Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of getting new hydraulic lifters...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Does VAT figure into parts pricing? You can buy lifters all day long here for about $38 per.
Yes it does. But the big cost is for labor....
Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

again, do it yourself.
here's the instructions
car in the air, remove wheels, muffler, air box, heater blower motor, black rubber hose, engine tin, valve cover, remove the 3 spark plugs on that sector, remove rocker shaft.
take rocker shaft to bench, pull out lifter with pliers, make sure no part of the old seal is left inside, press new lifter into place, it will pop into it's seat. replace rocker arm. repeat 2 more times, replace valve cover gasket and valve cover.
move on to next sector.

if one of the rockers is hard to unscrew you'll notice the spring is being pressured by the cam. put a big wrench on the fan bolt and turn the engine some. it will be easy because you've removed the plugs. you've removed the plugs and will replace with new because you are there anyway and it is easy while the valve covers are off.

the only part that is hard is the valve cover under that friggin power steering pump, tough to get to 2 valve cover bolts.
if you have that friggin clutch vent hose that is a pain also but needs to be removed anyway with the engine tin.
you could also remove the engine mount nuts and lower the engine some inches to create space.
otherwise this is not a hard job. in fact this is just an old car not some magical special machine that needs a few grand in labor to change lifters.
no special tools, just a small torque wrench for the low torque values.
you'll want a set of ball tip hex sockets for valve covers and engine tins, hazet makes them right across the boarder in germany.

with all the money you save in labor buy quality tools that will last your lifetime.
call FD for all the parts, I'm guessing about 600 in swiss francs.
and there are tons of pictures and instructions on rennlist.

where I live there is nothing as far as parts and air cooled mechanics and 5 years ago before I discovered rennlist I would never even have known to suggest a diy. I was forced to learn how to change the oil because no shop wanted to deal with my car anymore. in fact back in 08 the lifters on my cab started ticking, I brought it to a shop that had changed the oil previously and the owner's response was not to charge me 5 grand to change lifters, he told me to sell the car!
now every time something needs to be done I search on rennlist and save hundreds in labor and spend the money on another tool. just got a mityvac cause I can't figure out a misfire. at some point if I'm stuck I can post the problem on rennlist and probably get an answer.
this isn't rocket science, its barely math.

torque settings
rocker shaft 13Nm
spark plugs 30Nm
valve cover bolts 9.7Nm
muffler to cat and tips 25Nm
muffler strap 20Nm
wheels 130Nm

spark plug diy
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...rk_Plug_Change

informative threads
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...air-101-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ers-later.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l-ticking.html

Last edited by k722070; 12-28-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: edit torque value
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Actually, the rocker arm tq is actually 13nm, per WSM. Just did these, so fresh in my mind.

Originally Posted by k722070
again, do it yourself.
here's the instructions
car in the air, remove wheels, muffler, air box, heater blower motor, black rubber hose, engine tin, valve cover, remove the 3 spark plugs on that sector, remove rocker shaft.
take rocker shaft to bench, pull out lifter with pliers, make sure no part of the old seal is left inside, press new lifter into place, it will pop into it's seat. replace rocker arm. repeat 2 more times, replace valve cover gasket and valve cover.
move on to next sector.

if one of the rockers is hard to unscrew you'll notice the spring is being pressured by the cam. put a big wrench on the fan bolt and turn the engine some. it will be easy because you've removed the plugs. you've removed the plugs and will replace with new because you are there anyway and it is easy while the valve covers are off.

the only part that is hard is the valve cover under that friggin power steering pump, tough to get to 2 valve cover bolts.
if you have that friggin clutch vent hose that is a pain also but needs to be removed anyway with the engine tin.
you could also remove the engine mount nuts and lower the engine some inches to create space.
otherwise this is not a hard job. in fact this is just an old car not some magical special machine that needs a few grand in labor to change lifters.
you'll want a set of ball tip hex sockets for valve covers and engine tins, hazet makes them right across the boarder in germany.

with all the money you save in labor buy quality tools that will last your lifetime.

