Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another 993 with rust in the windscreen cavity.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 993 with rust in the windscreen cavity.

After reading all the threads on here and the recent one by Colin from 9M I was intrigued when my 993 went in this week for a complete respray whether there would be any signs of rust. I popped in today and took these pics.

I should mention that there was NO obvious signs of rust from the outside or under the leading edge of the rubber.
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugly! It looks like you caught it before it eat the metal completely. I just did a similar repair on the 964 although it was just in the right corner. It had raised the rubber slightly but, the shop did an excellent job of repairing the area.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was only light surface stuff. Nothing too nasty but glad it'll be dealt with now.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you found it now. It would be horrible if you did the respray and it started to bubble up a few years from now.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

What is the average cost for such rust repair, assuming some new metal needs to be fabricated to deal with rust?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
What is the average cost for such rust repair, assuming some new metal needs to be fabricated to deal with rust?
$3k plus I would guess
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ If you have to repaint the cowl it would usually mean respraying the top of the car .. less for a Cabriolet I would think. This looks like the op might have been able to just clean up the rust and spray in the channel ...
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting. Glad you caught it relatively early. Post up some pics of the repair and respray if you remember. Even better would be some pics of the finished car on some of those great kiwi roads. Never been to NZ, but when mountains and beaches are just a few hours apart there are usually great roads for 993s!

For others who havn't pulled there seals out, I pull the bottom two corners of the rubber seal on both front and rear glass when washing the car (or if caught in the rain) and let it dry out like that, usually overnight. I also run a rubber tipped compressor nozzle tucked under the lower part of both seals that I don't pull out. Quite a bit blows out and runs down to the exposed corners where it can dry faster. A word of caution, if you have never pulled your seals out before they might tear. Go slowly. But still, I'd rather buy a new window seal if it can help delay rust. Another word of warning I guess, if you have rust, there is a possibility the seals may not snap back in place. Still myself, I'd rather know, the rust will only get worse if unchecked.

There was also a Porsche TSB about filling the windshield gap with what was it? To mitigate the water trap and Bruce7 did a great DIY on it which I would do in a heartbeat if I lived in a rainy environment...
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$3k plus I would guess
3K really, Im looking at a car with a similar issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

$3K is way too high. I had mine done 3 months ago, including a new factory OEM windscreen and seal for $2200. If you pull out the cost for the glass and seal, the work and paint was $1K. The shop did an amazing job and blended up at the top of the pillars, and pulled the tops of the fenders out to get paint under the cowl edge. Both sides per the pictures below were rusty, and even though it looks bad the rust was superficial.
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
gr1275
Pro

I paid $1200 for a spot slightly larger than a dime. That included a new seal. We reused the glass.

Gary
Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I think its important on how the rust is repaired. Not sure if just a normal paint job is enough, I wonder if a hardier product than automobile paint (like the POR15) is better protection for the channels since its not visible?

Cheers,

mike
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I think its important on how the rust is repaired. Not sure if just a normal paint job is enough, I wonder if a hardier product than automobile paint (like the POR15) is better protection for the channels since its not visible?
I wonder if there's anything beyond using a tougher paint that can be done to avoid the rust issue in the future?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

The 993' are totally galvanized when made - and when repainted with the existing pain removed, that galvanization is unfortunately removed. You can use zinc-based primers, but it's not the same - and often for windshield repairs they grind down to bare metal and work their way up, which is why I suggested POR15. That is not really a paint, but a epoxy coating that is strengthened by exposure to moisture (or at least that is what the manufacturer states...).

Then again, I am not a body guy. I have used products like POR15 before though, the stuff seems to be much tougher than primer/paint.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I wonder if there's anything beyond using a tougher paint that can be done to avoid the rust issue in the future?
Yes. And it was well documented by Bruce7.

If you currently don't have rust in the corners of your front and/or rear glass, this is the preemptive strike to rust in the future.

After reviewing Bruce7's post, I thought what an excellent preventitive measure to take, without spending a buttload of dough. I think the total cost including new seals (Sunset) and two tubes of Wurth eurthane sealant was less than $150

HTH

Quick Reply: Another 993 with rust in the windscreen cavity.