993 Forum 1995-1998

AMGfan Speedster Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMGfan Speedster Project

I've always been a Speedster fan...way back in the mid 80's when I was in college...the 964 Speedster was gorgeous to me. The 993 Speedster...forget about it...I love it.

So when perusing the Rennlist threads I came across the Speedster Type 993 photo thread and my build juices would not stop flowing...I just finished my 993tt coupe build and I figured this would be a great next project.

I have to give great kudos to Curve Lover's Speedster...that is a thing of beauty and what inspires me to start this project.

Chris@C2Design (Tampa, Florida) is my project manager as they are with all my builds (8th one at this point)...and he has the Speedster parts lined up with the wide body parts needed.

I've contacted Steve Weiner@Rennsport as the engine/transmission/ECU resource...I had Chris@C2Design speak with Steve today and Chris was impressed with Steve's breadth of knowledge and candor with what is needed and what isn't.

This will be strictly a street car and we expressed to Steve we wanted to maximize the 3.6L potential...fortified top end, shorter gear ratio box with LS, lighter flywheel/clutch assembly, etc...and whatever Steve feels is needed for a responsive and stout engine/transmission.

As far as the interior...we are going with simple and light...no A/C, no stereo, RS door panels, lighter seats...but with much better materials (suede and leather)...exterior in Guards Red and interior either in black with deviated red stitch or charcoal with deviated red stitch. Also, since this will be a car I will only drive in good weather...we still may delete the convertible top altogether. That still up in the air right now.

The biggest issue now is find the right donor car...we really don't care the color of the exterior or interior...or the mileage (100,000 miles should be no issue)...just as long as it isn't a roll over car or salvaged title. We will vitually gut it anyway and rebuild the engine to our spec.

I thought we found one today...it had over 100,000 miles and in the low $20K but it was a C4...it still maybe an option if we can minimize the cost to buy the car to offset the cost of buying a C2 transmission.

That's it for now...I'll post pics of the donor car...the Speedster parts, wide body parts, etc.. as part of the build. Thank you Rennlist for being such a great resource...I plan to make this a special project that enhances the tradition you guys have set forth...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't wait to see this project take off what is your budget for this project?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Jon - I can't wait to see what you do & I'm looking forward to the build thread. Your tt is stunning.

Best of luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"Rennlist - making the world a more beautiful place, one 993 Speedster at a time."
There are inspiring Speedsters on this forum (blue, Arena Red, silver, & white...) that are very beautiful!
Originally Posted by AMGfan

993 Speedster...I love it.

I came across the Speedster Type 993 photo thread.
Funny thing is, the last 3 days I've been drooling over your new Speedster build threads on luxury4play.com and 6speedOnline.com, then eagerly re-posting them on the Speedster Type 993 photo thread; thrilled to see you've started a RL thread now, too

I have to give great kudos to Curve Lover's Speedster...that is a thing of beauty and what inspires me to start this project.
You really shouldn't encourage me - my sickness is bad enough

Jon-- You've surrounded yourself with talent, skills, and experience. Plus, you've got the two things that will bring that together perfectly: passion & vision. You've already created amazing cars (I'm a big fan of your 993TT), & I'm confident you'll take your Speedster to the next level. Can't wait to watch the show

Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

good luck with the project! It won't be easy but it worth the effort! I know it very well..
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

RP993...Chris and I reviewed your thread very closely...we really love the detail and passion in your project. The end product really came out beautiful...

Each of my builds has extended my patience and frustration level but at this point it is part of the pain you endure for that satisfaction you get once you start driving your project...granted probably 90% of the people you meet will NEVER know the level of detail and countless decisions you needed to make to get to that point but it never really is about that in the end.

I still walk by my garage and look at my projects and it really is for my personal enjoyment and for those folks of like mind...heck who is going to notice the crest on the floor matt, the stitch on the door handle, or the embossed AMG on the headliner?

I've got Chris@C2Design dealing with insomnia thinking about this project...it really is a disorder for car guys...not many people understand...I don't think I want to be cured...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Cant wait to follow this one. Also dont necessarily discount the C4 (if its a 993) because of the transmission. Making C4's into C2's is easy and common. Do you have any links to the tt build? For Nick (Nurburger) to call is stunning says allot!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Here's a link Mark - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...3tt-build.html
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow! Nice leatherwork! Thanks for the link Nick. Cant wait to see this one. also insterested in the 997tt build. I love this place!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Jon,
i can 100% understand your "sickness" since i have the same problem, except the insomnia

i guess, we both enjoy the challanges of a car build project, this is what push us forward.

once again, good luck with the project, can't wait to see the detailes!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kudos. I applaud your passion and execution.

Emerald
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Chris@C2Design (Tampa, Florida) is my project manager ... he has the Speedster parts lined up. I've contacted Steve Weiner@Rennsport as the engine/transmission/ECU resource...

This will be strictly a street car and we expressed to Steve we wanted to maximize the 3.6L potential...
As far as the interior...we are going with simple and light...

Also, since this will be a car I will only drive in good weather...we still may delete the convertible top altogether.
Hi and welcome to Speedsterland, here's my curriculum Vitea:

Like Arpad said, half the fun is the build journey so you've got quite a ride ahead of you.

Just noting some of your goals above, I have some suggestions based on my experiences and what I've learned during mine and other's builds ...

If you're not going all the way and building a car with a functional top, then the need for real Speedster doors and side glass, the clam shell and hinge assembly and really .. the speedster unique windshield frame is eliminated since the top design drives all of that. Getting those parts and modifying the inner structure of the Cabriolets front and rear bulkheads to accommodate them is the most labor and dollar intensive on these cars and adds back in almost 1/3 of the weight that you remove when you eliminate the Cabriolet's windshield, top and side windows. If you want to maximize the additional performance from the improved engine power and torque and transmission gearing and make the most of the much lower center of gravity then you may want to consider something a bit more radical and go in the direction of the very first factory 911 Speedster study which is in the purest sense, the reason why speedsters exist at all, the goal being the lightest car with the lowest center of gravity that takes maximum advantage of the available power.

^^^ Note that these cars were based on narrow body designs for lower weight and resistance as was Porsches vey first 993 Speedster that they built for Butzi .. IMHO the purest and most beautiful of the litter.

Anyway, I'm a speedsterholic enabler and can't be trusted ... just sayin' ...

Last edited by JPP; 03-23-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

JPP...no apologies needed. I truly appreciate the input...that is the reason I posted this thread...feedback from folks that have gone down this road before is priceless.

Thx...enabling me is a foregone conclusion.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Great to hear .. I think this will be an awesome project if you keep an open mind and let your goals drive the design. Here's some more food for thought .. credit to Z. Mayne for the excellent photography and Jager for bringing it to our attention. Now picture it without all the RSCS/GT2 foiling and a taller frameless custom windshield:

Last edited by JPP; 03-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Marc W.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi AMGfan,

I know about your "pain and satisfaction"! I can't wait to follow this thread and wish you good luck with your project!

It seems to be a good idea to have a 993turbo and a 993 SpeedsterS, welcome to the club...

Quick Reply: AMGfan Speedster Project