993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB 993: Narrow body vs wide body -- help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Any chance you could forward this on to all the major media outlets and government officials of the past 30 years or so as well?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
OK, school me then. I've got files of data since acquisition has become relatively affordable (circa 2005), and before that a lot of notes from what I could gather in the cockpit and remember enough to scribble down when I came in. Happy to compare any/all.

But if we're going to remove ourselves from competition, it's even more absurd to think merely street driving in the US would lead someone to care about negligible differences in top speed, and the time it takes to get to that point.

(Of the names someone might use to describe me re: air cooled 911s (and to an extent 356, 914, 924/944 N/A and Turbo, and 928), I wouldn't think ignorant is the word that comes to mind. Well, except for one guy here.)
Not interested in having a discussion with someone who would label others' opinions as "absurd" because they are different. You can put in your notes that you scared Dan away from the debate.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Not interested in having a discussion with someone who would label others' opinions as "absurd" because they are different. You can put in your notes that you scared Dan away from the debate.
So I'm left to wonder if Dan's comment that the NB was a "better looking" car is any more absurd than thinking that aerodynamics is really ever a tangible factor when purchasing a 993 from a performance advantage standpoint.

Some opinions are absurd. Some are different. Maybe the art is knowing the difference.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember hearing (or reading) that the NB is minutely faster through a slalom course.

Or is that just a myth perpetuated by NB owners.....?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember hearing (or reading) that the NB is minutely faster through a slalom course.
Could be true, but I wonder how aerodynamics play, or don't play, a factor in a slower speed slalom course. And I'd imagine that the WB cars make up for much of that minute difference by being able to brake later with their minutely better Big Red Brakes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK then, someone 'splain to me how the: 1. weight, and/or 2. aero "advantages" of a standard 993 is in any way, shape or form relevant to operation of any 993 in the United States on a public road. Were I having the exact same conversation with any of our friends in Germany, sure completely different set of performance parameters you can explore--top speed, and acceleration to top speed. So that's where I find the absurdity in the discussion of theoreticals. Always have.

(To the point of somewhere, some 993 when new was faster in some exercise, sure. Give me some relevance on how that matters to any of these cars are set up 15-19 years later. We've learned a lot over the years. And with our personal cars we don't have product liability lawyers chasing what many see as an unsafe product.)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinomd11
I am out of the country at the moment. But I don't believe I'm wrong on the info. Definitely get larger wheels-Tires, Brakes, Suspension with the 4S over the 2S in 1996. The width of the Wide body I will get back to once I look it up when I get back.

The C2S came with 17's rears and narrower tires. The 4S came with the Turbo Wheels and Tires. 18-285/35. TurboBrakes which the C2S didn't, and the Turbo suspension which the C2s didn't have.
Dude. Stop. Seriously.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Dude. Stop. Seriously.
Lets wait for his response. He's reminding me of CROME.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Since my car is apparently wider than a GT2 now I love it even more!

I always wanted a wide body and was lucky enough to find the one I wanted. If I had ended up with a "narrow" body I would have installed a wide body front bumper which I really like on the nb cars. In my case I didn't have to pay a premium for the wide body because I was willing to buy a high mileage car.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Anymore shots of your WB? Those wheels look great!

Curious about the size and specs too.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight

Nam...you've been busy! Car looks great sans tail, front spoiler, and wheels. Can't wait to see it in person at Hershey.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight

Thanks. I have to post up some mod pics when I get home from vacation. Anyhoo they're 8.5 x 18 F and 10 x 18 R

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Nam...you've been busy! Car looks great sans tail, front spoiler, and wheels. Can't wait to see it in person at Hershey.
Joe- i've been doing some late night work to get her the way I like. Wheels with stepped-lip a must! Then turbo S wing begone! She looks so much better now. The tall wing takes away how fat the *** really is. Looking forward to seeing you at Hershey too bud!!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Fox 3
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 390 Posts

I think the wide body is too wide and doesn't look right without the spoiler on the lid.

I like the "narrow body" better because the rear is still quite wide, especially when seen from the back.

Then again, I'm a big fan of the basket handle too, so go figure.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys crack me up. It's the color of the car that determines the fastest, not the body width. And the white ones, of course, are the ones you want. Why else would Porsche paint all it's race cars white?

Quick Reply: WTB 993: Narrow body vs wide body -- help me decide