Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,380 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
My car is worth about 90% of what I paid for it 11 years ago...I can live with that.
no, your car is worth what someone will pay for it.

Since you haven't sold it, you have no bloody clue what its worth.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found that people who spend disproportionate amounts of effort in life trying to show how "smart" they are or how "right" they are tend to alienate close friends and spouses.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no, your car is worth what someone will pay for it.

Since you haven't sold it, you have no bloody clue what its worth.
Unless, of course, I was just offered a certain amount for it...that would be a pretty good indicator yes?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude
I've found that people who spend disproportionate amounts of effort in life trying to show how "smart" they are or how "right" they are tend to alienate close friends and spouses.
I meant no offense...I was trying to illustrate to the OP that he probably isn't going to lose a lot of money either way. Sorry you took it that way.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the retained C2S yesterday. Here are my impressions. Sorry if it is a long post but since you guys participated so much, I felt I should do it that way. Overall, the seller is asking a high price, reflecting the high market for C2S, for a 8 out of 10 car (my opinion). For reference, here is my “guesstimate” of this car

your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest): 8
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): 8
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): 9
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest): 7-8

There was few issues, but one of them is the guy did DE with his street tires with camber and toe, he just removed the camber and toe (as per his mechanic) and now, the street tires are not even (easy to see, inside of the tire is used). Even with re-balancing, this seems to produce a shaking in the steering wheel between 60 and 70 (pretty big actually). Because of this, it was hard to get all first drive impressions but anyway. I’m in the buyer seat actually and I have a reference with my 964 that was almost 10/10 mechanically. If I can give an advice to anybody that wish to sell, make sure a street car is going as straight as it should.

I had a C4 964 cabriolet before (just sold it), I test drove a 993 NB years ago (quite far in my mind to compare), so I end up comparing my C4 964 to the C2S 993.

1- The gearbox is nicer to use than 964, much smoother and short shifting, the 6th look like an overdrive to me compared to my 964 because most other gears are comparable.
2- The 1997 C2S had a PSS9 OEM Suspension, set to low but smooth. Compared to my 964, the C2S suspension is much better. Even at the smoothest setup, it was holding really well and was very comfortable compared to the 964. So in term of city driving, that car suspension is better and in the nice thing is you can set it for the track as needed.
3- Straight line is bad compared to my 964 that was flying like an arrow. I guess tire wear is the issue. But this was a negative point.
4- “Feeling of the Flat-6”: Acceleration/Compression, sound, low and high revs. This engine is improved compared to the 3.6 of my 964. I can’t say if it is stronger (need more than a small test drive for this) but power band is larger for sure. The 964 engine is more “present” tough. My 964 with basic setup had more sound than this C2S with the 159 option (Motor Sound pkg). Maybe because my 964 was a cab. A novice might never notice this tough.
5- Interior: Same as my 964. Different color, different seat, that’s it. Same “feeling” when you’re inside.
6- Direction: Since I had a C4 964, I was thinking to see/feel a much better car (lighter in the front, no steering feeling on hard acceleration, etc). But because of the tire wear, I did not like the C2S direction… This is unfortunate and not representing the 993.

So, I did not drive the 993tt yet to compare, that’s why I’m comparing here with my 964 C4. If the seller would have fixed the straight line and the 60-70 shaking, I would have been more positive about this C2S.

PS: Please excuse my English syntax errors…
Pierre
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant no offense...I was trying to illustrate to the OP that he probably isn't going to lose a lot of money either way. Sorry you took it that way.
No, no, no. You're fine. My comment was directed toward our friend Quad. His "keepin' it real", hard-assed posture just seems so inconsistent with the generally positive spirit here, I just had to say something (and cause some confusion...sorry)
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,380 Likes on 799 Posts

No, no, no. You're fine. My comment was directed toward our friend Quad. His "keepin' it real", hard-assed posture just seems so inconsistent with the generally positive spirit here, I just had to say something (and cause some confusion...sorry)
If you are disturbed by my commentary, feel free to put me on ignore, you will not be alone in that.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Another way to look at this...

How many 993 c2s owners would trade in their c2s for a turbo?

How many 993 turbo owners would trade their car in for a c2s??
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

No worries!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412

Put me down as not trading my Turbo for the C2S. The Turbo's engine is very sweet, and that combined with the more euro-like gearing in the Turbo's transmission leads makes it hard to beat.

