Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Sound Rebuild Rebound Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Another thought (probably a lame one)... is it possible that your new starter is NOT retracting from the ring gear and is spinning like mad with the engine running? That will certainly heat-soak that starter. Good luck tracking this down... we are all following this thread with interest.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Hey Peter, Glad you have her running again, that is the first major step. Shut down and Starter issues would not be related.

Is the car throwing a check engine light as it shuts down? If so would be good to get the codes if possible.
Do you have to boost it after the shut down? or is there enough charge in the battery? If it is shutting down and the battery is dying then there is a chance the alternator is at fault.

Checking the charge system as it is running could help check the regulator and alternator health, if the voltage is jumping around or low could be issue there.

I would also check the resistance of the Cylinder Head Temp sender located in cylinder #3, making sure it is working ok, I could shut down if it senses an overheat, same could be done for the oil temp sender as well. It may not be overheating but the sensor being faulty could send a false signal. Both of these should show up with a check engine light.

Good Luck.
No check engine light and no codes. Plenty of charge left in battery - starts up next day as if nothing has happened.

I assume I check resistance at the connector in back left engine bay. What value should I be looking for?

The oil temp sender seems to be operating normally at least according to dash gauge.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

When the engine shuts off by itself, have you tried to crank the engine manually? 19mm wrench on the crank pulley and check if it will rotate easily until you get to the compression point and beyond to the next tdc and so on?
Maybe your tolerances are too tight and the motor will stall due to friction? Side load on thrust bearings?
Just a thought.
Ed
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Low battery, alt not charging properly is my guess. See if the lights on makes it die sooner.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techman1
Low battery, alt not charging properly is my guess. See if the lights on makes it die sooner.
Seems if it were a battery problem,it wouldn't fire right up after just sitting a few hours.

Emerald
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I know, but it is the only thing that ties the two symptoms together.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
No check engine light and no codes. Plenty of charge left in battery - starts up next day as if nothing has happened.

I assume I check resistance at the connector in back left engine bay. What value should I be looking for?

The oil temp sender seems to be operating normally at least according to dash gauge.
I will see if I can find the resistance range for the sensors for you.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I would ignore the problem for now, get the car driveable and then let Porsche swap the harness. I know it will be touch and go getting there (you could trailer it). They can swap the starter for you at the same time i'm sure. They have to undo a lot of gubbins to get the harness changed, so it may well clear the issue. Plus all bets are off with the old harness. Mine was burnt to a crisp. Literally.

Best of luck

Berni
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping it's something minor.

Last edited by Rialas; 02-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wishing you the best. Have you got an update?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this and seeing all the critcal pictures; no way am I trying to rebuild my 993 case internals! When I was younger I was casually rebuilding engines in a Jag E-Type and some PontV6 and 'Vette V8 and those were no problem(s), but these 993 engines are in a league all by themselves. I could handle the heads/cams and pistons, but the case itself seems daunting ! Wonder what Steve would charge to straightforward rebuild a shipped 993N/A or 993TT case shipped to him ?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
After reading this and seeing all the critcal pictures; no way am I trying to rebuild my 993 case internals! When I was younger I was casually rebuilding engines in a Jag E-Type and some PontV6 and 'Vette V8 and those were no problem(s), but these 993 engines are in a league all by themselves. I could handle the heads/cams and pistons, but the case itself seems daunting ! Wonder what Steve would charge to straightforward rebuild a shipped 993N/A or 993TT case shipped to him ?
I think the key is a lot of prep, research and to be very meticulous, going step by step. The Pelican engine rebuilding forum is especially helpful, lots more technical knowledge specific to engines than on this forum, and you can get lots of help (and opinions of course..)

If you have done other engines, a 993 is well within your capability, and in fact you can do it twice for what a engine rebuilder would charge, given your labour is free. Its 30-40hrs min for a complete teardown and rebuild, with splitting the case, and then there is the cost of machining, new parts, gaskets, etc.

Unless something really major has happened to your engine, the bottom end of the 993 (possibility excluding a slightly weaker rod bolts) will last a long long time, so most rebuilds revolve around valve jobs and sometimes replacing the rings. I split the case on my rebuild just because I was there, but I found everything was in spec and it was not required. There was a bit of wear on the layshaft bearings (typical) but nothing that would not have gone for another 100,000 miles.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L23FPorsche
Wishing you the best. Have you got an update?
Here's the update. The posts about tolerances being too tight got me down but made me think through how this could have happened.

I went back and reviewed all my pictures of the tolerances (showing plastigauge) for both the mains and the rods. All were well within spec.

Additionally, I remembered that his symptom (shut down)happened BEFORE I even opened the bottom end. As I know, anything is possible, but I am hoping to find something else.

So I finally got my laptop running (another story) and was able to attach my scantool and read the codes. Lo and behold I got one: Code 1118, RPM Signal.

I was super careful when I attached the sensor to the case and carefully measured the gap. It was 1mm.

My next thought is could I have mixed up the connections in the back left engine area so I will be checking that next. IIRC, they are all color coded and I matched the colors but I'll have to do a double check.

I'm also gonna run the car until shut-off with the scan tool attached and see if I get strange RPM signals near the end when it gets hot.

Then I will try to advance the engine by hand and prey that it will move.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Peter,

You are right with the color coded plugs for the Head Temp and reference sensor.

Check to see if the wire for the reference sensor hasn't been damaged, crushed etc.

There is a test for the reference sensor, however you need access to an oscilloscope to do the testing. If you have access you connect the oscilloscope leads to pins 48 and 49 on the DME and check the signal, you are looking for at least 3v and a good saw tooth pattern.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trophy
Hey Peter,

You are right with the color coded plugs for the Head Temp and reference sensor.

Check to see if the wire for the reference sensor hasn't been damaged, crushed etc.

There is a test for the reference sensor, however you need access to an to do the testing. If you have access you connect the oscilloscope leads to pins 48 and 49 on the DME and check the signal, you are looking for at least 3v and a good saw tooth pattern.
Will be checking wire - maybe got caught somewhere. No O-scope. I have now seen the word, "oscilloscope" enough to know I should buy one if I come across at a garage sale. We still live in an analog world...

Quick Reply: Strange Sound Rebuild Rebound Thread