Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 First time on my lift (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 First time on my lift (PICS)

Today I had some alone time to take a look under the 993, the underside was perfect, no rust, no oil leaks. I also removed the cassette storage and upgraded to a storage tray. I also installed my new/old CDR 220. I also installed a new license plate bracket which I purchased here on Rennlist. Here are a few pics of the car on the lift:

Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm jealous. Gotta luv a garage with a lift.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Thanks Mike, It was my life dream so I built a 36 x 48 building for all my toys, and had to have a two post.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
+1
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

That's it, I need to get me a lift!!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks good! I need a lift so badly!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

did you take some panels off from underneath to get a better look? My next house will have something with a lift, I took the front end off my mini, but its a small singe car, enough space to get it up on stands, but its tight!

phil.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice shop space Mike! I like the antique Toyota (FJ?) in one of your pics, note the vintage 4Runner in the background below. How we ever got along without lifts is a mystery...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Opo
+1
Thanks!

Originally Posted by P-daddy
That's it, I need to get me a lift!!
Thanks, If you are a wrench head like me you definitely need one.

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
Very nice
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Looks good! I need a lift so badly!
Thank you. Us gear heads always need a lift. No pun.

Originally Posted by element
did you take some panels off from underneath to get a better look? My next house will have something with a lift, I took the front end off my mini, but its a small singe car, enough space to get it up on stands, but its tight!
phil.
No I didn't but will now that you mentioned it, thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdoolin
Very nice shop space Mike! I like the antique Toyota (FJ?) in one of your pics, note the vintage 4Runner in the background below. How we ever got along without lifts is a mystery...

Thank you! I love your 993, shop and lift! Nice 4Runner and VW bug.
After many years, since age 16, of crawling under my cars using hydraulic jacks and jack stands, etc., now at 60 YO I decided no more crawling. I will continue to work on my cars until the end so having the proper tools available is paramount.

There are so many different types of lifts available these days, scissors lift, mid rise, four post, etc., however, the prices are reasonable enough to own one according to your ceiling height limitations. Oil changes and mechanical work is a breeze with a lift, as you already know.

Thanks again,
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Mike,

Great you finally installed a lift! Floor jacks and jack stands certainly do get old. How do you like the specific lift you have, and if I may ask, what model is it? I'm a few weeks away from pulling permits on building a detached garage and am definitely installing a two post lift. I've been looking at several lifts and Atlas is one of them.

Shawn
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by swmic
Hi Mike,

Great you finally installed a lift! Floor jacks and jack stands certainly do get old. How do you like the specific lift you have, and if I may ask, what model is it? I'm a few weeks away from pulling permits on building a detached garage and am definitely installing a two post lift. I've been looking at several lifts and Atlas is one of them.

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

The Atlas lift works great, the installation was a bit of a challenge, I will attach a few pics, I had couple of friends over and one had an excavator which lifted the two post upright. Once the lift was upright then measuring, leveling and securing it to the concrete was a piece of cake. If just getting ready to build a shop make sure to have the concrete thickened to six inches and add re-bar where you are planning to install the lift. A 4 inch slab will work, however, I over designed it to be 100% sure, rule of structural engineering.

I purchased mine from Greg Smith equipment, (http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/) Atlas model number 90HSC 9,000 pound asymmetrical lift, and reasonably priced.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help while the whole process is still fresh in my mind. I assembled the lift using an engine hoist to to move the columns in place and bolt together. PM me and I can give you my number.

Here are the installation pics:

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

After many years, since age 16, of crawling under my cars using hydraulic jacks and jack stands, etc., now at 60 YO I decided no more crawling. I will continue to work on my cars until the end so having the proper tools available is paramount.

There are so many different types of lifts available these days, scissors lift, mid rise, four post, etc., however, the prices are reasonable enough to own one according to your ceiling height limitations.
Mike - all I can say is "hell yeah". My Barn/lift/shop space is the best money I ever spent. I turn 50 this year, so we are in similar territory. I have been turning wrenches on my cars and motorcycles since I was 16 - 17 yrs old.

There are a LOT of affordable options these days, I don't wanna HiJack your thread so if anyone wants more info on my set-up (sq ft, height, air delivery, water, heat, etc), PM me and I'll provide details. Maybe we need a thread just for shop pics and details (it probably already exists).

Good for you Mike!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
Hi Shawn,

The Atlas lift works great, the installation was a bit of a challenge, I will attach a few pics, I had couple of friends over and one had an excavator which lifted the two post upright. Once the lift was upright then measuring, leveling and securing it to the concrete was a piece of cake. If just getting ready to build a shop make sure to have the concrete thickened to six inches and add re-bar where you are planning to install the lift. A 4 inch slab will work, however, I over designed it to be 100% sure, rule of structural engineering.

I purchased mine from Greg Smith equipment, (http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/) Atlas model number 90HSC 9,000 pound asymmetrical lift, and reasonably priced.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help while the whole process is still fresh in my mind. I assembled the lift using an engine hoist to to move the columns in place and bolt together. PM me and I can give you my number.
I also have a 9000lb greg smith supplied lift - shorter version of yours since at the time my ceilings were 10'9" (they are now 14'+). Anyways, after about 5 year of use, one cylinder started to leak past its seals so much that, when the lift was a the top, oil would squirt out of the little breather hole and across the room. The other cylinder also started to do the same, so I contacted Greg's for a seal kit. I could not believe my answer "Oh, we do not stock seals or have any idea of the size of the seals. I will contact the factory in China" and then a week later "We can get the seals to you, $100 + shipping, they have to come from China". I asked them if they could just ship here directly - NO.

So I am going to throw these cylinders away and look for a better quality set - there are some restrictions about sizing and piping, so the search might take a bit.

Other than that, the carriages/arms/columns are good and strong, and the motor/pump is good (Motor is US made I think).

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 First time on my lift (PICS)