993 Forum 1995-1998

Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"

Researched here about 2 good methods: Pedro's Ice Wax, which, for most, seems to do the job usually for a few months. Also I read about the OEM windshield "rope", which seems to be the one-time fix.

I went with the rope.

Used some silicon lubricant to ease it in. The gaps were not completely even so some places I was able to stuff double the rope in, some places it was hard to get even one piece of it in.

40 minutes later it was done. This is an easy DIY that anyone can do, and cost me less than $30 for the rope and the silicon spray.

No more creaks at all.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, I've really got to do this.

I bought a small bottle of Pedros, but it was a royal PITA to apply, and it made a mess. I gave up before I could tell if it made any difference.... I think my problems may be due to the liquid type (I couldn't find the aerosol spray.) Also, I notice that the bottle I bought is a *new* formula, and not sure if it works for our purposes as well as the old type?

Anyway, I think I will be trying the rope. Thanks GB*Dlx
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the "rope" a dealer only item? How much does it cost?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
I don't know if it's a dealer only item. Got mine at Beverly Hills Porsche for $20. It's a 996 part number.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goofball, keep an eye (ear, lol) on it and see how long it lasts. fwiw, the boys down at 200 N. Motorworks say they aren't too impressed the OEM kit and have a guy that will come by the shop, take out the windshield and work his mojo on it. Big price difference, however: $125. But apparently it's an 'almost forever' fix.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cell Rubber Cord P/N 996-541-903-00. $24 when I bought it at the Dealer about a year ago.

There's nothing very special about it but it's chaep enough that it probably not worth chasing after it elsewhere.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I always wondered if the rope fix would contribute to retaining moisture and eventual rust in the lower windshield area?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
I always wondered if the rope fix would contribute to retaining moisture and eventual rust in the lower windshield area?
I thought about that too, but the rope seems to fill the gap pretty good, it's got a waterproof silicon spray around there now, and all of it, of course, is underneath the rubber seal that surrounds the windshield.

I figure the rope at least minimizes the volume of water that can get in, and since that area is now packed with rope instead of nothing, perhaps it'll keep the water at bay.

The other thing is this rope is easily removed, for whatever reason you might have, up to and including looking for any signs of rust in the gap.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water will get around anything that isn't completely sealed. I bet the rope doesn't affect how much water sits under the seal. It's something worth checking. (Not that most 993's aren't driving around with water trapped under the seals 95 percent of the time anyway....)
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I figure the rope at least minimizes the volume of water that can get in, and since that area is now packed with rope instead of nothing, perhaps it'll keep the water at bay.
Good point. If the paint around the windshield hasn't been disturbed (by a local installer/whomever), then you're good to go. But if that windshield was replaced by an incompetent quick-fix shop, then it will rust, rattle and role. I've battle those problems for years. But even with the rope around the windshield and with Pedro wax for lubrication, it sometimes washes out due to rain and reapplication is necessary. However, all of those work a rounds were eliminated after I had a new windshield installed by the guys at Safelite Autoglass. They know what in the hell they are doing. I can ride on the worst roads and not hear a squeak, crack or rattle anywhere around that glass.

Ken
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

My MY98 with an August 97 production had its windshield replaced by Porsche NA under its new car warranty more times than I can recall; the 2 year whole car warranty was extended to 4 years total, with unlimited mileage to boot. Porsche NA even coughed up a generous $ offering on their own for my troubles; a good relationship with the western district zone manager went a long way. All that said, Porsche's Werk 1 facility located within the factory compound replaced the windshield once and for all in late 2001. Nine years & 30K miles later and the windshield hasn't made a sound. When asked about the fix it was said to be a new style seal combined with a new alignment tool. FWIW.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 06-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the rope fix but the creak came back i may need to stuff more in since i have left over ropes, hopefully that'll help
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911ist
i did the rope fix but the creak came back i may need to stuff more in since i have left over ropes, hopefully that'll help
If it helps, I stuffed so much in; I went around the windshield more than once and had none left when I was done.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

There’s an email sent to a contact at Werk 1 asking for clarification. Yeap,, it’s a long way for what is an historic issue at this point. What is the latest greatest TSB on the issue? IIRC the 993 series used at the time a new glazing approach which was to be a benefit to both the assembly process and the cars appearance, again IIRC.

I’d like to replace the windshield because of a recently developed rock chip - turned vertical crack located all the way out of the drivers view, its located on the passenger side perimeter of the windshield. Or just as soon leave well enough alone…..if a tried and true “fix” isn’t possible to replicate. I tell you, it’s been nice these past 10 years not hearing a peep out of the windshield and simply the only maintenance has been to clean it.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
PaulWood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the cell "rope" thing this morning and took my 993 for a quick spin. So far, no noise from the dash area (windshield). I used some silicone spray to lubricate the space under the rubber weather stripping and the rope slid in quite easily. Added two extra lengths under the windshield and one extra at the top. The weather stripping still made tight contact with the body - no gaps or bumps. Project, including clean up and quick spin, took no more than an hour. Thanks to all the contributors of this thread for such helpful advice.

The rope (996 541 903 00) cost me $22 at my friendly Porsche dealer. They had to order it in, but it only took a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"