Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

door check strap weld cracking

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default door check strap weld cracking

the PO fixed the door check strap by welding underneath only, it starting clicking about a month ago.
as you can see in the picture the weld has started cracking.
i would like to fix it, but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

should i find someone to grind away the existing weld and weld new again?
is it normal to have the weld fail after some time?
would it be better to weld top and bottom?

i have searched but not found a post with this situation.
bonus points to anyone that can refer someone in the miami area that has done this repair before.
thanks,
Neil
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Very common. Do a search on door check strap. You'll find lots of very good threads on this. Something you can do now to reduce further cracking is to remove the assembly from the door and mod the rubber stoppers inside.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I need to get my passenger side welded and will also do a preventative weld on the drivers. im gonna go with a top and bottom zap to add strength. If I ever pull the fender ill weld a plate behind it to add strength.

phil.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Since the force that breaks the weld is lateral, why not weld laterally instead of top and bottom? Can someone shed some light on this?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Since the force that breaks the weld is lateral, why not weld laterally instead of top and bottom? Can someone shed some light on this?
this makes a lot of sense, though the issue may be the lack of metal on the sides.
it would probably require some kind of build up or plate welded to the face and then welded to the door check.
just speculation...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same issue, but in a much worse condition. The weld on mine looks like it was done blindfolded. I'm looking for a good source in the eastern PA area to repair this.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

You see the fork that comes out of the hole where the pin goes through? It's welded exactly in the middle of that oval opening. On a car with a broken weld, the fork is forced/displaced to the left on the driver's door,( or displaced to the right on the passenger door). To my untrained eyes, wouldn't the area be stronger if you spot weld the small openings to the left and right of the fork, to support any lateral movement when opening/closing the door? Personally I've never seen this type of weld done, only top and bottom welds. However eventually the top/bottom spot weld would fail again, unless you do it the correct way from inside the fender.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Here are some good pics.. this makes me want to pull the front fender off and really beef it up (or just weld my doors shut and climb through the window)

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ap-repair.html

:P

phil.
The following users liked this post:
AN89AG (02-22-2021)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by element
Here are some good pics.. this makes me want to pull the front fender off and really beef it up (or just weld my doors shut and climb through the window)

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ap-repair.html

:P

phil.
Yes, a la General Lee!
The following users liked this post:
AN89AG (02-22-2021)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

my drivers door was done two summer's ago, when I had the euro turbo nose, etc...put on the car. Theoretical Porsche speciality shop, highly reccomended, etc, etc, etc. Needless to say, the weld completely failed less than a year later. If I didn't know better, looked like the ****bag painted over JB Weld.

I took it to another shop that was also highly reccomended. He spent alot of time removing the old crap, and really did a stunning job on it.

Expect it to cost a couple hundred to repair anyway.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
gary1101
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my first P car a few months ago and this is the way it came from the PO.
I plan on cutting a patch from a junked car and doing the repair from the front to get rid of this mess.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by gary1101
I bought my first P car a few months ago and this is the way it came from the PO.
I plan on cutting a patch from a junked car and doing the repair from the front to get rid of this mess.
holy mother of god?

was it welding and painting day at the local kindergarten?

I almost demand to know who did that.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
gary1101
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

It did help greatly in the negotiation process.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
bigrig
Instructor

wow, i was upset that my repair had started cracking, but that picture is scary.
some of the stories are why i would like a referral, i don't want to make it worse.
i believe the PO did have have someone fairly competent do the repair, i guess time just took its toll
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish I could get a pic of mine. It's in storage right now. I had Dave Triechel from Zero to Sixty garage correct it. He did such a great job, it looks like it came that way. He welded completely around the hanger. From the top around the back and underneath. At first I was concerned because the hanger appeared to be crooked, but he said purposely did this to make the hanger and area around it stronger. He then finished it (or maybe it's just a good weld job) by making it appear like a "fillet" and he painted it to match. Unbelievable job. I have nothing but praise for all the work he's done on my car.
http://www.zeroto60garage.com/Main2.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door check strap weld cracking