Sponsored by:

OT: Think I'll try a MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

I am not sure why the Mini's are getting so bashed on here.
Well maybe someone is looking at statistical based studies...Consumer Reports had them as the worst brand.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-cars/3304413/
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Well maybe someone is looking at statistical based studies...Consumer Reports had them as the worst brand.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-cars/3304413/
Seriously? Consumer reports? Meh. Those guys are the ones who just love Dodge Minivans ... they also say Porsche is middle of the road, but I thought they were top rated on other studies? Consumer Reports always reminded me of what would happen if my Grandfather reviewed cars.

Ok, Ok, the Mini's are POS cars and everyone who has one, regardless if they are happy or not, should sell it and buy a Honda immediately. I know Consumer Reports just loves Honda's. Like my Grandfather.

Just having some fun here!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Hmmm - try googling "Porsche 993 value guide issues" or "Porsche 993 steering rack" or "Porsche 993 shocks worn out prematurely" or ..... well you get my drift. . You can also do that with pretty well any brand and find lots of issues.

The real statistics are hard to tell - on any automobile brand forum, there is always a disproportionate amount of defects discussed (or perceived defects) for any car, and it always seems overblown. For every person on a Mini Forum, there are likely 100 not bothering to be on the forum who are doing just fine. I am sure the statistics are out there as well, but even then, it may come down to a choice of accepting there will be issues in trade for something unique or more fun to drive (unlike a Honda). We certainly accept that for the 993's, so I am not sure why the Mini's are getting so bashed on here.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike...lol..they got major issues..but the fun factor outweighs them......my good buddy is a master tech at MINI so I know all the issues......regardless wife y loves her toy and that's all that matters..happy wife..etc...bottom like if u not car savvy, a MINI is not the car for you...... I may eventually get one for myself but it will definitely not be a turbo charged one, more like an 05 or so....and it's a serious head turner...
Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

We have had our 08 MCS since ordering it in 08. The car now has 97kmi on it.

In that time I have....
1. New timing chain (death rattle) at 54kmi, BMW paid for it out of warranty
2. New High Pressure fuel Pump at 65kmi, also BMW paid for
3. New HPFP at 90kmi, again BMW paid for it.
4. 2 sets of tires! The 911 takes one set a year and cost more then 2 sets for the MINI.

While under warranty the alarm was crazy it would go off a the slightest rattle, like a plane fling over. It was in 3 times for that, finally they found out the interior sonic sensor was not bolted all the way in.

Now it's modified to just about 300hp and this happened...
It's getting a rebuild.

It's been a good car, and not really cost much other then standard maintenance. I will say you GOT to check the oil regularly. Also I do more then normal oil/fluid changes. We still get 450mi out of a tank of gas and the car is faster then the 993 and handles better as well.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

300HP? Wow, that is a lot from the 4 banger - what are you doing to the engine?

With that kind of power, what is the torque steer like? How well is the tranny/drivetrain taking it?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
tlebovic
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default One reason to not buy a USED Mini

The people that seem happiest with their Mini are the people that buy them new. The problem with used ones is that they have the "Oil Monitoring System" that tells you when to change the oil. When we put the first 5000 miles on our 2009 MCS I tried to get the dealer to change the oil and they wouldn't - said the car 'doesn't say it's needed and we can't do it. I told them I would pay for it and then they agreed but the vast majority of people won't pay extra.

My Porsche and general Euro car mechanic says he's now seeing cars with 50-60k miles on them that are all gunked up inside and seeing how this is a really complex BMW motor with VVT and all sorts of oil related systems you have to be wary of a used one.

Other than that it's a great car but I did have to replace the timing chain (under warranty).

Good luck with Purchase

Tom
89 928 S4 Auto
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife loves her 2011 Mini - it's a great driving little car. So far, we've only had a couple of minor issues, all covered under warranty. If there's one negative I would point to, it would be that it goes through tires pretty quickly.....but I have a feeling that this is a "user issue".
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

my wife has a 12 Countryman All4S. It moves right along, with Nokian winter tires, it REALLY hooks up in winter.

Too quirky for me, but very good mileage. Changed oil at 1300-1st time to dealer for thermostat issue. Had to argue for the "courtesy" oil change, but they did it. Change at 5K intervals here at home, since nearest dealer is almost 2 hours away. Been flatbedded back to the dealer three times, all within the first 6 months of ownership.

The specified once annual, or 15K mile oil change interval is absoultely nuts. M1 comes out at 5K miles looking like hell in that motor...all puny little 4.4 qts of it.

Reminds me completely of the oil coking issues that Audi had with the old 1.8T motors. Our's didn't have any issue, because we did our own oil changes between the one's Audi included as part of their scheduled maintenance plan. All these major manufacturers are doing, is creating future disposable used vehicles with such long oil change intervals.