I am a poet and I don't know it!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmalenfa
I test drove the retained C2S yesterday. Here are my impressions. Sorry if it is a long post but since you guys participated so much, I felt I should do it that way. Overall, the seller is asking a high price, reflecting the high market for C2S, for a 8 out of 10 car (my opinion). For reference, here is my “guesstimate” of this car

your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest): 8
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): 8
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): 9
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest): 7-8

There was few issues, but one of them is the guy did DE with his street tires with camber and toe, he just removed the camber and toe (as per his mechanic) and now, the street tires are not even (easy to see, inside of the tire is used). Even with re-balancing, this seems to produce a shaking in the steering wheel between 60 and 70 (pretty big actually). Because of this, it was hard to get all first drive impressions but anyway. I’m in the buyer seat actually and I have a reference with my 964 that was almost 10/10 mechanically. If I can give an advice to anybody that wish to sell, make sure a street car is going as straight as it should.

I had a C4 964 cabriolet before (just sold it), I test drove a 993 NB years ago (quite far in my mind to compare), so I end up comparing my C4 964 to the C2S 993.

1- The gearbox is nicer to use than 964, much smoother and short shifting, the 6th look like an overdrive to me compared to my 964 because most other gears are comparable.
2- The 1997 C2S had a PSS9 OEM Suspension, set to low but smooth. Compared to my 964, the C2S suspension is much better. Even at the smoothest setup, it was holding really well and was very comfortable compared to the 964. So in term of city driving, that car suspension is better and in the nice thing is you can set it for the track as needed.
3- Straight line is bad compared to my 964 that was flying like an arrow. I guess tire wear is the issue. But this was a negative point.
4- “Feeling of the Flat-6”: Acceleration/Compression, sound, low and high revs. This engine is improved compared to the 3.6 of my 964. I can’t say if it is stronger (need more than a small test drive for this) but power band is larger for sure. The 964 engine is more “present” tough. My 964 with basic setup had more sound than this C2S with the 159 option (Motor Sound pkg). Maybe because my 964 was a cab. A novice might never notice this tough.
5- Interior: Same as my 964. Different color, different seat, that’s it. Same “feeling” when you’re inside.
6- Direction: Since I had a C4 964, I was thinking to see/feel a much better car (lighter in the front, no steering feeling on hard acceleration, etc). But because of the tire wear, I did not like the C2S direction… This is unfortunate and not representing the 993.

So, I did not drive the 993tt yet to compare, that’s why I’m comparing here with my 964 C4. If the seller would have fixed the straight line and the 60-70 shaking, I would have been more positive about this C2S.

PS: Please excuse my English syntax errors…
Pierre
The tire wear is not normal and can be/should be fixed. The car will them track perfectly straight and the steering wheel will not shake.

The only thing you need to decide is which one YOU like better...just make sure you compare cars that are in proper working order. When you test drive them, try to duplicate your expected usage for the car.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

I think nobody would trade their 993tt for a 993 C2S. I would be very surprised if somebody having a Turbo post a "Yes, give me 13-15k$ and your C2S and I'll give you my 993tt". On the other hand, the NA fans would probably don't care about buying a 993tt and the extra $$. My problem is that I'm not decided, but in the process of deciding

The tire wear is not normal and can be/should be fixed. The car will them track perfectly straight and the steering wheel will not shake.
Yes, my intention was to change the tires if I buy this car. I just hopt this is only the tires... So I'll make sure I get this checked by MY mechanics and not the seller mechanics.

The only thing you need to decide is which one YOU like better...just make sure you compare cars that are in proper working order. When you test drive them, try to duplicate your expected usage for the car.
You're right. My next step is a test drive on the 993tt (waiting for the seller to put back insurance on it...)

Will keep you posted in my progress. As you can see, I'm a picky buyer, spending a long time, effort and PPI/evaluation money in the buying process. I actually enjoy that part, maybe not as much as driving the car but I do like the buying process

Pierre
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a great way to look at it, you should even factor in $ isn't an issue since the OP could afford either one.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Carrera356
5th Gear

Can someone provide a comparison between the driving feel of these two cars?

993TT vs. C2S steering feel, suspension, AWD vs. 2WD?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP,
The weight and awkwardness of the 964 C4 is NOTHING like the 993 AWD system.
You mentioned disliking it in your 964, try the 993 system; mucho better.

Carrera356,
It's like warm apple pie.

Quick Reply: 993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.