Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 Agreed. Smart money takes care of issue's like this ASAP.

As ballast, back when Porsche AG (PCNA) had the 993 windshield issue's creaking defect. Along comes delivery day for my ordered '98 coupe,,,, after installing 3 new windshields over the course of several months the problematic creaking noise was not entirely cured. (technically speaking, "noises" are not covered by the Colorado Lemon Law statute. ) A couple of weeks goes bye after the last failed windshield install..... and Porsche AG reaches out offering $5K cash, a 4yr/50k mi new car warranty and a all expense paid 30K mile service at the dealership of my choice. DONE and freak' in done we were,, and when the windshield acted up by creaking, I turned up the radio; Wife's idea. Weeks later I'd learn all this " Good Will" was attributed to Rick Perkins of PNCA, the western area zone Rep. Chalk #1 up for Porsche. Lemme see,,, my wife has since bought 2 /currently drives a Porsche, many Accenture employee's own, etc., etc. A sale here and another sale there. All of a sudden you're selling cars . . . .

Nick 991 ... be done with this issue already. Your 991 S coupe's misfortune is unfortunate. Its not personal.

Originally Posted by helmet993
I work for a top 5 global automaker and ran our customer care centers for a few years, and handled customers like this every day that were sideways with their vehicle.

I'm shocked Porsche hasn't fixed this customer, and his car.

If he came to my desk, and my brand, he would be posting videos of how we stepped up to the plate, and either fixed his concerns entirely, or replaced his vehicle with one that met his expectations.

Simple.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like this Youtube video and PR nightmare has reached the current top spot on the front page of Reddit, as of this writing. http://www.reddit.com/

As far as social media exposure is concerned, this is about as good as it gets.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:30 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Not really sure if he has actually filed for the Lemon Law in his state? I have been through the process and I went to arbitration and won. My situation was with Lexus which is known for customer service much more than PCNA. Unfortunately for me, they said that the issues (related to an ABS like noise and feel when braking or over bumps) were non existent. The problems literally began the moment I drove the car away from signing the lease. I filed the paperwork after over 30 days in the shop within the first 45 days and a few hundred miles. I offered the selling dealer (I had leased 5 Lexus's from them in the 24 months prior) the option of just getting me a replacement vehicle, they too declined. To make a long story short, the arbitrator negotiated a buyout which put more money in my pocket than I had invested in the whole mess. Lexus never admitted defeat and I got my check. I drove BMW's for the next two leases but have recently gone back to a Lexus. I wouldn't be scared of arbitration, all the facts are on the buyers side (unless we're missing facts here). And by the way, the animated non US accent will probably make him sound douche'y to most Americans as we think anyone with a foreign accent thinks that they're better than us. Good luck...
Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 AM
TahitiSweetie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
of course.

What were you gonna say? I'd treat the guy like crap.

Everybody brags about their great customer service until the problem happens.
Sorry to hear you'd treat the guy like crap.

If the problems he were having were his fault, I would not do much for him except make sure the dealer was treating him fairly.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why the guy didn't just go to arbitration. I checked the law in CT. He could get a new car or he could get a refund. This may or may not include a deduction for mileage. PCNA did offer him a deal, or as he calls it a "package". If the offer was blatently unfair then he would have presented it as part of his rant. Perhaps the offer was fair, even more than fair and that's why he doesn't tell us what the offer was. Again, it's hard to draw any conclusion from just one side of the story. I've never had any issues with my new Porsches and all of my dealings have been with the dealer and not with PCNA.

Here's the CT law:

Questions Frequently Asked About the Lemon Law Program

My vehicle meets the definition of a “Lemon” and my case has been accepted for arbitration. Do I automatically get a refund or replacement vehicle?
The law provides basic guidelines for remedies, but there is no fixed rule. Each case is treated individually by the arbitration panel when determining an award. If their decision is in your favor, the award will generally be:
A replacement with a comparable new car.
OR
A refund of the contract price. The arbitrator may or may not award a mileage deduction for the use that you have had of the vehicle. The statutory mileage deduction is computed by multiplying the present mileage of the vehicle times the contract price and dividing that figure by 120,000. Refund or replacement awards may also include reimbursement for other damages or costs. We advise you to have receipts.
If the arbitrator finds the defects in question do not substantially impair the use, safety or value of the vehicle, a “no action” decision is rendered. Therefore, no further action to remedy the problem shall be required of the manufacturer. Your recourse at this point would be to seek legal counsel for private litigation against the manufacturer. You could only reapply for Lemon Law arbitration for a different defect, which meets the eligibility requirements.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

991 P car? Water cooled?

"They all do that sir."

Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 AM
Duggie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally feel for this guy, unbelievable that a major car firm can treat a customer this way, what the guy is asking for...his money back or a car of similar spec (without the extra's !!) isn't in my view unreasonable. Surely it would be in Porsche's interest to just get this sorted, all the time this guy is on the internet posting vids and being discussed on sites like this, is damaging their reputation, how many potential customers are having doubts buying a new Porsche because of this guys story ??
I know theres always two sides to a story but if i had those issues with a new car l'd be creating just like this guy, you just don't expect this treatment from Porsche.

