Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going in for a windshield replacement....anything I can do to mitigate a disaster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Kent,

You can contact the glass guy and find out if he has the templates.
If not, I would be glad to loan you the set I own. You can email me directly at m.capocefalo@aainy.com.
The inner and outer trim (seals) are separate purchase items.
What does the template look like? Can you scan and post a copy? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My windshield makes noise too. Can someone explain what rope does and where I can buy it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoles
My windshield makes noise too. Can someone explain what rope does and where I can buy it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ield-rope.html

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

To save you and the installer some time and aggrevation, I suggest that you take the dash off ahead of time so he can disconnect the old antenna lead and attach the new one. It's the easiest way to get to it.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
To save you and the installer some time and aggrevation, I suggest that you take the dash off ahead of time so he can disconnect the old antenna lead and attach the new one. It's the easiest way to get to it.
Umm...take the dash off!? Please elaborate.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
When we did mine, we took off the trim piece for the window defrosters. Access to the antenna lead is actually thru the front boot, thru the fire wall. We disconnected the passenger side hood strut to improve our access, but it still was a trick.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Remove the metal defroster trim strip to access dash cover screws; Remove both trim plates at each end of dash to access additional ones.
The last and most difficult part of removing the dash cover is removing the center vent to gain access to one nut holding the center. Here's a thread which explains various ways of doing that: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-removal.html. I suggest using a magnetic screwdriver and nut driver or magnetic pick-up tool in conjunction with screwdriver or nutdriver in order to avoid losing fasteners. Unless you run into a problem removing the center vent, the whole job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes and will gain you immediate and easy access to the antenna lead connector. Your windshield installer will thank you!

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 05-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

wow, thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The seals do not come with the windshield. The outer seal has flocking on the inside to keep it from creaking. Not sure if that was a change? No rope needed. I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

So, this past Saturday was the day....I took the 993 over to Omaha and it went under the knife. I had the dealership there set up the job thru the guys they use for all their windshield replacements - last summer I was over there and the guy was doing a CGT windshield, so I knew I could trust them - it turns out, its the local Safelight. I have to say, it all depends on the installers because this guy was a perfectionist. He also didnt mind a crazy owner watching him do his thing....calmly chatting as he did his work and showing me certain things as he went. It was obvious he was used to working on these cars. The other nice part about this was getting to check out the A pillar bases - NO RUST! He was impressed with how good they looked....got a few pics so the next owner can see the proof

He also used the templates I borrowed (thanks Mike!!) to check his work. After he was done, I waited about an hour and drove the car into the trailer (my Dad had trailered his GT3 there so we decided to just trailer home the 993). I let it sit over night and took it out today....perfection. Its so nice staring thru clear glass with no pits or chips.

Here is the obligatory pic after a wash and rain x application:

Thanks for all the tips guys!

PS, we didnt have to remove the dash. We just removed the hood strut and he was able to slide his hand back there and unplug the antenna. Then, he used a feeder guide wire to pull the new antenna wire thru and connect it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Lets hear about the blue car lurking in the background.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Wink

+1 on the blue car in the garage. Not sure about the setup on the bike !
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

haha...the turquoise blue 993 is a family friend who stores his car at my Dad's shop in the winter. It is one VIN number off from mine, so the cars were born together That bike is not over the car...its deceiving, but its several feet forward from the front of the car. My Cayman S is usually parked in that stall, and there is no way in hell I would let anything near it that could fall! I have the turquoise car because I am putting a new battery in it and making sure it gets a few miles on it until Joe wants it back....sooner or later, Ill just buy it from him haha.

Quick Reply: Going in for a windshield replacement....anything I can do to mitigate a disaster?