993 Forum 1995-1998

Bought our F1 tix for US Grand Prix last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Bought our F1 tix for US Grand Prix last night

We're in for Austin in November! Grandstand 5, now to work on the hotels-I'm sure that's gonna be ugly.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

i just bought tickets too. turn 11. and every hotel in town is sold out already. I ended up in San Antonio - about an hour away but wanted to secure something! general public tickets go on sale tomorrow. thinking they won't last long.

Last edited by stace; 06-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
general public tickets go on sale tomorrow. thinking they won't last long.
I don't know how to feel about that... I still haven't pulled the trigger on tickets.

I wish I knew where the big screens were going to be setup.

I'm not sure what i'll do about lodging... might have to reach out to people I haven't talked to in a long time.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:37 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

If there was ever a season to watch live this is it!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 AM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i could make it...
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

We are at turn 5 row 22 there are 5 of us coming 3 guys from Fl 2 from Tx can't wait when else will you get to see so many F1 champions.
Rich
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full disclosure: I enjoy F1 and the purity of the racing approach....have for decades.

But tell me, why is this going to be a success when the previous tries including the Indy F1 flopped? Can the U.S. really support F1 to the extent it takes to make it successful here? Why now when not before?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I plan to be there too. I will bring my tent and camp in the hill country or even commute back to Houston ...
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanL993
Full disclosure: I enjoy F1 and the purity of the racing approach....have for decades.

But tell me, why is this going to be a success when the previous tries including the Indy F1 flopped? Can the U.S. really support F1 to the extent it takes to make it successful here? Why now when not before?
I don't think anyone can argue your question-all the more reason to attend this one.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, it looks like we moved up from a La Quinta to a cottage in downtown Austin!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes - the Austin hotels filled up long ago.

I bought 4 Personal Seat Licenses in the Grand Stand. With F1, Australian Supercar V8 and American LeMans a lready licensed, MotoGP next, etc., someone that lives here, I felt compelled. I am not 100% sure it was a smart financial move, but I am willing to take the chance. The PSL contract indicates I can sell anytime, given an agreed upon price with someone else.

Sort of like buying some stock. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully better than Facebook (I didnt partake in that)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

For someone who's been coming to Austin for years for SXSW and other events, I would strongly encourage those thinking of going to find accommodation AND transportation BEFORE buying tickets for the race.

The hotels are sold out but you can try the local Craigslist for rentals, shares, etc. And then there is air travel... My experience with flying to Austin on a busy weekend is that you need to book well in advance and if you miss your flight you'll have to drive. I've had friends miss their connections and were told the next available flight is in 4 days. It's a relatively small city with not a lot of flights in and out of the airport...

I just got back from the Montreal race and had an amazing time. That city is the best! But Austin knows how to party and I'm sure they'll host a great race as well. However I'm not planning on going due to the logistics. Let's see how the first one goes... We're also supposed to have a race right across the river from me next year, now that would be fun!!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

We had a good gathering of 993 Board regulars for the first or second year of the USGP/Indy. Probably 15 or so. We all met up on Saturday for the SuperCup race in Grandstand H.

We called ourselves The Ray Calvo Fan Club. (Ray was still alive then, but already a Renn-Legend.) Lies were told. Alcohol was consumed. Laughter was heard.

Hopefully something like this happens again at COTA.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A few things...

1) if you cant fly into Austin, consider flying into San Antonio or Houston. That is a 1 hour or 2 hour drive, respectively. DFW/Dallas would be a 3 hour drive. I very regularly drive instead of fly to those cities from Austin, just not worth the airport and flying hassle. My point is, no big deal to fly into one of those and drive here if you cant get a ticket directly into Austin.
2) if you cant get a hotel in Austin, think about perhaps San Marcus, San Antonio, New Braunsfels, other closeby locations. I do believe most of the hotels in Austin are already booked. IIRC, they are expecting approximately 150,000 fans to travel here for this.
3) I am certainly willing to help host some kind of gathering for Rennlisters, either at my house or maybe somewhere that accomodates a larger crowd, depending on how many come. Let's keep the dialogue going.

Unfortunately, Austin is a small city that is unwilling to grow bigger. I love it here, but the "Keep Austin Weird" crowd tend to be against development, highways, more hotels, etc. All that means is that everything is more crowded, because people still come. Austin has become quite popular on the #1 place to live for this and that, and as a result, lots of people moving and visitng here. University of Texas has approx 55,000 students (no commuters, all here downtown), so that keeps a young vibe, then you have State Capitol/Government, high tech/bio tech, venture capital, various film/music festivals, lots of marathons/races, etc. now F1. Keeps things very crowded.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

American has a number of flights into Austin, as does Southwest. The issue with ANY flight these days is if you miss a connection, it's tougher to rebook due to flight loads. That's where Platinum has its privileges. American pilots are calling in sick already for July, I'm sure as a union protest, so they've reduced flights that month by a couple of percent.

I had no problem finding flights into Austin when I was shopping Friday night, but they are getting pricey. We're flying to Dallas instead, which was about $700 cheaper for the two tix for my wife and I. We're going with friends from Dallas anyway, so we get a 3 hour road trip out of it. But, as tix sell out, flights will be a moving target. But, with options into San Antonio, and Houston as well-driving from one of those airports is not out of the question.

The lodging is the big issue.

Originally Posted by ilko
For someone who's been coming to Austin for years for SXSW and other events, I would strongly encourage those thinking of going to find accommodation AND transportation BEFORE buying tickets for the race.

The hotels are sold out but you can try the local Craigslist for rentals, shares, etc. And then there is air travel... My experience with flying to Austin on a busy weekend is that you need to book well in advance and if you miss your flight you'll have to drive. I've had friends miss their connections and were told the next available flight is in 4 days. It's a relatively small city with not a lot of flights in and out of the airport...

I just got back from the Montreal race and had an amazing time. That city is the best! But Austin knows how to party and I'm sure they'll host a great race as well. However I'm not planning on going due to the logistics. Let's see how the first one goes... We're also supposed to have a race right across the river from me next year, now that would be fun!!

Quick Reply: Bought our F1 tix for US Grand Prix last night