Sponsored by:

best way to check oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bogie23
Adding oil with my funnel with a long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting at the end , i shoved the hose into the oil fill hole , when i was done i pulled the hose out , without the plastic fitting ! I tried fishing it out with no luck , im worried that its going to tear somethi g up , where does this hose lead to ? Resevoir or engine
I'm not sure what you are talking about...are you talking about the plastic "extension hose" that resides under the oil filler cap? I think it's purpose is allow a better pouring angle when adding oil. I know that this extension can come out if you pull on it.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

bogie used a funnel with a hose attached to it and a small plastic piece on the end of that hose. Somehow the little piece of plastic didn't come back out when the hose/funnel was removed from the filler.

Why did he use this arrangement? That's not important now. The little piece of plastic is down inside your reservoir. I wouldn't start the car until you get that piece out (it might remain there forever and do no harm but you need to find out if it will work it's way to the engine or not). You could try to remove the oil line coming from the tank to the engine and see if it comes out. You may have to remove the tank and fish it out.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i need to drop oil tank reservoir , that is the front of passenger side rear tire, dont have the manual for this car , has anyone done this before ? Havent looked at it yet , is it difficult to do ?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

If its in the reservoir , like you said it can stay there forever , what is the inside diameter hose from reservoir to engine ?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The pipe goes from the engine bay through the chassis rain and into the tank. Removal of the tank is not difficult, however it is a long and messy one.

Remove the fender liner, and then disconnect all the hoses on the tank (filler, breather, dipstick, thermostat, oil feed to engine and return line, oil lines to oil cooler and tank breather) there are 2 nuts that hold the tank in place.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

thank you for giving me direction, this is a great forum, enjoy reading about this great car, im sure im not alone, thanks again brothers
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

well , i dropped the oil reservoir , NO plastic fitting ! im hopping and praying its lodge in oil cooler line in front of the car and not the engine, this is really bothering me , any suggestions ?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Adding oil with my funnel with a long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting at the end , i shoved the hose into the oil fill hole , when i was done i pulled the hose out , without the plastic fitting ! I tried fishing it out with no luck , im worried that its going to tear somethi g up , where does this hose lead to ? Resavoir or engine ?
The fill spout runs to the main tank - any debris or clamps is a major issue since the feed to the primary oil pump circuit if fed from the bottom of the tank, and it does not get filtered until after that pump. So if you lost ANY clamps or fittings of significant size into the tank, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. Unfortunately, if its a fitting of any size, you will need to disconnect and drain the tank, and find that piece before it goes into your pump, jams it, breaking the layshaft and requiring a total split-case disassembly.

Hopefully, that piece is lighter than oil (likely) and is either in the tube feeding the tank or floating in the oil at the tank.

I would

- first disconnect the feed hose to the tank from the filler spout (you will need to removed the right rear wheel and the front fender liner to see it) and flush that out with oil, hopefully the little fitting will come out in the flush. If it was in my shop, I would run a camera down the hose, but I do not know if you have those tools.
- second I would disconnect the feed line from the tank to the engine (it goes right into the engine underneath the smaller oil filter) and drain the tank to see what comes out - if you cannot find the piece, its likely in the tank or lines somewhere. That is where it gets messy, you need to start to flush stuff out to find it.
- an alternative, is to remove the oil level sensor, if the oil is topped up oil will come out of the hole, and you can use a light to look into the tank to see if you see the fitting.

Anyways, you need to find that fitting, it can cause lots of issues. Sorry to panic you, but again, do not run the engine until you have things under control.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys respond quicker than I can type. good stuff!

not sure how you know its not in the tank - if the tank is drained, it could be stuck by surface tension to the inside of the tank.

The oil line to the engine (feed) is less than 1" id - so it could be in the line. I doubt if it made it past the thermostat, since that is oil returning from the cooler into the tank. The fitting would have had to get past the pump.

Was the car running when you topped it up?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

Yes it was running when i lost the plastic fitting , so it probably circulated in the lines ,i connected everything up , gonna go home and take the tank down again and see if i can locate an in line camera i can borrow , how much are they ? Need to find this fitting !!!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In any event, wouldn't it get caught in the big oil filter?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

Thought about that , took the big filter off and nothing ,gonna buy digital inspection camera ,
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
In any event, wouldn't it get caught in the big oil filter?
Nope
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

went to harbor freight , bought a digital inspection camera , i figured id start at the filler tube , and lo and behold there it was , about 16" in the filler tube , now i can sleep tonight , plus i got a new toy , what a great tool to have, thank you guys for all your help , all i needed was some direction , and you guys came through, thanks again
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

went to harbor freight , bought a digital inspection camera , i figured id start at the filler tube , and lo and behold there it was , about 16" in the filler tube , now i can sleep tonight , plus i got a new toy , what a great tool to have, thank you guys for all your help , all i needed was some direction , and you guys came through, thanks again
That is great news, and I am sure a load off your mind! That camera is handy at times for sure!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: best way to check oil level