Sponsored by:

Broken sway bar mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Broken sway bar mount

Doing some routine work and noticed this issue with the sway mount. Did not hear or feel anything wrong with the right rear of my car, looks like it just happened as the broken piece is still clean. Had these Bilstein's installed about 6 years ago and have the original receipt, wonder if it is still under their limited warranty.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? I don't track the car, maybe just a little sporty driving on smooth roads now and then.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry I can't offer much help, but I saw a thread on this about 3 years ago.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO,...

Thats usually due to an installation error as the mount wasn't clocked properly on the shock body. I'd be surprised if Bilstein warrantied that part.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SC2993,
Looks like the sway mount has been rubbing on the arm above it (which might need replacement as well...). As Steve says, it has rotated to the wrong place and that causes it to contact the arm. It wasn't installed tight enough or worked its way loose.

I know this since I've got a bent upper arm from just such contact and need to replace it... Stupid expensive pile of bolts, rubber and plastic....mmm, but she's pretty, goes fast and sticks in corners like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth...I love her.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Bummer since you will need to drop the rear shock and thus take on an alignment as well. Those sway mounts are tricky given they can get loose, put in two locking rings next time

I like the KW system in that the sway bar mount is welded to the shock body so it cannot turn, but then again, you cannot adjust the height (that does not happen hardly anyways). KW also puts lock screws on their rings so they are less likely to move. But that does not help here...

I think you need to contact Bilstein, order up a new mount, and get it installed, and make sure the mounts are in the right spot, 21degrees from the shock bottom centerline if I remember, or basically so tie rod is parallel to the shock (ie is no sideways forces) when the car is loaded. Order another set of locking rings while you are in there ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Um, er, ah, who did the install? If professionally installed, I think there is some liability involved.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for all your responses! The install was performed 6 years ago by air cooled professionals, suspension install is above my skill set! May be metal fatigue with how low the car sits with the H&R springs, this would load the shock more than a standard set up. Played with the car in a new un-opened development last week on concrete roads, did a few fast turns and a round about in a cul de sac too. That might be where the damage occcured.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2993
Thanks for all your responses! The install was performed 6 years ago by air cooled professionals, suspension install is above my skill set! May be metal fatigue with how low the car sits with the H&R springs, this would load the shock more than a standard set up. Played with the car in a new un-opened development last week on concrete roads, did a few fast turns and a round about in a cul de sac too. That might be where the damage occcured.
very unlikely.
more likely = the mount rotated on the shock body which then allowed forces to be applied to the piece in vectors that it was not designed to withstand.
It looks like it had rotated ~ 20 degrees anti-clockwise to me.

if there is enough room (threads), a lock ring installed under the mount and tightened against it will reduce the chances of it rotating in the future.

sorry to see that this occurred.
but
it's a pretty simple fix if you can source the drop link mount.
  1. raise the car
  2. remove the coilover, (you may have to drop the lower control arm)
  3. note the current position of the existing mount (height on threads)
  4. remove the broken mount
  5. install a lock ring and the new mount in the correct "clocking".
  6. reinstall the coilover
  7. have the rear of the car aligned.

you may as well do the same for the other side also since you need to have the rear aligned anyway.

have fun.

Craig

Quick Reply: Broken sway bar mount