Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know your engine mounts are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The wevos are cheaper, at least when I looked on pelican for rs and the wevos. The wevos are even cheaper directly from them instead of pelican and there was no leadtime, my wevos just got here via fedex after ordering Thursday. I chose wevos because of all the praise they get on RL
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
The wevos are cheaper, at least when I looked on pelican for rs and the wevos. The wevos are even cheaper directly from them instead of pelican and there was no leadtime, my wevos just got here via fedex after ordering Thursday. I chose wevos because of all the praise they get on RL
I'd bet RS are much less expensive at Sunset.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased mine in a RL group buy
The one item I found interesting in my research was if you go in reverse and the car stalls and you do not ride the clutch replace .
Yes I replaced and it cleared up.
who'd a thunk.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:06 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by S98CS
I purchased mine in a RL group buy
The one item I found interesting in my research was if you go in reverse and the car stalls and you do not ride the clutch replace .
Yes I replaced and it cleared up.
who'd a thunk.
That's interesting. Not riding the clutch? like you mean put it in reverse and just idle , going backwards, no clutch, I'm guessing no throttle, just idle - if it stalls mounts are bad?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I believe the WEVOs are a little cheaper than the RS mounts, but honestly, it isn't a lot.

The real bargain, is that you can replace the WEVO pillows for something like $20, and essentially they would be new again.

I went with WEVO blacks, over the RS, primarily because I got a deal on them from another Rennlister. When I got my original mounts off, they were dry and seemed fine. The WEVOs planted the rear end a bit more, and there was some increase NVHnthe cabin, but not so much that I really notice. My wife couldn't even tell. After a few drives, I hardly even can tell the difference now.

I really like the simplicity of the WEVO design, and since I plan on keeping the car for a looooong time, I can refresh the mounts by buying new pillows.

The WEVO website suggests reinforcing the carrier, but only a few here have. For a street car, I do not think it is necessary, but if you want that piece of mind, by all means go ahead.

I think the WEVO were a nice upgrade and improved handling and road feel. It is a step towards a track orientd set up, which I call aggressive street. In my opinion, it is certainly livable on the street however.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 277 Posts

Wow so many great feedbacks! Just noticed that ordering directly from wevo is $300/set. Pelican is $328/set, as mentioned earlier ^.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Ok so while I have the car on jack stands to work on a few things this winter, I thought maybe I should tackle the mounts too.

They look original to the car with 77k miles.

I'm thinking of going Wevo blacks. TIA
yes, it's time...and the lighter wallet is sure to equate to a noticeable performance advantage. Probably good for 2/10ths at a track to be named later.

New motor mounts Nam, all part of the Porsche experience. Don't forget to add them to your sig line.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Someone mentioned that stock mounts may leak. I get an occasional 2-3 drops of a very black substance that eventually dries hard on the floor. I have had a hard time tracing it but it is certainly under the mount/tailpipe area. Could this be a leaking mount?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:53 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Someone mentioned that stock mounts may leak. I get an occasional 2-3 drops of a very black substance that eventually dries hard on the floor. I have had a hard time tracing it but it is certainly under the mount/tailpipe area. Could this be a leaking mount?
I dont have any experience with the Porsche mounts specifically, but out of all the
liquids in the car, very few things will dry hard. I think the motor mounts are a good place to investigate, especially since they are easier to get to than other things. My old Audi started leaking a pinkish fluid that was so hard for me to figure out. It was motor mounts.

http://p-car.com/diy/motormount/
Old 12-24-2013, 11:57 AM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
That's interesting. Not riding the clutch? like you mean put it in reverse and just idle , going backwards, no clutch, I'm guessing no throttle, just idle - if it stalls mounts are bad?
I guess the best description would be idling backwards and feathering the clutch
not applying throttle
Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I guess the best description would be idling backwards and feathering the clutch
not applying throttle
On what basis/theory is this based on? I have never heard of it, on the surface it sounds like a urban legend, so I would be interested to see if it has any basis in fact.

It would be an interesting way of testing them if it did work though...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-24-2013, 12:18 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 277 Posts

not applying throttle
And this would indicate you have mounts going bad? Interesting. I won't be able to test this as the mounts would be replaced the next time the car is lowered back to the ground.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If your motor mounts go bad one of the first things to go would be your engine tray will leave black skid marks behind!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wevos look to be great product. I chose RS only to stay with philosophy of keeping mods as Porsche aspossible.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reverse test sounds awkward.....

what's the phisical explanation behind it?

Cheers

Quick Reply: How do you know your engine mounts are bad?