Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to check oil level

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a reminder that in these cold winter months your car my never get up temp all the way where the valve to the front oil cooler will open and the gauge will read accurately. I have to do a decent drive and let it idle for 10 minutes before the temp gauge will read properly. You can actually see the valve open up on the level gauge.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone have any tips on how to see clean oil on the dipstick? I'm checking oil on my new 993 and it's very tough to detect.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Anyone have any tips on how to see clean oil on the dipstick? I'm checking oil on my new 993 and it's very tough to detect.
shine a torch on it, the reflection makes it easy to see
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve porter
shine a torch on it, the reflection makes it easy to see
OK, that seems a little extreme, but I'd be willing to do it if noone has any "cooler" ideas?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

By "torch" he meant flashlight.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Dplus;10886063]By "torch" he meant flashlight.[/QUOTE

correct, we also call hoods bonnets, trunks boots, fenders mudguards and thongs are worn on the feet
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by Dplus
By "torch" he meant flashlight.
I think you should use a blowtorch
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saneproductions
I think you should use a blowtorch
I might.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

FYI, with my new inspection camera , looked inside oil reservoir , there is a metal screen , so if one drops anything in the oil, it will never circulate in the system, how cool is that !
Old 03-08-2020, 01:33 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

Skipping ahead thru all the back and forth dick measuring bull**** non answers here

what is the correct process? And if it’s the dipstick then where on the dipstick should it be?

my needle is in the red and I had the oil changed before storage

it dropped a small amount of oil over the winter but nothing significant

dipstick shows oil right before the twisty part

when I bought the car the mechanic said the oil level and oil temp should point horizontally at one another

so based on the gauge I’m way low

Old 03-08-2020, 01:37 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts

Todynot, hold the dipstick with a paper towel, it will get wet and help with visibility. Trust the dipstick more than the needle. From what I have read on the forums here, anything from 1/4 to halfway on the dipstick (twisty part) is totally fine.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
Skipping ahead thru all the back and forth dick measuring bull**** non answers here

what is the correct process? And if it’s the dipstick then where on the dipstick should it be?

when I bought the car the mechanic said the oil level and oil temp should point horizontally at one another

The difference between middle of the twisty part to the bottom third of the dipstick is minuscule. It’s like 1/4 of a quart. When the car is warmed up, if you see any oil whatsoever on the dipstick you’ve got plenty of oil. I’d shoot to keep it on the bottom third of the twisty part.

The gauge will show red until the oil hits halfway or higher on the dipstick. A tiny amount of oil can cause it to shoot up. I wouldn’t sweat the gauge being red.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:35 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
The difference between middle of the twisty part to the bottom third of the dipstick is minuscule. It’s like 1/4 of a quart. When the car is warmed up, if you see any oil whatsoever on the dipstick you’ve got plenty of oil. I’d shoot to keep it on the bottom third of the twisty part.

The gauge will show red until the oil hits halfway or higher on the dipstick. A tiny amount of oil can cause it to shoot up. I wouldn’t sweat the gauge being red.

Based on these responses it would seem that the dipstick is really only considered to be the twisty part and the inch or so of straight rod below the dipstick is irrelevant then?

Really wish the dipstick was like the one in a Skylane where it’s graduated and you pretty much expect to add a quart before taking off and never leave home without a couple qts of aeroshell
Old 03-08-2020, 02:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Based on these responses it would seem that the dipstick is really only considered to be the twisty part and the inch or so of straight rod below the dipstick is irrelevant then?

Really wish the dipstick was like the one in a Skylane where it’s graduated and you pretty much expect to add a quart before taking off and never leave home without a couple qts of aeroshell
No the bottom part is not irrelevant. If there is any oil at all on the dipstick of a warm car, then there is sufficient oil so as not to worry about damaging your car. I think it’s prudent to keep oil at least on the bottom third of the twisty part.

The oil gauge is practically all or nothing. It shows very little movement until you are over halfway up the twisty part. Different cars can have different behaviors with their gauge as well which makes it difficult to compare. You have to learn how your gauge behaves. I’ve just found that it takes such a small amount of oil to get the gauge from red to halfway that I’m not worried about it. We’re talking fractions of a quart in a 10 qt system.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What a dumbass post from someone looking for help, and apparently doesn't know what is right and what is wrong. The correct info HAS been given. It's in the middle of the twist on your dipstick. The needle is arbitrary. If the sending unit's float is out of whack, and very well could be, it's meaningless. That's been stated. You check your stick on level ground, fully warmed up and idling for about a minute after you park. I'd find a new mechanic, and have them adjust the float to correspond to what is shown on your dipstick.

Quick Reply: best way to check oil level