Sponsored by:

OT: Singer discussion with Jay Leno

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
orp73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Why couldn't the 993 be made to look like a 1970's car.. With the right front turn signals and read headlights and some good fiberglass molding work with bumpers it would seem like a much better starting point than 964 no?

A great idea, make the 993 look like the far prettier 964, lets face it the 993 needs all the kelp it can get in the looks department
Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Why couldn't the 993 be made to look like a 1970's car.. With the right front turn signals and read headlights and some good fiberglass molding work with bumpers it would seem like a much better starting point than 964 no?
993 already looks perfect.
Would be a sin to back date it. Headlight style is too modern to look 1970's porsche IMO.

964 is easier car to back date and already has the right headlight buckets for 1970's appearance.

Would I be correct in saying 964 donors are cheaper then 993 donors?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
993 already looks perfect.
Would be a sin to back date it. Headlight style is too modern to look 1970's porsche IMO.

964 is easier car to back date and already has the right headlight buckets for 1970's appearance.

Would I be correct in saying 964 donors are cheaper then 993 donors?
This is the reason why Singer chose the 964 as a base, in order to retain the old-school looks but have more modern mechanicals (i.e., coilovers instead of TBs, power steering, etc). When Rob stated he thought the 964 was the best chassis to work from, he should have qualified it by mentioning it was the best in order to keep the classic 911 lines. I don't think 993 owners should get their panties in a bunch because they chose the 964 to work from.

There is no doubt anyone can build an awesome 911 for $100-200K and likely get 90% of the Singer experience. But I challenge anyone to replicate a Singer (parts, craftmanship, attention to detail, quality, etc) for less than what it costs SVD. It just can't be done based on the man-hours invested, R&D, and parts used. SVD has stated numerous times this is more a venture of passion than finances. I don't think the margins are significant on each unit sold.

It's fine to debate whether their pursuit of perfection is necessary (it isn't), but there is no doubt in my mind the cost required to achieve their results is completely warranted. I think it is worth every dollar it sells for and would buy one if I had the means.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Doable, 993 just more work because front tub's structure raises the hood and fender bolt line by 20 mm compared to early car's.

I wonder how much of the Singer is carbon fiber anyway.

My bet is carbon fiber for bumpers, front fenders, front hood, rear deck lid and spoiler with steel for the rest including custom welded rear wheel arches. In the video it was stated the doors are steel.

Properly laid up pre-preg cloth and autoclaved carbon fiber is expensive.

-B
Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Rob made two statements in the video. One said the 964 was "a great starting point" for them build the car (1:54), he then goes on to say the 964 was "the best chassis Porsche ever put in an air-cooled" 911 (3:03).

Regarding the construction, if you go to the Singer Vehicle Design website and look at the "The Process" gallery, you can see the extent of CF usage in the car's body. It is literally every panel except the doors.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's with the Leno hate? Nice guy. Used to hang out at the same automotive book store in burbank I used to. Very down to earth and approachable. True car guy.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
....Regarding the construction, if you go to the Singer Vehicle Design website and look at the "The Process" gallery, you can see the extent of CF usage in the car's body. It is literally every panel except the doors.
Great post. Very revealing if one looks through it here http://singervehicledesign.com/galle...s/#prettyPhoto

I note, correct me if wrong:

Engine

One shown has Mahle, not LN barrels
Rods are either Carillo or Wossner or Arrow
Pistons look non-Mahle maybe JE?
GT3 oil pump
964 Countershaft, not GT3
GT3 Crank?

Body-

It appears to me that the 964 monocoque is "skeletonized" - note the large cut out in the roof in one picture. Then an overlay of carbon fiber panels is fitted over the remaining roof and rear quarter panel structure, all probably held on with adhesive.

The usual bolt on parts, hood, bumpers, deck lid, fenders, etc. are in carbon fiber.

Very cool IMHO and expensive.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
No heat exchangers, what does Singer do for heat?
Some of the cars are equipped with gasoline heaters like some early Porsches.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post. Very revealing if one looks through it here http://singervehicledesign.com/galle...s/#prettyPhoto

Engine

GT3 oil pump
GT3 Crank?

Body-

It appears to me that the 964 monocoque is "skeletonized" - note the large cut out in the roof in one picture. Then an overlay of carbon fiber panels is fitted over the remaining roof and rear quarter panel structure, all probably held on with adhesive.

The usual bolt on parts, hood, bumpers, deck lid, fenders, etc. are in carbon fiber.

the chris harris detailed review has some interesting information

Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

No heat exchangers, what does Singer do for heat?
Singer has a fair selections of options as they should considering their market

here are the exhaust options
Exhaust • The standard exhaust system retains heat exchangers and catalytic converters and is mated to lightweight stainless steel mufflers optimized for both sound and the power characteristics . It has twin center exit pipes and is ceramic coated in matte titanium gray with contrasting polished tips .
BULLET POINT Exhaust Options
1. Lightweight stainless steel header, exhaust and heat system. [* intended for off-road use only]
A newly developed lightweight stainless steel header system has been optimized for the power characteristics of the uprated engine. This system is free from the restrictions of the normal heat exchanger system with benefits in throttle response, torque characteristics and light weight. Heating for the car is supplied by a separate ESPAR heating module that interfaces with the cars existing HVAC system. Transmission The
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Engine

GT3 oil pump
GT3 Crank?

Body-

As w/ most other areas there are options, from the current options list
•3.6-liter engine, producing 270 hp The 270BHP 3.6L engine is comprehensively rebuilt and blueprinted for maximum efficiency and retains the standard engine management system, exhaust and ancilliaries maintaining the engines regular emission calibration.
•3.8-liter engine, producing 360 hp [* intended for off-road use only] We are proud to be affiliated with Cosworth as the exclusive developer and supplier of the 360BHP 3.8L engine. This engine is built by world-class motorsport technicians at Cosworth’s ‘Center of Excellence’ in Torrance, California where the classic naturally aspirated Porsche flat six is optimized and re-built to motorsport tolerances. It benefits from true state of the art breakthroughs in intake design, cylinder head design, piston, cylinder and rod design, overall construction and engine management and successfully optimizes every facet of the classic air cooled flat six. We feel it is the ultimate compromise between a high revving , high horse-power Porsche racing engine and a torque rich, tractable and durable engine for the road.
an older list has 3 options the 2 above and a 425hp option
Singer 911 3.6L 300 BHP Base Price: $215,000
Singer 911 3.75L 360 BHP Base Price: $245,000
Singer 911 3.82L 425 BHP Base Price: $275,000
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
What's with the Leno hate? Nice guy. Used to hang out at the same automotive book store in burbank I used to. Very down to earth and approachable. True car guy.
I have also noticed the hate. To me, he just a car guy like the resto of us.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
The Singer is what a 911 should be: A stripped down, bare bones, unadulterated pure sports car.
I found the 911 you were describing.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 AM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have also noticed the hate. To me, he just a car guy like the resto of us.
Glad that bothered someone else enough to bring it up; and there was a Magnus "hate" in this string also.

Gordo
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of material Singer is using for the carpets in their cars?

Quick Reply: OT: Singer discussion with Jay Leno