Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 993: Narrow body vs wide body -- help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013 | 10:19 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fox 3
I think the wide body is too wide and doesn't look right without the spoiler on the lid.

I like the "narrow body" better because the rear is still quite wide, especially when seen from the back.

Then again, I'm a big fan of the basket handle too, so go figure.
You have officially lost any and all credibility with this post. Turn in your member badge.

I have owned a C2, C2S, and a Turbo. The C2S was the best looking of the bunch and was the best at AX due to the set up and training wheels I had on it and although the TT is significantly faster I had more fun with the C2 on the track because I wasn't too worried about putting 4 off and the HP in the C2 was and is still too much for my talents.

A C2 by itself looks plenty wide and is a beautiful car in its own right, but sitting next to a C2S makes it less good looking.

Worth the $10K? It was to me.

Last edited by UserA; 03-31-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2013 | 01:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

We can argue all day about NB vs. WB, but it's already been decided by the marketplace. As noted above, the widebodies command about $10K more. That says it all. Case closed.
Old 03-31-2013 | 02:09 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I have never been into big asses but there are some things I will make an exception.
Old 03-31-2013 | 03:40 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Question

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
So I'm left to wonder if Dan's comment that the NB was a "better looking" car is any more absurd than thinking that aerodynamics is really ever a tangible factor when purchasing a 993 from a performance advantage standpoint.

Some opinions are absurd. Some are different. Maybe the art is knowing the difference.
Normal people don't waste time typing disparaging replies to "absurd" opinions that have no material impact on them. An insecure person might, though.
Old 03-31-2013 | 04:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

To me it comes down to 2 easy to say, tough to decide, points. 1) Budget and 2) preference.

Budget: NB is cheaper than S is cheaper than Turbo. Turbo gets you all the turboness, so there is that if you can afford it. If I could, this would be my choice, period.

Preference: WB has the 2+ inches (total, not per side), and some bits such as brakes. Some like the tail, some hate it. Some love the different nose (most don't hate the S/Turbo nose). Some love the wide hips (most do), some it doesn't matter. Also depends on what sort of car...cab or Targa makes a WB a near impossibility.

Everyone here has a different budget and different tastes. I could have afforded an S, but not a Turbo, but instead of spending $10k on 2", I spent (over) $10k on mods and have the car the way I want it.

That's just me.

In terms of value? These aren't that rare...some say they will go up, some say they will go down. If you drive it each time like a roller coaster, you can factor in thrill money and at least come out even
Old 04-02-2013 | 03:33 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Originally Posted by race911
OK then, someone 'splain to me how the: 1. weight, and/or 2. aero "advantages" of a standard 993 is in any way, shape or form relevant to operation of any 993 in the United States on a public road. Were I having the exact same conversation with any of our friends in Germany, sure completely different set of performance parameters you can explore--top speed, and acceleration to top speed. So that's where I find the absurdity in the discussion of theoreticals. Always have.

(To the point of somewhere, some 993 when new was faster in some exercise, sure. Give me some relevance on how that matters to any of these cars are set up 15-19 years later. We've learned a lot over the years. And with our personal cars we don't have product liability lawyers chasing what many see as an unsafe product.)
Sure, "discussion of theoreticals" can be an "absurdity", but imagining possibilities can be half the fun of owning a car which is built for speeds twice the maximum highway speed limits. I mistakenly assumed that owners of cars as "absurdly" over-engineered as the 993 were all on board with that "fun" aspect of ownership. I'm sure someone like "goofball deluxe" will be along shortly with some insulting comment about Dan "trying to rationalize a bad choice", but I suppose that's part of the fun, too, and provides some entertainment while on the commode letting rip some goofballs.
Old 04-02-2013 | 03:58 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember hearing (or reading) that the NB is minutely faster through a slalom course.

Or is that just a myth perpetuated by NB owners.....?

Whether it is relevant to our operating speeds or not,

Inquiring minds would like to know...is/was the NB tested faster through a slalom? Or is that just a myth perpetuated by NB owners.....?

Old 04-02-2013 | 04:13 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan V
I'm sure someone like "goofball deluxe" will be along shortly with some insulting comment about Dan
Are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person?

I don't rationalize much, except posting 3500 times without ponying up $17 for a membership. Oh wait, that's not me

All 993s are great. Feel better now?
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:37 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

JEE's! OMG! I thought I'd see a relevant diatribe. BUT NO!!! I see inflated egos, wanna be's and accusations.

GROW UP! It was a question about preferences. Now it;s become a he said, you said, you're FOS etc. Looks like y'all here are 15 years old!
Old 04-02-2013 | 07:50 PM
DanQ
Pro

Get a narrow body, Then you can put an RS wing, spoiler, and splitters on it...

You can't go wrong with any choice.
Old 04-02-2013 | 11:17 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Looks sweet DanQ!!!!
Old 04-03-2013 | 01:49 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

If you have parking space issue, get a NB.

Any well sorted 993 model is a good choice. The premium you'll pay on a C2S or 993tt will be refunded if you sell it because the market is stable. So if you have the wallet and prefer a model, get it, you won't regret it. And if your mood and/or wallet change, then sell it and get another, you won't loose much doing this neither.
Old 04-03-2013 | 10:01 AM
e30_325is
Track Day

Thanks for everybody's input. I think I am going to follow the consensus and look for the best car that I can afford.

If anybody has or knows of a 993 coupe that is for sale, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:37 AM
fadifadi
Track Day

Originally Posted by MKK993
I wanted a C4S or C2S when I was looking three years ago, but couldn't justify the price premium. I ended up purchasing a NB and used the extra money for upgrades and a turbo bumper. I am still happy with my decision.
did you install the turbo spoiler on a narrow body ? can you share few pics
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:50 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Attached.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: WTB 993: Narrow body vs wide body -- help me decide