If only my wife would let me lower it, and mod it some...I might like it more.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" Been flatbedded back to the dealer three times, all within the first 6 months of ownership".

I've read that the '05-'06 are the better cars, had good luck with our 50k mile '06.
What failed on your '12?

Gordo
Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993/907
" Been flatbedded back to the dealer three times, all within the first 6 months of ownership".

I've read that the '05-'06 are the better cars, had good luck with our 50k mile '06.
What failed on your '12?

Gordo
thermostat twice, failed CV boot once. Boot split right at the seam...Also was driven back for a windshield replacement, stress crack originating from the driver side lower left. Easier for us to have it flatbedded, then returned a day or two later, than drive 2 hours, get loaner car, then return again.

Been flawless for the last almost year, don'k know if the wife would get another. The pool of available manual tranny AWD "affordable" vehicles is dwindling badly, so not alot of other choices out there.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
The pool of available manual tranny AWD "affordable" vehicles is dwindling badly, so not alot of other choices out there.
My wife's car is a 2010 Subaru Forester - it's been absolutely flawless for the last three years, just oil changes, one brake pad change, scheduled plugs/filters, but no defects and no issues period. None. In her case it's an automatic, she drove standard for 20 years, and with the heavy traffic wanted to try it. Definitely would buy another one based on our experience so far.

Oh, and almost unstoppable in the snow. Subaru has nailed their AWD system.

As for Mini's, only interested in the original design Mini - those weird designs they have, with sloping roofs, or expanded bodies to accomodate AWD systems, just look weird to me. ..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

My wife's car is a 2010 Subaru Forester - it's been absolutely flawless for the last three years, just oil changes, one brake pad change, scheduled plugs/filters, but no defects and no issues period. None. In her case it's an automatic, she drove standard for 20 years, and with the heavy traffic wanted to try it. Definitely would buy another one based on our experience so far.

Oh, and almost unstoppable in the snow. Subaru has nailed their AWD system.

As for Mini's, only interested in the original design Mini - those weird designs they have, with sloping roofs, or expanded bodies to accomodate AWD systems, just look weird to me. ..

Cheers,

Mike
the wife likes the new forrester, as well as the crosstek, all still available with stick -cept the turbo I believe. If they only made STI stuff across the line...

Had a guy at a mid week cycle training ride a couple years ago, pull up in a maybe 08+ Forrester...FULL STI guise. Front spolier, ground effects, graphics, brakes, wheels, etc...got it all from the Japanese market IIRC. Thru on-going discussions with him, full engine/diff mods also. Was waaaay sweet, cost to duplicate just to outrageous to consider.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Had a guy at a mid week cycle training ride a couple years ago, pull up in a maybe 08+ Forrester...FULL STI guise. Front spolier, ground effects, graphics, brakes, wheels, etc...got it all from the Japanese market IIRC. Thru on-going discussions with him, full engine/diff mods also. Was waaaay sweet, cost to duplicate just to outrageous to consider.
To continue the theme of "cars with chronic problems", the latest STI's were having problems with brittle pistons as shipped from the factory -> a misfire could crack the piston ring land, which is a major issue that would not show up for quite a while - but then it was a critical problem. You could fix it by swapping out the pistons with stronger forged units as a preventive measure - but that meant a total teardown. Is that still prevalent in the STI's? Other than that, really fast and capable car.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just like with my 911 purchase that yielded a 993 instead of a 996 (they were new at the time) I chose an '06 mini with the SC motor rather than the newer one with the turbo. Have been told its the more reliable car. And similarly just as the 993 happened to be the better looking 911 so too is the '06 mini versus its newer brothers (IMO). Have to say too after its first maiden voyage in the twisties with me behind the wheel, it was a blast on the Mulhulland Snake yesterday. Can't wait to see what its like once its dropped a bit with new coil overs and a beefier rear sway. Its a blast and my hockey bag is much easier to get in the back. Cheers!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Just like with my 911 purchase that yielded a 993 instead of a 996 (they were new at the time) I chose an '06 mini with the SC motor rather than the newer one with the turbo. Have been told its the more reliable car. And similarly just as the 993 happened to be the better looking 911 so too is the '06 mini versus its newer brothers (IMO). Have to say too after its first maiden voyage in the twisties with me behind the wheel, it was a blast on the Mulhulland Snake yesterday. Can't wait to see what its like once its dropped a bit with new coil overs and a beefier rear sway. Its a blast and my hockey bag is much easier to get in the back. Cheers!
My buddy who is a tech at MINI, is also a rink rat and loves the space for his bag. He has the first generation all lowered and modded, and it goes like stink. Now his C55 just sits, oh, and I've been able to get both my kids hockey bags in with 3 of us.

check this out, was for sale a few months ago..

Quick Reply: OT: Think I'll try a MINI