Sponsored by:

best way to check oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by bogie23
Im confused , i was told to get engine to running temperature , turn engine off keep key on on position check gauge and dipstick , someone else says keep engine on the check gauge and dipstick , what is the proper way ?
RTfM.

Now that that is out of my system.
  • engine running and at operating temperature, wait to see oil temp gauge rise, then fall a bit as the oil cooler opens.
  • car on level ground.
  • check reading on dipstick
  • replace dipstick
  • note reading on dash gauge for reference

whomever told you " , turn engine off keep key on on position check gauge and dipstick " is NOT to be trusted with sharp objects.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
My gauge is always in the red when the dipstick reads halfway.
Originally Posted by boman993
I only look at the dipstick. The gauge is useless (in my car).
Originally Posted by six gun
Ignore the gauge, check the oil level with engine at temp, car on the level, and then dip, wipe and re-dip to get an accurate reading.
just calibrate the dash gauge reading by bending the spring steel support for the float in your oil tank as required.
dash gauge reads too low? bend support so float is closer to the bottom of the oil tank.
dash gauge reads too high? bend support so float is closer to the top of the oil tank.
(note, the actual procedure MAY be exactly the opposite, but I doubt it. I haven't seen the inside of the tank for 4+ years)

this is not even bicycle mechanic science, more like toilet repair science.

don't care what the dash gauge reads? then you're golden!

Craig
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
My gauge is always in the red when the dipstick reads halfway.
easy. take the gauge sender out, bend the float arm downwards slightly, and reassemble. Your gauge will immediately be more accurate.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Haven't pulled that asinine dipstick in over 3 years. If it registers anything on the gauge while hot at idle, its got enough oil in it. If it doesn't, add about a half quart.
This is what I do...of course only AFTER confirming/calibrating the gauge to the dipstick level. "The gauge is useless" is a pretty ridiculous statement...it's pretty much all I use. I simply add oil as necessary to keep my gauge in the middle...which correlates to about 3/4 full on the dipstick. If I ever see my gauge pegged HIGH or LOW....I'll suspect a problem and check the dipstick.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the gauge since new. I check it periodically with the dipstick. I have found the range on the gauge to be about 1.5-2 qts., but I'm still new at this. LOL
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't pulled that asinine dipstick in over 3 years. If it registers anything on the gauge while hot at idle, its got enough oil in it. If it doesn't, add about a half quart.

The ridiculous obsession with minute fluid level corrections in a 12+qt system is such mental masturbation.
For a guy with a car that is new to him, the only thing here that is asinine, is your answer.

People here are teaching him how to check his oil the right way, which is not a bad thing. Once he's comfortable with the car, determines any relationship between the gauge and stick, maybe he'll arrive at "godlike status", such as you.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
just calibrate the dash gauge reading by bending the spring steel support for the float in your oil tank as required.
dash gauge reads too low? bend support so float is closer to the bottom of the oil tank.
dash gauge reads too high? bend support so float is closer to the top of the oil tank.
(note, the actual procedure MAY be exactly the opposite, but I doubt it. I haven't seen the inside of the tank for 4+ years)

this is not even bicycle mechanic science, more like toilet repair science.

don't care what the dash gauge reads? then you're golden!

Craig

Craig, thanks for the heads up; I'll check out the state of the float in the tank!!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

So isn't this sort of stuff in the owners manual?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ridiculous obsession with minute fluid level corrections in a 12+qt system is such mental masturbation.
Yup

Ed, that's harsh.
The dipstick has always seems vague to me as well. I've only ever really used the gauge. Even when the gauge stops reacting, you've got 9-10 quarts I think it is. Why bother with the stick? It travels so far before its in day light and pics up so much residual oil I would imagine.....why bother. I understand he's learning the car, but the stick is silly IMO.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we really need are tips on how to actually see the oil that's on the dipstick.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
What we really need are tips on how to actually see the oil that's on the dipstick.
Easiest solution is to backdate yourself to a torsion bar chassis model...........

(We HATED the 964s when they first came out.)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
For a guy with a car that is new to him, the only thing here that is asinine, is your answer.

People here are teaching him how to check his oil the right way, which is not a bad thing. Once he's comfortable with the car, determines any relationship between the gauge and stick, maybe he'll arrive at "godlike status", such as you.
thats fine. The dipstick is 4 miles long, makes a radical bend, and is tough to read. If this is the gold standard of checking the oil, I'll stick to the gauge all day.

You all spend so much time telling anyone who will listen how great porsche engineering is but you won't trust one of the 3 oil gauges they happen to put right there on the dash.

Although there can be some degree of error on the gauge float, its safe to say if it moves at all at hot idle, you'll likely have more than enough oil to keep your engine happy. If it hits the top of the gauge or doesn't move at all, you likely need to take corrective action.

The last thing we need is another hyper **** owner who spends hours of his life thinking and worrying about whether his oil level is 3oz off the mark.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
Use a torch even in good light, the reflection from the oil makes the level easy to see

Last edited by steve porter; 10-29-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I use the dipstick once in a blue moon but mostly rely on the gauge, too.
+1
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yup

Ed, that's harsh.
.....and continues to be tiresome....just sayin'.

Quick Reply: best way to check oil level