Sponsored by:

An unfortunate incident

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Wow, it has been some years since that incident with my roof and car lift. In time, the pain will go away.
Foe me there was a silver lining as my car turned out better than before.

If you love the car and intend on keeping it for many years, then get the best quality work done that fits your budget. Don't cut corners unless you intend on selling quickly :-(

Good luck!!!!!!
Fortunately I don't have any restraints when it comes to fixing it right as the fix is not on my insurance.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it all works out.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yeah, that'll never happen. It's a fun thought, but the insurance company won't ever pay diminished value on it.
+1. If your state does not allow diminished value, you won't get any additional compensation out of the insurance company.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Sorry to hear about this. Hope it all works out.

+1. If your state does not allow diminished value, you won't get any additional compensation out of the insurance company.
I've looked into this a little bit. This only applies if you are claiming against your own insurance, claiming against third party insurance is different.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
I've looked into this a little bit. This only applies if you are claiming against your own insurance, claiming against third party insurance is different.
Not in Maryland. I've been hit twice, once in the 993. No DV is allowed, although I did convince the adjuster to paint an extra part of the front end.

Your state may vary.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys who are recommending replacing the entire quarter panel -- check out the procedure in the factory manuals. It is **major** surgery. Drilling out dozens of factory spot welds, cutting in numerous locations, re-welding, etc etc. A complex job and one that involves some pretty serious hacking apart of the body of the car, removing glass, etc. Welding promotes rust and is best avoided unless required. Replacing the quarter panel involves tons of welding, in sensitive areas that are difficult to undercoat.

That, versus a couple hours of hammer and dolly work and a skim coat of filler....I know which I'd choose, and which will affect re-sale value better.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

That is interesting, usually the argument against it is that your contract with YOUR insurance company doesn't allow for diminished value. However, with regards to a third party, your claim for diminished value is as strong as your case (and as deep as your pocket). I think it requires expert testimony. Not sure who would serve that role. In my case auto insurance is not involved at all so I am not sure how that plays in.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
You guys who are recommending replacing the entire quarter panel -- check out the procedure in the factory manuals. It is **major** surgery. Drilling out dozens of factory spot welds, cutting in numerous locations, re-welding, etc etc. A complex job and one that involves some pretty serious hacking apart of the body of the car, removing glass, etc.

That, versus a couple hours of hammer and dolly work and a skim coat of filler....I know which I'd choose, and which will affect re-sale value better.
I hear what you're saying, but both will look exactly the same when done. It would take a very picky future buyer to dismiss a car because of this minor collision, and unless it's got under, say, 10K miles, a minor collision that was repaired correctly shouldn't matter much if at all. Also, some dents cannot be easily tapped out, and some body shops don't have the expertise to want to do it.

Like I said before, there are many $100K 356s that have plenty of Bondo and collision repair. They sell, and look, just fine.

It is common to have something painted/fixed on these 15 year old cars, and since most of these cars are not owned by the original owner, it will probably be forgotten in the years to come by the next owner or two down the road.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To replace 993 panels you require a special Porsche mig welder.
The weld is braising, not steel welding.
This welder requires less heat, hence the panels don't distort and less chance of rust.

So I would make sure any panel shop that you choose, has the special Porsche tools.

It will be tricky to get the edges of those panels perfect again.
Just look at handmade cars, they are not perfect.

Can't use body filler as you will most probably get shrinkage and on a dark car it will show up.

Just make sure any panel shop is Porsche trained and authorised.

If the panels are replaced the engine will have to come out, actually looking at the damage even if the panels are repaired the engine will be out
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, my vote is to repair. We repair these all the time on Cup cars and they come out looking brand new.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry that you have to endure something like this. I'm of the opinion to replace everything you can still get factory original for a close to perfect fit without the use of fillers. Even the most competent metal worker will work the panel to something close to the original contours and will spend hours with the filler, sanding and filling before the primer sandings and eventual paint.

I've seen my share of 356s and the full spctrum of repairs from bondo encrusted, rusted out lap welded panels to the perfection of a panel that was fabricated on an english wheel and artfully welded into place all of which only reveal themselves when the paint is stripped to the bare metal.

Good luck with whichever route you choose.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you were not injured.....sorry to see the Porsche was.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a great deal of irrational loathing of filler going on here. There's nothing wrong with filler, as long as it's used sparingly and appropriately. It appears that many people here would rather take a cutting wheel and hack a 993 to pieces rather than put the thinnest skim coat of bondo on a small dent. This is bananas. And if you think a body shop isn't going to use any filler in the course of replacing an entire 993 quarter panel, I've got some beachfront real estate in Arizona for sale.

For comparison's sake, below is a picture of a dent that a kind stranger put in my car in a parking garage a couple of years ago (no note was left, of course). This dent was hammered out expertly by a metal guy and the fender re-sprayed. You'd never know it was ever damaged and there isn't more than a fingernail's thickness of filler in any part of it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

So just an update on this one... I received a call from the body shop and the car is finalllllllly done... note almost 6 months after the original incident. They were able to repair everything without cutting the panel and also did a complete respray of the car while it was having the above work done. I will try to post some pictures when I do a walk around of the car.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Why 6 months to fix a simple dent and do a paint job?!?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
So just an update on this one... I received a call from the body shop and the car is finalllllllly done... note almost 6 months after the original incident. They were able to repair everything without cutting the panel and also did a complete respray of the car while it was having the above work done. I will try to post some pictures when I do a walk around of the car.
Whoa! Congrats!!!

Can't wait to see it!

Quick Reply: An unfortunate incident