Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know your engine mounts are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts
Default How do you know your engine mounts are bad?

Ok so while I have the car on jack stands to work on a few things this winter, I thought maybe I should tackle the mounts too. How can you tell if the mounts are bad or sagging? They look original to the car with 77k miles. Upon jacking the car up from the engine case, I noticed maybe 5 mm of deflection. Not bad at all. My previous 993 with half the miles deflected almost an inch upward when jacking. I'm thinking of going Wevo blacks. TIA
Attached Images  

Last edited by P-daddy; 12-23-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: mm not cm
Old 12-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

they look fine to me.
Are the exhaust tips hanging low?

That said, I like my wevo's so much i'd likely replace stock mounts even if they were in decent shape.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The two ways I've seen on RL to know for sure if they are worn is leaking fluid or if the main fastener is stretched out compared to stock, each which kind of requires you to take them off in the first place. Has shifting become harder over time or does the shifter pop out of gears when you depress the clutch under heavy load?

I'm wondering these things too. I have some Wevo blacks in the mail right now and am excited to put them in as shifting under load doesnt feel right. I'm hoping fluid change and the new motor mounts will fix the problem and its not synchro related.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
they look fine to me.
Are the exhaust tips hanging low?

That said, I like my wevo's so much i'd likely replace stock mounts even if they were in decent shape.
What's the main noticable difference from having those mounts? I always thought they are more for track days.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Exhaust tips have remained the same distance relative to the opening. Shifting is fine. My only issue is once in a while it pops out of reverse when I'm trying to back out of the garage. No issue with shifting under load. I'm thinking sagging or not, at 17 years old she deserves new mounts. While I'm at it, I'll also inspect the trans mount and possibly add the inserts.

Quad- your thoughts on those inserts now that you've driven on them?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:19 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
What's the main noticable difference from having those mounts? I always thought they are more for track days.
My 993 had a slight "wander" on the rear at speed and shifting gears had become vague. I chased the "wander" with alignment(s) and tires to no avail. Finally, in desperation, I installed a set of WEVO blacks and the car was instantly more stable and the shifting vagueness was cured. The car has never handled better.

The downside for some would be the increase in noise from the drivetrain . I actually like it, but others would not.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

I replaced my stock 56k mile motor mounts with RS motor mounts from Sunset a couple of months ago and was VERY surprised at the difference in the car, for the better. There were no indicators that they were bad or worn out, My Post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...or-mounts.html
Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I'm with Quad...replace them even if they don't look worn. I put in WEVO Blacks and my mounts didn't look bad at 61k, but I feel a noticeable difference in shift precision and a more planted driveline.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

If your exhaust tips aren't making sparks at night the mounts are still good bro!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Nam, stop putting it off and just replace them already! Did you say you checked the mounts with the car jacked up? I think you should be checking while it is sitting on the ground to get a true reading. Regardless, after 77K miles, she deserves new mounts. I've been driving with my WEVOs for a couple hundred miles now with no regrets. The shifts are more positive plus you have peace of mind knowing the mounts are new and sound. No need to second guess.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, my experience has been contrary.

Put RS mounts on two of my 993's, the Targa and the Turbo, and did not feel any difference - nada, nothing. I have put RS mounts on a few other 993's, and if there was a difference, it might be very slight.

On all of those cars, the existing mounts looked fine and I suspect were fine. Of course, the difference would be bigger if the existing mounts were toast, but going to stock mounts would have also made a difference.

Would I upgrade to RS mounts again? Only if the existing mount were shot, and because they are simplier. I only did it because I had a set and wanted to see the difference.

No experience with Wevo or other non-Porsche mounts.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my stock mounts after 80k miles with RS mounts. I felt more vibration in the cabin - which I have gotten used to, so no problem. The rear end feels much tighter and more reponsive. The stock mounts looked ok, but they may have been worn.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Jim- I'm on it bro. Just checking with the resident experts on Rennlist

Originally Posted by JB 911
If your exhaust tips aren't making sparks at night the mounts are still good bro!
Lol. Thanks Jamie.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Nam, my old mounts didn't have much deflection, but I went to RS mounts, using the philosophy that they were getting old. I did notice a crispness when going from 1-2 under acceleration that I didn't have before, and I'd have said I didn't think I had any shifting issues. The only NVH is when the A/C is on-I can hear/feel the compressor cycle.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So what is the price comparison with Wevo blacks vs RS motor mounts? Any advantage/disadvantage from one to the other?

Quick Reply: How do you know your engine mounts are bad?