Leaking...water in passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking...water in passenger footwell

Hi Guys

I bought a 993 3 weeks ago. It has been sunny here in the UK up until the last 3-4 days where we've had consistent rain (pretty standard).

Since we've had the rain I've noticed water collecting in the bottom corner of the passenger side windscreen and the passenger side footwell under the carpets (again no rust). Looking at the history the screens were taken out 2 years ago with a full rust treatment and respray, so assuming the work was to a high standard I don't think it should be rust causing the issue.

Having completed a few searches on here and 911uk it seems you guys have commented on it more frequently. I went to to the sunroof water test this morning and the driver side drain works perfectly, however, the passenger side drain has a piece of cork bunged into it?? It suggests that this was a known issue by the seller and they put some cork in it to stop water running down the a-pillar? Seems the cork probably was put in there to create a temporary fix. I'm worried about pulling it out for making the situation worse.

Where should I start?

Ta
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Could still be screen not sealed 100%, mine is the same as is being looked at this week. Basically there is a gap between the screen and the metal, water gets past and drips down inside. Is the soundproofing wet under the dash area? The sunroof drains wont get water high up in the footwell front area. Does your screen squeak and creak?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, there is a rubber seal that holds a good majority of the wiring harness coming in from the fuse panel. If you've had any kind of stereo install in the past there is a good chance they may have cut or damaged this. You can see it by looking up under the dash on the passenger side against the bulkhead.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by thealphabeta
Where should I start?
With a friendly knock at the seller's front door...

Andreas
Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Did some investigation today. Rear passenger footwell is soaked.

The drain holes are all free of dirt and water flows free. Turns out water is getting in under the windscreen seal. We poured water down the seal from the top. From inside the car it comes over the top of the seal in the corner. I'm guessing from there it's finding it's way into foot wells? Sound plausible
Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, screen out and replace & reseal
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

My understanding is its a real challenge to pull the windscreen and put it back - its easy to scratch the black border and the plastic holdown edge often does not survive. The shops that I know just replace the entire windshield - I think the rear window is doable though.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Why not just seal from the inside where the water comes in? The rest of the screen appears to have sealant in it apart from this section?

Was thinking get some windscreen sealant and seal inside where the water comes over the seal - that's where I can see a gap from the current sealant.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Beretta
Instructor

I have the same issue, wet under drivers carpet, soaking wet sometimes.

Dried it put it back, but after a heavy rain, it will get wet again.

Went to a car window repair shop, and he said it´s very tough finding the leak, so he should replace the whole windscrean...and that was no´t the cheapest thing to do...he rekommended the insurens company
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts

The wind screen leak fix is easy. No need to remove the glass. Get a tube of 100% silicone caulk. Cut the tip to a small opening and use the tip to pry up the edge of the seal to lay a bead of calk between the rubber seal and the body and then between the rubber seal and the glass. Should last for years!
I did this on my 930 worked like a charm.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

There are better alternatives to silicone IMHO, namely one of the non drying 3M products designed specifically for the purpose.

By the way, the sponge in the passenger footwells will hold loads of water and will never dry out by themselves becuse of the rubber membrane on top, so you will have to get the foam out to dry it properly. There are channels running along the length of the floor that will let water travel the full length of the cockpit and into the front luggage compartment.

Best of luck sorting it out.

Berni
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default same problem

I discovered that the wheel well liner was not flush with the fenders on one wheel and water was spinning up as the wheels turned in the rain and caused the same wetness in the cabin. Have a feel and see if there is a gap that you can close up by adjusting the well liner.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
I discovered that the wheel well liner was not flush with the fenders on one wheel and water was spinning up as the wheels turned in the rain and caused the same wetness in the cabin. Have a feel and see if there is a gap that you can close up by adjusting the well liner.
I did not know that there was an opening in the wheel well that allowed water in the cabin - can you be more specific on the location?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Yeah likewise I'm not sure either.

I got hold of some sealant today and sealed the screen inside where I can see water coming in. Hopefully that'll sort it. Now to dry all
The sound deadening/carpets. How would you suggest drying the fan in the passenger footwell? It's glued in pretty well round the edges.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It was the passenger rear - the liner was removed to change the oil and not put back in properly. There was a small gap between the plastic we'll liner and the inside of the fender. I drove in heavy rain on the highway for about an hour and there was enough water in the rear that the floor may was soaked and the bottom of a paper bag I had back there disintegrated. There was a lot of moisture!

With my fingers I could feel the gap on the one side and it was flush on the other.

I'm not as familiar with the insides of the car as you guys so I am only reporting the only known cause and effect. With that fixed I had no more water...

Quick Reply: Leaking...water in passenger footwell