An unfortunate incident

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default An unfortunate incident

All,

Had an unfortunate incident that involved a Toyota pick-up and the back of my C2. Basically, brakes failed on the other car while at the shop and the bumper hit my rear quarter panel and pushed the Turbo tail on my car into the cross member below the rear window, pictures are below.

The car is being repaired by Dick's Autobody in Somerville, MA who is known for a great reputation. Unfortunately, in talking with them, it appears that due to the location of the dent in the quarter panel the entire quarter panel may need replacement. I know how much of a procedure this is and I want it done right but I am so hesitant to replace this panel considering the stigma it would bring to the car for really minor damage. I don't mind the damage in the end as the car had a dent fixed on this panel prior but welding I feel is different.

Want to grab everyone's opinions on this and see what you would do in a similar situation. Keep in mind the car has no accident history but has had paint work done for road rash, minor dents and scrapes.

Regards,

Kevin

Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Not nice. This appears to be very difficult to fix without replacing the panel.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Agreed, although I am not an expert. It seems like I am in good hands with Dick's and I trust their judgment on whether they can fix or replace. I guess the question is for you guys out there, if you were buying my car, what would you rather see?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take as many pics as you can so you can document the extent of the damage...if you wind up replacing the panel and later want to sell the car, the pics will help to put buyers at ease.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

David - I definitely plan on documenting the original damage and the fix along the way.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That can definitely be straightened out by someone who's good with metal. I've seen worse repaired perfectly. Take the bumper/light/fender liner off and there's plenty of room under that fender to maneuver.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to hear this, Kevin.

As far as replacing or straightening the panel... I don't think it makes much difference. The panel would still have to be painted and blended. if Dick's know what they are doing (and I believe they do) the end result will be about the same. So take a bunch of pics as Dave suggested, keep the estimates and final bills and you'll be fine. Let's face it, black is easier to color-match (not like white or red) so I think it would be fine.

BTW, I have the tie rod pins. Is your car going to sit at Dick's or will you be able to join the party?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

It's going to be at Dick's for a while... at this point I am just hoping not half the summer...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Kevin,
Very sorry to read this thread. I'd probably opt for a crisp, new panel - installed and protected correctly. While Noah is correct that craftsmen exist who could massage most if that back, you will still have tons of not-so-pretty evidence visible inside the fenderwell, and most certainly filler of some sort will be used.

Please keep us in the loop regarding your decision.

Andreas
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry about this.

Really, when all is said and done, it will look exactly the same whether they try and repair the existing panel or replace it.

Although I understand your concerns, the damage is minor and these cars are all about 15 years old, and some 'experience' is bound to happen to most cars as they age. It won't, or shouldn't, matter much in the long run whether they repair or replace. Think about all the $100K+ 356's that are trading hands that are full of Bondo and worse.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sorry about this.

Really, when all is said and done, it will look exactly the same whether they try and repair the existing panel or replace it.

Although I understand your concerns, the damage is minor and these cars are all about 15 years old, and some 'experience' is bound to happen to most cars as they age. It won't, or shouldn't, matter much in the long run whether they repair or replace. Think about all the $100K+ 356's that are trading hands that are full of Bondo and worse.
Think of Mr. Bock car with a new roof.......
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the opinions guys, appreciate it. I am thinking more and more about having the panel replaced as in the end that is going to end up with the best result. I'll have a chat with the body shop in the morning and let you guys know the outcome.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, it has been some years since that incident with my roof and car lift. In time, the pain will go away.
Foe me there was a silver lining as my car turned out better than before.

If you love the car and intend on keeping it for many years, then get the best quality work done that fits your budget. Don't cut corners unless you intend on selling quickly :-(

Good luck!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it right and make sure you get up to speed on collecting diminished value from the other insurance company
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnm
Do it right and make sure you get up to speed on collecting diminished value from the other insurance company
Yeah, that'll never happen. It's a fun thought, but the insurance company won't ever pay diminished value on it.

Quick Reply: An unfortunate incident