Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yup

Ed, that's harsh.
The dipstick has always seems vague to me as well. I've only ever really used the gauge. Even when the gauge stops reacting, you've got 9-10 quarts I think it is. Why bother with the stick? It travels so far before its in day light and pics up so much residual oil I would imagine.....why bother. I understand he's learning the car, but the stick is silly IMO.
But he continues to try and impress, and missed the point in this case, IMO.

Originally Posted by DanL993
.....and continues to be tiresome....just sayin'.
There's lots of tiresome around here....
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This might be a stupid question ...however I must ask it anyway.
How do I ensure I'm on level ground? My garage has a grade and our cars have also a rake built in. I assume that if you pull front first into the garage the slope of the care would compensate for the rake, or am I just overanalyzing this.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Probably overanylizing. If your garage has a grade, I'd go for a gas station or similar to have the car reasonably level.

For the record, I check my oil with a stick quite infrequently. But, like any new owner, when I got into Porsches, I wanted to learn how to do stuff right. Which is the basis of this thread. Insinuating such seeking of advice as asinine, was the harsh retort in all of this.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Get the engine to...

180 Degrees F. You can either,
1. Check the oil after you have been driving for a bit, and use a flashlight (torch)? to illuminate the stick? This may help...need to try it.
2. Or, put a towel over the air intake grill and let the car idle for a while, the temp will come up to 180.

When I get paranoid, I just add 1/2 a quart. That usually moves the gauge letting me know I have oil in the engine, always a good thing.

I opened this thread because checking the oil is such a PITA....from what I have read, the situation has not changed, still a PITA.

The file enclosed is from 2003....I go Flat Out on these Rennlist dilemmas, nothing is too good for you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Oil Temp Gauge and comments.pdf (59.8 KB, 200 views)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I didn't see anyone trying to impress. Maybe could have delivered a little better given the newbie status of the OP, granted. It wasn't the best way to answer the guy's question, but the dipstick is a goofy design and I think rather useless. But that's me.........moving on.........

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
This might be a stupid question ...however I must ask it anyway.
How do I ensure I'm on level ground? My garage has a grade and our cars have also a rake built in. I assume that if you pull front first into the garage the slope of the care would compensate for the rake, or am I just overanalyzing this.
Over thinking things. Unless you can ski out of your garage due to grade slope, I wouldn't worry to deeply about it. Most garage floors don't slope but 1.5-2 inches in 25'.......that's not a slope, that's out of level!

Probably overanylizing. If your garage has a grade, I'd go for a gas station or similar to have the car reasonably level.

For the record, I check my oil with a stick quite infrequently. But, like any new owner, when I got into Porsches, I wanted to learn how to do stuff right. Which is the basis of this thread. Insinuating such seeking of advice as asinine, was the harsh retort in all of this.
I'll agree.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Insinuating such seeking of advice as asinine, was the harsh retort in all of this.
I called the dipstick asinine, not the question (although a search would have done wonders).

Worrying about minute differences in oil level on a car with this much oil is in fact mental masturbation. And what it results in is people overfilling because they are so concerned. I've seen it happen.

Don't worry so much OP. Check it with the stick, get a baseline for the gauge, and put it out of your mind.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanL993
.....and continues to be tiresome....just sayin'.
I made a valid point, Mr Soapbox.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Gents, timeout!!!
Time for a cocktail......
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
bogie23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil fill neck lead to ?

Adding oil with my funnel with a long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting at the end , i shoved the hose into the oil fill hole , when i was done i pulled the hose out , without the plastic fitting ! I tried fishing it out with no luck , im worried that its going to tear somethi g up , where does this hose lead to ? Resavoir or engine ?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

what is this long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting?

why would you attach a hose to the funnel? Its not that hard to get into the filler neck.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 AM
bogie23
Intermediate

Default oil fill neck lead to ?

Adding oil with my funnel with a long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting at the end , i shoved the hose into the oil fill hole , when i was done i pulled the hose out , without the plastic fitting ! I tried fishing it out with no luck , im worried that its going to tear somethi g up , where does this hose lead to ? Resevoir or engine
Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bogie23
Adding oil with my funnel with a long hose attached to it with a small plastic fitting at the end , i shoved the hose into the oil fill hole , when i was done i pulled the hose out , without the plastic fitting ! I tried fishing it out with no luck , im worried that its going to tear somethi g up , where does this hose lead to ? Resavoir or engine ?
You are still talking about the car, right?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

There's lots of tiresome around here....
+993,993
Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
bogie23
Intermediate

Yes of course im talking about the car ,where will this plastic fitting end up at ?should i be concerned ? When oil circulates , what is the size of hoses or passages oil goes through ? Plastic fitting is about 1"×1/2"
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bogie23

plastic fitting circulating with the oil - bad.

tear engine down asap.

Quick Reply: best way to check oil level