Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 3D Printer ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your reluctance to pull the snow flake out, looking at it i don't even know how it is fixed in!

These pix show how the material is braking down.....................!
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
The two parts I had trouble with when trying to work on the snowflake button was:

2) at least for my printer, I can only print one color at a time and interrupting the print to change filament color is usually destructive to the build. So they would have to made in two pieces and glued together which wont look right.

So if I could get a part to model, then I think I would print them in straight black and try to find a snowflake decal to apply after the printing process. Im just worried about damaging my button trying to take it off, and I'm not sure if I will end up trying at all.
if you could make a model of the button (which does not look that hard) you could print it from bottom to top and then have a raised snowflake area that you could pause the print job and then change the filament to a white color for just the raised area.

the other issue you have is that 3D prints are not going to be smooth like the button. you would need to print it in ABS and vapor polish it smooth to make it fit in.

or once you have the button drawn you could send it off to shapeways to have it professionally printed much smoother.
http://www.shapeways.com/featured?li=nav
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Making the model would not be difficult, but one would need an example, a set of calipers and an hour's time. The goal is to print the button and sell it for cheap. I would print it in one color PLA, and adhere the snowflake decal using probably superglue and some nail polish veneer covering. Stopping the head to change filaments on a home style printer is not the easiest, especially when making more than a one-off. But to make the ideal print I agree with you.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:23 PM
jerbroo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Rygg
What do the bits look like?
I'll take some photos of my parts and post them.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

I would etch the snow flake and fill in with paint since it is comprised of straight lines it should be relatively easy to make with your 3D printer.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

If the snow flake is a problem it can be left off.

A working one button that works is what is needed -at a reasonable price [like $29.00].
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

X50type, im going to work on modelling one up tonight. Would you mind if I PM you later about a couple of the measurements or get a couple specific shots?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by x50type
If the snow flake is a problem it can be left off.

A working one button that works is what is needed -at a reasonable price [like $29.00].

The snowflake should not be a problem . it is easy to change out the filament to change the color for a different one
here is an example

or design the imprint in the button and paint the imprint.

I think the bigger issue is the look and feel. if you just need to replace the button with something functional then a home 3D print will work.
but if you want something smooth then you need to send it off to have it printed. something that small should not cost more then $30
don't get me wrong I love my 3D printer, but I do know how picky we can be about our cars
our printers will be great to make the prototype and then send it off for the final version.
you can see the quality is much better

http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Last edited by John Rygg; 03-18-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How did I miss this thread until now????

I came close to buying a 3D printer last fall to make fins for the rear diffuser on my Maserati. A small enough piece, a triangle only 8" along the hypotenuse. And, the whole 3d printer concept is quite intriguing to me.

John, when you are ready to sell the iPhone holder, let me know. The cup holder is of less interest. While I hate the cup holders in my 993, after spilling a coffee WITH lid, they will remain closed & empty, and I'm not about to replace them with anything despite my wife's protestations. She can keep her numerous water bottle in her purse when we are out in the Targa.

The from bumperette piece is interesting. But, I just removed the black rubber "thing" and I assume that the bracket on the ones shown mount behind the fog light. Correct? How flush are the "plugs"? Are they ready for sale? I would design fillers that closely follow the contours of the lights. Is this like that, or does it protrude?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

if you want a raised snowflake, then sure it wouldnt be too hard to change filament and keep going (like John's example where the different color lettering is all higher than the tallest plane of the black color). But to have it inlayed it would be much more difficult. Also its such a small feature youd only get one or two shells with no infill, and the whole thing would flake/break off in 10 minutes.

Someone that has access to a button needs to model it in CAD. I'm trying to make a model that can easily be changed with the correct dimensions but its kind of futile right now.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, heres what I want and please PM me if you want to pull the trigger: A pint cooler. I love pints of ice cream and eat straight from the carton because I'm such a fatty fat fat fat and after about about 5 minutes the ice cream farthest from the center gets mushy and I don't like that. I looked it up online and was hoping to find some EPS cooler that you could just set the pint into but none exist. I know I'm not the only one who deals with this problem but I want to see a solution, gosh darn it. People don't need to suffer like this anymore.
All joking aside, if you could make the mold of the outside of an ice cream pint with a lip at the top facing out 1/4 inch and make another of the same mold only offset about 1/2 inch and a 1/4 inch lip inward you could glue them together and have a 1/2 inch of insulation between my pint and the outside world trying to warm it up.
I'm completely serious, how much do you want to ship to FL?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Hi all I have been busy with projects at work. But have been working on the cell phone holders here and there.
I have gotten good feedback from my testers and some fun ideas from my Rennlist friends. I have already sold a couple of the ashtray holders.
I have also figured out the cigarette lighter version for the iPhone 4 & 5 and am ready to start selling them or the ashtray mounts if anyone would like one I am charging $50 +shipping for them.

I will have to work on my marketing and post something better on Rennlist. but right now word of mouth is working well also.

I am also working on a universal magnet mount that works with a metal plate that attaches to your phone case. This design allows me to not have to worry about the 1000's of different sized phones and cases.
I should be able to print one out and post pictures out this week

Thanks for everyone's Help
John
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 PM
esses
Racer

Just received my ashtray iphone mount from John. I must say John is a class act. Good communication. He produced and shipped my order prior to receiving payment. Installation is a breeze. It came in handy this weekend on my drive to Hershey. The angle of the phone is perfect. Beats the suction cup RAM mount I was using before. Very stealth. Thanks again John I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by esses
Just received my ashtray iphone mount from John. I must say John is a class act. Good communication. He produced and shipped my order prior to receiving payment. Installation is a breeze. It came in handy this weekend on my drive to Hershey. The angle of the phone is perfect. Beats the suction cup RAM mount I was using before. Very stealth. Thanks again John I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
Scotty, will you be able to post a pic of the iPhone mounted, I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
esses
Racer

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
Scotty, will you be able to post a pic of the iPhone mounted, I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks!
sure i'll take and post photo tomorrow night

Quick Reply: Need 3D Printer ideas