Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ps I meant 'foam' not fan.

Thanks mate I'll check that out as well
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 AM
tctung
Instructor

Many 993's in Taiwan have had exactly the same problem as yours--water in the passenger side footwell. Since Taiwan is as rainy as the UK, the spot where the fender and the body meet is seldom dry. (The spot is hidden beneath the rubber decor strip.) Year after year, the spot rusted and water could leak inside the car. (I checked our local 993 fellows. Most had this problem including myself and we had to visit a body shop to get it fixed. Cost NT$12,000 which is about US$400.)

For us, this is a must-fix as our car computer is right there beneath the passenger seat. I do not know if your car computer is also at the right side like ours because your wheel side is opposite to ours.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Thanks mate, I'll certainly check that area as well
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
It was the passenger rear - the liner was removed to change the oil and not put back in properly. There was a small gap between the plastic we'll liner and the inside of the fender. I drove in heavy rain on the highway for about an hour and there was enough water in the rear that the floor may was soaked and the bottom of a paper bag I had back there disintegrated. There was a lot of moisture!

With my fingers I could feel the gap on the one side and it was flush on the other.

I'm not as familiar with the insides of the car as you guys so I am only reporting the only known cause and effect. With that fixed I had no more water...
Do you have a picture of the area where you felt the gap? I have seen a few other references to water coming in through the rear arches somewhere but no detail on exactly where. I have had some issues with water collecting on my rear driver's side floorpan as well and have already checked off the usual suspects so I suspect it might be something like your situation. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks.

GC
Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Water can get into the rear via the seam that runs above the brake components as you look at the rear wheel arch. Just run some DumDum or similar over the seam if yours has a gap.

As far as drying the foam out without removing it from the car it is going to be tough IMHO. I think you are going to have to take it out by cutting the rubber membrane, and then refit with some duck/duct tape where you have made the cut.

Berni

Last edited by berni29; 06-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Beretta
Instructor

Anyone else, than me, that have the water problem under the drivers matt?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi

Water can get into the rear via the seam that runs above the brake components as you look at the rear wheel arch. Just run some DumDum or similar over the seam if yours has a gap.

Berni
Do you have any pictures of this area? I am a little unsure exatcly where you mean..
thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta
Anyone else, than me, that have the water problem under the drivers matt?
Yes, Im getting the screen replaced by someone who knows how to do it

Im 99% sure its coming in from the bottom of the screen area, soundproofing wet under dash and under carpet as well as water in trunk area
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

I'm confused by the area that's being discussed with regards to the rear arch as well?

If I'm looking at the rear passenger wheel where should I be feeling for this gap? There is a plastic panel that sits to the left of the wheel in the arch that does flap about if I press it etc...is this what you mean?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

I have a 95 cab with the same problem. It was driving me crazy--looking forward to solving this problem. I was convinced despite no evidence that the top was leaking.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

If the water is in the rear footwell and your sure its not coming from the front its probably the rear screen leaking. (or even the rear 1/4 glass seal). Pull the rear shelf and see if its wet under there or under the inside wheel arch trim carpet/vynal section. Sunroof drains are all ok I take it?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 AM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Yep pretty sure it's from the back. My car is parked slightly downhill so if it was the front it wouldn't be able to run back. I'll check those areas cheers Pervy.

Yeah all sun roof drains free flow
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Beretta
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Yes, Im getting the screen replaced by someone who knows how to do it

Im 99% sure its coming in from the bottom of the screen area, soundproofing wet under dash and under carpet as well as water in trunk area
Alright, same as my problem. Can you let us know if the problems dissapear when you have change the screen?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Yep - its getting done in the next week or so, I'll report back
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by thealphabeta
Yep - its getting done in the next week or so, I'll report back
How did it go?

I'm quite a 993-rookie myself (bhought the car a couple of weeks ago) and have recently discovered that the soundproofing under the carpets in the drivers footwell was really soaked(!). The car has been parked outside since the purchase and has been exposed to some heavy rain showers during the last 5-6 days.

I'm planning to let the dealer workshop have a look at it. After all; this is a 420.000NKR (about 70.000USD) car up here, so I was quite worried when discovering this. I've been told that both rear and front windscreens have been replaced at some point and that there have been some minor rust-fixes below the front windscreen (typical issue?).

My car is a '94 C2 with 84000 miles on the clock.

Regards,
Oystein

Quick Reply: Leaking...water in passenger footwell