Need 3D Printer ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by John Rygg
I don't quite understand the question?
which plane of the model you created will be touching the printer build surface? From your screencaps, none of them seem suitable to me as either the embossed symbol will create a large overhang for the rest of the print, or the other faces of the button will cause the back tabs to be overhung.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:33 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
which plane of the model you created will be touching the printer build surface? From your screencaps, none of them seem suitable to me as either the embossed symbol will create a large overhang for the rest of the print, or the other faces of the button will cause the back tabs to be overhung.
Oh thank you for clarifying. The bottom of the button (the part with the tabs) will be touching the printer build surface. it is held up with support material that breaks off.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by x50type
Forget the $150 - sell them on Ebay, much bigger and more diverse market for what ever you care to produce.

PS. I'm still waiting for the AC button. We can live without a cellphone bracket and a drinks can holder but without a working AC button there will be no cooling - and its starting to get hot down here.
Thanks I might give that a go. it is such a specific item that places like rennlist work well.

the AC button is still coming. I am waiting for the broken tabs to show up so I can figure out what size they are.

I did do a test print of the button and the tabs are very fragile . I need to design some more support for them so they do not break off again.

Either way I think once I get the design done I will post it at shapeways so you guys can have them professionally printed at a higher quality . For such a small item it should only be $5-$10 and I will not put any markup on the site . This way if they turn out decent everyone can order as many as they need.

John
Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Phone holders aren't just for cars
Had a couple of prototype prints laying around , so I put them to use as a charging station.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:11 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks I might give that a go. it is such a specific item that places like rennlist work well.

the AC button is still coming. I am waiting for the broken tabs to show up so I can figure out what size they are.

I did do a test print of the button and the tabs are very fragile . I need to design some more support for them so they do not break off again.

Either way I think once I get the design done I will post it at shapeways so you guys can have them professionally printed at a higher quality . For such a small item it should only be $5-$10 and I will not put any markup on the site . This way if they turn out decent everyone can order as many as they need.

John
john, i've been out of commission due to shoulder surgery. should have the tabs to you shortly.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

john you have a PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:42 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

ok the tab for the AC button is crazy small. No wonder it breaks off

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there a way to print a relief in the button and find a metal tab that's the correct size/shape from an electronics supplier?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 AM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey guys i have a stratysis printer in my office that we paid $25k for. i have access to it so let me know if you guys have stuff might be able to prototype it. the difference with the 3d printer that you can just buy vs a fdm machine is heat regluation and so you get much more clean and precise parts.

Let me know if yous have some stuff i can see about printing it
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quacktoduck.

Been waiting for the AC button on the CCU for ages. I am not bothered about the snow flake icon on it.
Maybe you can chat with John Rygg concerning the difficulties.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:46 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

quacktoduck, check this thread too if you didn't already see it. Not sure if the consensus these should be printed or injection molded, but there is a niche business out there to be had for someone with the skills and access to this stuff. Imagine the mods it could fund

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rly-flush.html
Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Hello all , I have just sent my design of the snowflake button to Shapeways to see how they print out on a professional printer. I am having it printed in plastic and in black metal. I have been curious to see what their prints look like. once I get it I will send it on to FLYto993 to test out and then I can make changes from there. It is a bit difficult to design without the original button as a whole or the CCU unit.

QuacktoDuck. PM me with your email address and I will send you the STL file for the button.
I am sure your $25K printer will do a slightly better job then my $600 one. It makes amazing stuff but $25K is $25K
Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

john, you have a PM.

Hello all , I have just sent my design of the snowflake button to Shapeways to see how they print out on a professional printer. I am having it printed in plastic and in black metal. I have been curious to see what their prints look like. once I get it I will send it on to FLYto993 to test out and then I can make changes from there. It is a bit difficult to design without the original button as a whole or the CCU unit.

QuacktoDuck. PM me with your email address and I will send you the STL file for the button.
I am sure your $25K printer will do a slightly better job then my $600 one. It makes amazing stuff but $25K is $25K
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 AM
dboeren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for those who have ordered the phone holders, which location do you prefer? I often use my iPhone 5 for navigation and I'm wondering whether the ashtray or door jamb version would work best.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

john, you have a pm.

Quick Reply: Need 3D Printer ideas