If he went the legal route which lm surprised, and can't understand why he hasn't done this, surely the law would come down on his side, plus he would recover any legal fees he may of incurred.
Hope he gets this sorted out. shame on you Porsche...
Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Head Turner

My interest in Porsche cars extends to 1998...the last of the air cooled. You sit in the cockpit of a 993, once the car has started and the idiot lights have extinguished themselves, you could be in a 1978 911, or earlier if you don't look too close. I like that retro feature. The newer post 1998 cars are just to electronic and very complex, it would seem. Then you have the IMS disaster for the 996 cars, unbelievable.

I have 83,000 miles on my 993 and I wouldn't part with her. Best car I have ever owned.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Maybe they'll give him a GT3, pre-fix version, to make the problem go away.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shame on VW Porsche.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by TahitiSweetie
Sorry to hear you'd treat the guy like crap.

If the problems he were having were his fault, I would not do much for him except make sure the dealer was treating him fairly.
I understand how you misread my post. It should read:

What are you gonna say? "I'd treat the guy like crap". In other words, companies always say they will go to the moon and back for you and hardly ever do. There are a few exceptions, but car makers typically aren't among them.

Originally Posted by Duggie
Totally feel for this guy, unbelievable that a major car firm can treat a customer this way.
If it was not for the lemon law, the car company has met all of its obligations. It has a product, under warranty, with a problem(s). It has made attempts, and will continue to make attempts, to repair the problems at no material cost to the owner. So realistically, if it weren't for government intervention and the powers of internet sites, porsche could say its fulfilled its obligations under the purchase contract.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
My interest in Porsche cars extends to 1998...the last of the air cooled. You sit in the cockpit of a 993, once the car has started and the idiot lights have extinguished themselves, you could be in a 1978 911, or earlier if you don't look too close. I like that retro feature. The newer post 1998 cars are just to electronic and very complex, it would seem. Then you have the IMS disaster for the 996 cars, unbelievable.

I have 83,000 miles on my 993 and I wouldn't part with her. Best car I have ever owned.
oh yawn yawn. Porsches have had serious, expensive, and debilitating flaws since day one. Chain tensioners, mag cases, valve guides, head studs, ridiculous oil leaks, etc etc. Did they handle it better back then? Maybe...were they a much smaller company back then...you bet.

Porsche is in a business to make money. Do they have problems selling their ridiculously overpriced new vehicles...seems not. This video will have basically zero impact to them. So a few people don't buy their cars. There will be someone else to take their place.

I'm not saying that generating some good will by repurchasing the vehicle may not have been beneficial, but acting like this will have any sort of material impact on the company's sales or profits is silly.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Did they handle it better back then? Maybe...were they a much smaller company back then...you bet.
Or maybe not....Back when the airboxes were blowing up on the early fuel injected cars, I had a friend who was told by a service manager at a Porsche dealership to carry a tube of epoxy with him in his 911 so that when (Not if) the airbox blew up, he could glue it back together and drive to the dealership to have a new one installed. That was their "fix" for that problem.

In the not-so-distant past, Porsches were purchased primarily by "enthusiasts" (I use that word in its loosest sense) who were willing to put up with the myriad defects in the cars because there was such a strong cachet` attached to the Porsche image (This is probably most obvious on the 993 board).

I don't think that cachet` is nearly as strong as it used to be. While Porsche is experiencing record sales on most of its car right now, I wonder how long that will last if they don't get a handle on their QC issues.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Or maybe not....Back when the airboxes were blowing up on the early fuel injected cars, I had a friend who was told by a service manager at a Porsche dealership to carry a tube of epoxy with him in his 911 so that when (Not if) the airbox blew up, he could glue it back together and drive to the dealership to have a new one installed. That was their "fix" for that problem.

In the not-so-distant past, Porsches were purchased primarily by "enthusiasts" (I use that word in its loosest sense) who were willing to put up with the myriad defects in the cars because there was such a strong cachet` attached to the Porsche image (This is probably most obvious on the 993 board).

I don't think that cachet` is nearly as strong as it used to be. While Porsche is experiencing record sales on most of its car right now, I wonder how long that will last if they don't get a handle on their QC issues.
agree 100%. Porsche has traded on its reputation for decades. this is nothing new.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Pop Off valve ... install strategy. Bruce Anderson?

Hey Terry - Mike here.

Pardon readers, a slight detour to Nick's 991 6 Month ownership - I'm the victim programing.

I lived the "pop off valve" install remedy days of the 911. As an aside, was it the late great Bruce Anderson of Mountain View, CA - Excellence magazine Tech editor fame whom devised the "Pop Off valve" strategy??

And ,,,, we resume the regular programing .....
I have reached out to others who might shed light on the Nick 991 issue. Seems as Nick the cars owner has selectively opened his 991 ownership up to the public.

Originally Posted by TMc993

Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I lived the "pop off valve" install remedy days of the 911. As an aside, was it the late great Bruce Anderson of Mountain View, CA - Excellence magazine Tech editor fame whom devised the "Pop Off valve" strategy??
Hey Mike,

Not sure where that idea originated...I was driving a 356 at the time and was constantly amazed/amused/bemused at the trials and tribulations 911 owners were going through. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to pay that much money to own a car that exhibited so many problems, even if they did "look just like" the car that Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood were using to thrash the sports car racing world....

Terry

Quick Reply: In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....