Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I guess we're all supposed to be impressed at your youth? Or your wisdom?
No, it's just that I don't "connect" with that demographic since I have very little in common and don't have the ample free time to spend getting to know them. Scheduling happy hours, dinners, ice cream socials, etc. at 6:30 in the suburbs tends to preclude people who have time-intensive jobs.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we can all agree this is not about AARP activities vs Loving Porsche cars and community. Pano has always been a comprensive club magazine...but it has been about the "club" and not so much cars. I am 52 and like to get together with car guys in car settings (tracks, shows, drives, PORSCHE PARADES), but not so much in groups, dinner drives etc.

I think Pano has generally supported these group and club activities but not so much hard core Porsche enthusiasm...builds, upgrades, and the personal experience so many enjoy. I for one am interested in these things and hope Pano expands this part of the Mag. No knock to devout PCA clubbers who enjoy the group thing.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

While you are at it, could you freshen up the PCA logo as well? The current one is lame. It seems like a good time to do it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by ABCar
I think we can all agree this is not about AARP activities vs Loving Porsche cars and community. Pano has always been a comprensive club magazine...but it has been about the "club" and not so much cars. I am 52 and like to get together with car guys in car settings (tracks, shows, drives, PORSCHE PARADES), but not so much in groups, dinner drives etc.

I think Pano has generally supported these group and club activities but not so much hard core Porsche enthusiasm...builds, upgrades, and the personal experience so many enjoy. I for one am interested in these things and hope Pano expands this part of the Mag. No knock to devout PCA clubbers who enjoy the group thing.
You are, of course, right. I'm not antisocial by any means, and it's always nice to encounter another Porsche enthusiast, all of whom are almost invariably of a different generation than me, at a gas station, parking lot, etc., but I would feel a bit strange going to an ice cream social or the like with a bunch of people that I don't know who are my parents' age.

There was a small group of 356s and early 911s parked at the valet stand outside the mall adjacent to my office building a few months ago; this was a Saturday or Sunday in November (IIRC), and this group of 7 or 8 guys were about to eat lunch in the same restaurant where I was picking up lunch to go. I parked my 993 on the curb and talked to these guys for a minute before picking up my food; one of them invited me to have lunch with them. I declined, explaining that I had to go to work. He laughed and said "Oh, we're all retired!"
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
You are, of course, right. I'm not antisocial by any means, and it's always nice to encounter another Porsche enthusiast, all of whom are almost invariably of a different generation than me, at a gas station, parking lot, etc., but I would feel a bit strange going to an ice cream social or the like with a bunch of people that I don't know who are my parents' age.
There is a lot one can learn from people from another generation. It's a two way street and I love driving up and down that road if you know what I mean.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

One of the sad things about the environmental regulations is that they pretty much preclude one from working on their engine. Don't get me wrong, I am not against protecting the environment, but this has been an unfortunate collateral damage victim of the laws.

In the olden days, "auto shop" was a popular class and people could do a little project like say 3 - 2 barrel carb kit on their Chevy V8 and have a lot of fun with their friends. This is not possible today as auto shop has gone by the wayside and this has led to a generation that is pretty much clueless on how the engine works and generally is more interested in the computer management and "chipping their ride" as though this was the only secret to performance...not knowing how a chip even works or if it really does work to provide any change.

So, the club has gone social.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cupcar
One of the sad things about the environmental regulations is that they pretty much preclude one from working on their engine. Don't get me wrong, I am not against protecting the environment, but this has been an unfortunate collateral damage victim of the laws.

In the olden days, "auto shop" was a popular class and people could do a little project like say 3 - 2 barrel carb kit on their Chevy V8 and have a lot of fun with their friends. This is not possible today as auto shop has gone by the wayside and this has led to a generation that is pretty much clueless on how the engine works and generally is more interested in the computer management and "chipping their ride" as though this was the only secret to performance...not knowing how a chip even works or if it really does work to provide any change.So, the club has gone social.
The bolded portion is true for me and my friends, unfortunately. And it's not like there's time or an opportunity to learn now.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
There is a lot one can learn from people from another generation. It's a two way street and I love driving up and down that road if you know what I mean.

