Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Too funny.
Back in 1999 at the inception of PCNA's new Porsche Driving Experience classes held at Road Atlanta, Hurley Haywood was our lead instructor. I'd enroll twice for the 2 day/weekend driving instruction classes that year. What a hoot.... In the end,, I was certain to have pissed Mr. Haywood off the most of any student! I'm sure of it. He would scream through my RF ear bud to do this "when I tell you" and execute what-ever-NOW!. Too funny. We ran into several class instructor's at Le Mans in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Everyone had winning Audi AG credentials .... Go figure. those were the days.

Classy car your 356 of the days....

Originally Posted by TMc993
Hey Mike,
Edit/delete ...text.
even if they did "look just like" the car that Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood were using to thrash the sports car racing world....

Terry
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

No turning back now PAG! PAY THE MAN!

http://jalopnik.com/the-saga-of-the-...ust-1564141012
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Someone needs to condense this saga into the "Hitler finds out" video.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

If anyone at PCNA had any sense, they would just give him a new car and be done with it by now. The PR hit they have taken from this story has caused significantly more damage than the financial outlay for replacing the car. Now they have a perception issue that their premier sports car has electrical gremlins. Dumbasses.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Resolution in sight!

Originally Posted by nmurray22
Good news! I have been contacted by PCNA to settle this. This whole mess will end today hopefully. Good that they are doing the right thing. Good for them.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
If anyone at PCNA had any sense, they would just give him a new car and be done with it by now. The PR hit they have taken from this story has caused significantly more damage than the financial outlay for replacing the car. Now they have a perception issue that their premier sports car has electrical gremlins. Dumbasses.
Completely agree. Given the issue with the new GT3, I'm surprised this issue hasn't been paid to go away sooner. This guy is getting a TON of exposure.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+1 .... By Nick 991's own admission the manufacture has attempted to "PAY THE MAN!". Nick 991 clearly acknowledges these attempts in his carefully crafted video's, yet has declined to acquiesce any settlement thus far. Nick 991 has in 6 months logged more than 12,000 miles to which he's paid for ... The rub as I understand is Nick 991 takes the unique position he's entitled to be fully compensated for this usage. Nick 991 didn't state this element clearly when viewing the 6 month video.

Nick 991 could you be specific as to the terms of the two nebulous "package's" ? In the same video #1 is keeping the car, towards the video's finish #2 is their getting out of the car "package". ??

I feel for you brother and yes the video's are cleaver I'll give you that. Driving a late model BMW M3 during the 5 years as you did, often without as all the while saving the funds for your dream sports car .... and then this (7) pain in the **** service distractions as you rack up 12,000 miles in 6 months. I get it.

This rally of opinion absent much if not all of the facts has the ring of a Payton Place lynching. Sure, this sucs to have a fello 911 owner endure this.

All the best, Mike

Originally Posted by neanicu
No turning back now PAG! PAY THE MAN!

http://jalopnik.com/the-saga-of-the-...ust-1564141012
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe if Nick 991 had caught a politician smoking crack cocaine or laundering money he would've been payed much sooner and none of us would have known about it. Hope it works out ASAP for both Nick and PCNA to try and recoup. Doesn't sit well when you think a large prestigious company would try to nickel and dime someone when it's an obvious QC issue.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Amazing how he can have problems every week and the next guy with the exact same car has zero. We leased a brand new A4 1.8T in 2000 and had so many problems we vowed never to own another Audi again. And people with the same car will say they never had a problem.....
I've had similar experiences with BMWs. The dealer acts like they have never come across the problems before. Sure.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The next time that there is smoke he should just walk away and let it burn. Take the dog first. My guess is that the car had some sort of incident between the factory and delivery. I know this happens. Maybe it rolled off a ferry somewhere.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default +1 Both agree and disagree ... Porsche = dumbasses, agree.

+1 agree and disagree -

Porsche's handling of it all seems to be flawed, given the severity of issues and with the accrued service time this was headed in only one direction, however we don't really know what has transpired, Nick's 991 video doesn't offer full disclose. Not by a long shot. That Nick 991s issue's are out of control? Agreed Porsche as dumbasses!

The negative PR aspect of Nick 991's crafty video account - disagree. Not even a blip on the PR screen of things. My .02 cents. Nada zip.
Porsche will not set a precedence - not officially anyway. Ready the non-disclosure doc's ...

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Too funny. Let the car burn.... take the cannoli .

Originally Posted by matt777
The next time that there is smoke he should just walk away and let it burn. Take the dog first. My guess is that the car had some sort of incident between the factory and delivery. I know this happens. Maybe it rolled off a ferry somewhere.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The negative PR aspect of Nick 991's crafty video account - disagree. Not even a blip on the PR screen of things. My .02 cents. Nada zip.
Porsche will not set a precedence - not officially anyway. Ready the non-disclosure doc's ...
The fact that Nick's story has been carried on many major automotive sites/blogs begs to differ. In this day and age, perception becomes reality very quickly, regardless of the facts. Savvy execs understand the need to tamp negative PR like this and adopt a pragmatic approach. Kill the story, satisfy the customer, take the small financial loss if necessary in order to maintain their desired image/brand. The powers that be at PCNA were asleep at the wheel on this one. The damage has been done, no matter what the truth may be. I would be leery of buying a 991 after reading Nick's story.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys think similar never happened with a 993? I had one near new 930 go through my hands back when they were newly reintroduced to the US market for '86 that I had to rewire. Porsche didn't do jack on that car for that customer. (Can't even fathom similar on a new car.)
Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Duggie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone mentioned whether Porsche cars were better built yrs ago?? I'd say yes, obviously not as advanced electronically, but with that comes bigger issues when they go wrong, as in this case.
Mass produced cars put together by robots cannot compare to those being hand built by craftsman who took pride in what they produced. All the top marques carried a premium for being built in this way, nowadays the premium is still being charged but the product is inferior, parts are mass produced out of cheaper materials, assembled in the far east by cheap labour who really don't care about whats in front of them, and why should they ?

One major advantage of modern times is the internet, this can be such a powerful tool if used in the right way (and not of course!!), how many companies want their good name and reputation dragged through the dirt on these types of sites ??

Quick Reply: In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....