where I live there is nothing as far as parts and air cooled mechanics and 5 years ago before I discovered rennlist I would never even have known to suggest a diy. I was forced to learn how to change the oil because no shop wanted to deal with my car anymore. in fact back in 08 the lifters on my cab started ticking, I brought it to a shop that had changed the oil previously and the owner's response was not to charge me 5 grand to change lifters, he told me to sell the car!
now every time something needs to be done I search on rennlist and save hundreds in labor and spend the money on another tool. just got a mityvac cause I can't figure out a misfire. at some point if I'm stuck I can post the problem on rennlist and probably get an answer.

torque settings
rocker shaft 12Nm
spark plugs 30Nm
valve cover bolts 9.7Nm
muffler strap 20Nm
wheels 130Nm

spark plug diy

informative threads
Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

edited and corrected, thanks.
please also edit any process issues if necessary.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
I am in Ticino, southern Switzerland. Don't like taking my car out of Switzerland. Thanks, however...
You might want to consider Sharams offer to hook you up - given the size of Switzerland a trip to Germany is quick and easy, and you are saving some serious "Schweitzer Franken". Austria is close, too. Or don't take it to Munich and choose a shop in the Lake Konstanz area - RUF is not far away in Mindelheim and I bet you even they are less expensive than your shop in Switzerland! Another factor is the exchange rate Franken vs. Euro; why would you not consider your options?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 AM
993RS
Race Car

Originally Posted by k722070
again, do it yourself.
here's the instructions
move on to next sector.

torque settings
rocker shaft 13Nm
spark plugs 30Nm
valve cover bolts 9.7Nm
muffler strap 20Nm
wheels 130Nm

spark plug diy

informative threads
Are you kidding? I don't have a garage set up for that kind of work. Also, I would not want to screw up my engine...
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 AM
993RS
Race Car

I looked up on the internet to compare prices for a new basic 911 in the States vs Switzerland:

US: $84,300
Switzerland: $140,000

Close to twice!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 AM
993RS
Race Car

Originally Posted by Holytin
You might want to consider Sharams offer to hook you up - given the size of Switzerland a trip to Germany is quick and easy, and you are saving some serious "Schweitzer Franken". Austria is close, too. Or don't take it to Munich and choose a shop in the Lake Konstanz area - RUF is not far away in Mindelheim and I bet you even they are less expensive than your shop in Switzerland! Another factor is the exchange rate Franken vs. Euro; why would you not consider your options?
I realize all that, but on the other hand, I know the mechanics working on my 993: they both worked in Zuffenhausen for a number of years on the 993 and do precision work. They did all the mods I have listed, including the installation of Steve Weiner's special gearset. Expensive, yes, but I get guaranteed quality work. If something is not well done, I'd have a hassle if it were done in Germany or Austria. Outside of the experienced mechanics working here, the only other person I know of that I would trust completely to work on my car is Steve Weiner, but he is too far away...

I was just curious to see what it would cost in other countries... I am not really complaining...
Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
For those interested, my official Porsche garage gave me the following cost estimate:

$100. per hydraulic lifter...., $1200.00
gaskets: $800.
manual work: $3000.00

Total: around $5000.00
Lifters + gaskets = $2000 ,,,,I will send you those for $750 in Porsche boxes
Manual work= free if you could come to Paris and you help me.
honest
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM
993RS
Race Car

Originally Posted by geolab
Lifters + gaskets = $2000 ,,,,I will send you those for $750 in Porsche boxes
Manual work= free if you could come to Paris and you help me.
honest
Thanks for the offer, but it is too far away, apart from which my wife wouldn't let me and I am all thumbs for this kind of work. I appreciate your offer, however.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The prices they quoted you are MSRP except for the gaskets. $800 would be about right for those IF the decimal place was moved to the left by one digit. And those labor charges are book time which have no relation with reality but unfortunately is what Porsche (and every other auto manufacturer) manage to get away with. I also bill by the hour but would be charged with fraud and thrown in jail if I did what they do...

Quick Reply: Cost of getting new hydraulic lifters...