear shocks. They would not cover it, citing the legal language in their "warranty".

So the covers show up, and they are identical to the shattered ones - so I get back to them and ask WTF - and their response was basically oh you have the right ones after all, too bad, so sad, they consider what they did a "favor" and I should be happy.

At the time, I stared a thread here on Rennlist and turns out other KW owners have seen this - which when I told KW they ignored.

To add to the insult, they shipped it across the border against my instructions, and I had to cover the $40 broker fee to get two crappy plastic covers which are now sitting in a box in the shop. I am not going to install them, what's the point when the original identical pieces failed?

if I had the choice again, I would go PSS10, which was my initial inclination. I wanted to try the dual valving.. my mistake, not to be repeated again.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

You might want to approach FD Motorsports as another possible supplier. GL
Old 07-16-2014, 04:45 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

H&Rs here, which from what i heard are rebranded bilsteins. So far so good, car tracks very straight on highway, did fine during DE. I doubt it makes real difference as long as you are using good set with proper alignment.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

H&R gets their Shocks supplied from Bilstein and they use their springs. thats the H&R kit.

I would like to ride both setups and see what i like before pulling the trigger. Also if you need I can see TireRack has the suspension you want in stock, I have a Wholesale acct.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked into Pss10? I loved my pss9's. I am using H&R progressive springs with Holstein HD and they are ok. I don't like the sound the springs make when heavily compressed.

Howard
1997 911
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kacey
Thanks Rich! I recognize your name from the VW scene. I think KW is the way to go as well. Your ride height is perfect, are you on RS uprights? Are the bump steer issues noticeable? Thanks.
Haha, yep that's me. Not on RS uprights yet. Not low enough to see any real bumpsteer yet. I would like to swap to RS uprights sometime but where I am, it's absolutely fine.

Originally Posted by trophy
I didn't think that KW did a V1 for the 993 only V3 and Clubsport.
Check my thread >> HERE << . Even the guys I spoke with at KW USA didnt know why they don't list the V1's as an application, lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey
Have a TT and C4S both setup at RS height and no RS uprights. Both cars have no noticeable issues to me with bump steer.

My alignment shop, that also builds race cars says it's all about getting the toe settings correct.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I have the H&R complete coil-over kit, now for 4 years. I use my car for street driving. Nice and smooth, car stays flat on hot turns. Can be had for less than $2000 complete. The strut bodies allow for a very large range of height adjustment where the allowed minimum ROW height for a factory setting alignment is a much smaller range. The strut bodies and spring perch hardware are all nicely finished aluminium. The original torsion bar down links can be reused no problemo. I like the ride now, a significant upgrade from OE stock.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have KW V1's on my C2..No complaints.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Kacey
Instructor

Thanks alot everyone. I ended up ordering the H&R coilovers on tirerack since i have a wholesale account. So hopefully i get get them installed, the car aligned and balanced and corner weighted by next weekend!!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I am hesitating buying the H&R kit as well as it seems to be good value for the $$$, Do share your thoughts on drivability once they are installed.

Quick Reply: Coilovers... KW V1 vs. H&R Street Perf.