Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Think I'll try a MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, that vid above pretty much sums it up. They are quick little boxes on wheels just like my old modded VW Rabbit GTI on steroids. The previous owner of mine (and only prior owner) is the membership coordinator and webmaster for a Mini club in Orange County and I got the car with low miles, a transferable warranty thats good for another 16k miles. Every single maintenance record in hand plus some good mods (cold air, dyno-tuned, upgraded SC pulley, strut tower support, torque stabilizer, exhaust resonator delete - so it burbles!)

Just threw on extremely light Enkie wheels, wider tires, a smaller antenna up top, and few JCW front grill parts. Once the suspension is done its good to go. Pretty much has all of the options that were available so not much else to do.

I read a ton of reviews by owners on cars.com about Hondas, Toyotas, etc that I was considering for a new DD and this model Mini got pretty much the same ratings on reliability but much better on handling, looks, etc. Was a no brainer, plus I know a certified BMW/Mini mechanic and shop owner. I'll just keep up on the maintenance and I'm sure this car will treat me well, but it definitely doesn't get the MPH of our Prius. Not really complaining because prior to the Mini, my DD was an older model Toyota 4runner with a 6 in it that guzzled fuel like a Lamborghini!

I definitely would recommend one of these Minis to anyone who doesn't need a really large car and wants something fun without the price tag of an Audi A4 or a BMW 3 series which were both candidates in my search. Hondas and Toyotas just didn't offer the same fun factor. I guess German cars is where its at...

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
300HP? Wow, that is a lot from the 4 banger - what are you doing to the engine?

With that kind of power, what is the torque steer like? How well is the tranny/drivetrain taking it?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike it's just a bunch of bolt on's with a tune. Turbo cars are easy to massive HP from. Full intake all piping, intercooler, full turbo back exhaust with a few other little things, then the tune.

The tune limits torque in 1st and 2nd, so it's very easy to drive and very little torque steer, we also have a LSD that helps. We are still on the factory clutch and have had 0 drivetrain issues. Of course I don't use the HP that much, it's mostly just driving to work and get into the boost for passing.

Originally Posted by tlebovic
The people that seem happiest with their Mini are the people that buy them new. The problem with used ones is that they have the "Oil Monitoring System" that tells you when to change the oil. When we put the first 5000 miles on our 2009 MCS I tried to get the dealer to change the oil and they wouldn't - said the car 'doesn't say it's needed and we can't do it. I told them I would pay for it and then they agreed but the vast majority of people won't pay extra.

My Porsche and general Euro car mechanic says he's now seeing cars with 50-60k miles on them that are all gunked up inside and seeing how this is a really complex BMW motor with VVT and all sorts of oil related systems you have to be wary of a used one.

Other than that it's a great car but I did have to replace the timing chain (under warranty).

Good luck with Purchase

Tom
89 928 S4 Auto
I had to argue to get the oil changed at 1000mi. But they did it, and I paid for it $130, that was the last time the dealer did a paid oil service on it. I change it out every 4-6kmi then had them do the free 15kmi oil changes and reset the counter.

I cleaned out the intake ports at 75kmi and they were NASTY! Almost to the point I could not figure out how the car was running so well. After the cleaning, the car felt like it had 50 more HP and get got another 30-50mi out of a tank of gas. Now I'll do the intake ports every 20-30kmi. It's easy to do, takes about an hour.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,123 Posts

2007 MCS with 43k miles. wives car. Auto. Been generally reliable. Early on the steering angle sensor went bad. Had a sun visor break. Had to replace the chain tensioner as it had the short one (I need to call mini with the new recall and get reimbursed for that, as I paid out of pocket at the time), I'm **** about oil levels so it never got low. My gut tells me the chain assembly will need to be done by 50k. Had misfires at about 25k, had an injector get clogged, covered under warranty. Had water pump go at 35k. Front subframe bushings are now rattling a little over sharp bumps and need to be done. The thermostat housing is leaking a tiny bit, will get that done soon. Changed rear brakes 1x, front brakes 2x. on 2nd set of tires. Had walnut blast done on intake valves at about 30k, along with a reprogram of the car. Felt like a new car. Will get walnut blast done again at 50k. Changed plugs at 40k and the old ones were perfect. Outside of the chain tensioner, the water pump/thermostat, carbon buildup, and the subframe bushings (which are ALL well documented issues with these cars) they car has been OK. I do the oil every 6mo regardless of miles. Most of the maintenance I do myself (outside harder/messier repairs). Wife loves the car and I like driving it. Thinking of getting the 2014 model. I'd prefer a cayman. :-)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts
Default One thing the MINI is good at....

Tonight in traffic, couldn't believe this a**. Couple more coats of paint and I would of been real pissed.....
Attached Images     
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
My buddy who is a tech at MINI, is also a rink rat and loves the space for his bag. He has the first generation all lowered and modded, and it goes like stink. Now his C55 just sits, oh, and I've been able to get both my kids hockey bags in with 3 of us.

check this out, was for sale a few months ago..Selling our super beast MINI Cooper - Supercharged $11k OBO - YouTube
update to this, my buddy sold his C55 and bought a second MINI, one for the track and one for the street..
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
update to this, my buddy sold his C55 and bought a second MINI, one for the track and one for the street..
he picked up another, one like this.....the brakes/rotors on it are huuuge..

Wife mini is in the shop for death rattle/timing chain...
Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 AM
newoldschool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife loves her new mini! It is a real kick to drive and the kids love the convert able top. I would definitely stick with an s version.

Quick Reply: OT: Think I'll try a MINI