No kidding. Why I always mention the Olden Days. When I showed up on the scene as an 18 y.o. with a '68 coupe to the autocrosses and time trials (sadly, just to watch), there were still 4 cammers out there being run if not the occasional 904 or 906. Today? Ha.

Wish I had the bucks to take/process more photos back then.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

How much work do the newer cars really need? My 914's maintenance schedule involves adjusting/replacing points, adjusting valves, adjusting clutch pedal, etc. Now cars go longer between oil changes, tune up are much further spread apart and the engines seem to go to 100K miles without fanfare. It's fascinating. At the Tech Tactics events, which are all seemingly all about tech and Porsche, the questions people ask revolve around how the latest and greatest features work and what's on the horizon. I saw a circle of Cayman Register guys talking about how to use their Durametrics and what they could do with it on their cars. I don't think the desire to learn about your car has gone to the wayside, it's just changed.

There will come a day when the appearance of an air cooled Porsche will make people pull out their camera phones. Heck, I had a student at a DE ask me I used PSM on my 964 when I was on the track. I smiled and said that PSM for me was my hands and feet working really smoothly. Had to explain that in 1990, the 964 was state of the art with a fairly new feature called ABS
Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
How much work do the newer cars really need? My 914's maintenance schedule involves adjusting/replacing points, adjusting valves, adjusting clutch pedal, etc. Now cars go longer between oil changes, tune up are much further spread apart and the engines seem to go to 100K miles without fanfare. It's fascinating. At the Tech Tactics events, which are all seemingly all about tech and Porsche, the questions people ask revolve around how the latest and greatest features work and what's on the horizon. I saw a circle of Cayman Register guys talking about how to use their Durametrics and what they could do with it on their cars. I don't think the desire to learn about your car has gone to the wayside, it's just changed.

There will come a day when the appearance of an air cooled Porsche will make people pull out their camera phones. Heck, I had a student at a DE ask me I used PSM on my 964 when I was on the track. I smiled and said that PSM for me was my hands and feet working really smoothly. Had to explain that in 1990, the 964 was state of the art with a fairly new feature called ABS
I agree, however I was thinking about more than maintenance - changing internal engine components is what I meant - like making a 2.7 twin plug out with S cams of your old 2 liter. Now that was fun!! Nothing like a new hot rod engine start up if it all works as planned.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ahhhh,..A wise & enlightened individual, indeed.

On the original subject matter, I think Mr. Stout will do a superb job of making Panorama both interesting & educational, once again. His track record in this regard is quite good and I wish him nothing but good luck,...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed all ^^^ I love to socialize with people of all ages and feel comfortable with people my age or older. Seems like they have been around and have something "extra" to offer me besides enthusiasm.

Adding to my last comment...I went to a 50th anniversary gathering of our regional Porsche Club (W. Mich Region) a few years ago...when I got their another 993 member came up and we started talking about my car...his car...other cars...you know. We are still good freinds. Community is great and I always look forward to where people like to congregate over cars.

Like it was mentioned above, too bad there is not as much auto shop impromptu meet-ups...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been reading the January Pano and it's already showing a touch of `Excellence'. How about the snowballing options list on the last 930? Wild. I think Pete is going to do just fine. Can't wait for the larger format!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

I think Mr. Stout will do a superb job of making Panorama both interesting & educational, once again. His track record in this regard is quite good and I wish him nothing but good luck,...
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister

Pete is going to do just fine!
First the Jan issue, with RLer Stout eliciting well-deserved congratulations, + Manny Alban enabling all.
Now the Feb issue: more congrats are in order for yet another RLer in a prominent Pano role

I have him to thank for my Feb advance copy seen below -- he's a class act
For more details & images, check page 4 when yours arrives ...or click the "good thread about advertising experience" now!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Jager - you're too much!! I love your sense of humor! I've known Pete for several years and chatted with him off and on about Porsches, and the print business in general.

But I did not know he was moving to PCA. I learned that from your thread and contacted him immediately.
I'm sure it was meant to be, Ilko:
You 2 great forces in the Porsche + publishing biz woulda found each other without me

that's as close as I may come to greatness ...or Pano

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)