Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 108 Posts

I am sure everyone has formulated their own opinion by now, but if I were to put aside the clairvoyance of long-tem collectibility for cars that see limited to no mileage, I really don't get the C2S vs. TT comparison.

Assuming bigger is better, the C2S has aesthetically pleasing rear fenders and a few differentiating cosmetic details. Other than being perhaps heavier, it is otherwise indestinguishable from a 1997 Carrera.

The Turbo does not compare - engine, brakes, suspension - totally different performance and really a different car altogether.

Comparing a 993 Carrera to a 993 TT would be a legitimate question of preference, performance and budget. But the C2S premium eludes me.

To each their own... and I do love them all!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=Bradford;9450518]
Originally Posted by race911
Sorry, don't derive any thrill from the simple action of pressing a throttle pedal and feeling pushed back in the seat.
QUOTE]

Really, nothing at all
Originally Posted by solomonschris
Scott, I certainly don't mean to speak for Ken, but I can understand, I think, his comments concerning street driving. I've only spent one day at the track in my 95 NA, but I did a lot of track days on various motorcycles. The track experience really altered my street behavior; it even changed the type of bike I wanted to ride on the street. If Ken's posts are any indication, he has spent more time on the track than anybody else here. That Ken is not driving a Prius with a roll cage instead of a Porsche is testimony to his sporting nature. I can't do track days anymore, but I still love acceleration. It is much safer to have a nice blast up to speed on a safe stretch of public road than to blast around a corner, the end of which you cannot see. That is why I bought a 993TT. I'm not sure it is much, if any, faster than my 09 C2S Cab. but it is a whale of a lot more fun to drive and look at. Cheers all.....Chris
Yeah, I think the gist of it is correct. But I'm mostly talking track duty--DE, open testing, and even racing. The straights are the most boring part. You've got your gas on point, and then it's just waiting for the braking point. Lots of time in videos I'll notice it's when I relax my hands, fiddle with my gloves--basically mentally check out for a few seconds thinking about my last round of golf or what needs to get done back at the shop. (Distinguish scenarios where there are cars around v. truly being out there solo. You don't let up on concentration when other cars are around.)

So, no I don't get the Chris Matthews thrill up my leg from acceleration. Really never have, and while I've not cared to own any really fast accelerating cars I have driven many. Street and track. And it's absolutely the least challenging thing there is to do behind the wheel. (And don't think I'm slamming drag racing here. Fascinated with that, and the ability to get a car to hook up. The guy who bought my RSA was ex-NHRA Top Alcohol with some Top Fuel experience. Spent more time picking his brain about those series than we talked about my car.)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

well this thread went pretty much as expected.

Ken...track data, check
C2S owners...we like it better than the turbo, check
somebody..."its better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, check
993 turbo owner...I spin in third gear (never happened to me ever, btw), check
guy with some sense...drive both and see which you like better, check

you want my opinion? 282bhp is not gonna cut it. I don't care about the collectability of my cars. My old POS has way to many miles on it for that to even be a factor.

Buy what you prefer driving and worry about resale later.
The following users liked this post:
Kyzcreig (11-22-2022)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you want my opinion? 282bhp is not gonna cut it. I don't care about the collectability of my cars. My old POS has way to many miles on it for that to even be a factor.

In what situations does 282hp not cut it for you? Street? Track? Please share your experiences and logic. I have found 282hp in a 993 to be adequate at the track. Not saying more power wouldn't be nice but 400hp would only get me down the straights faster. Won't really buy me much in the turns in an otherwise similarly handling car. And like Ken states, accelerating down the straights is the boring part of DEs for some of us. Viper guys love it though. Don't really care about the street. I have a 553 lb/ft of torque Touareg that will suck me into my seat nicely when I feel the need.

I do agree, one should buy what they prefer. I know that I won't be polling Rennlist on what car I should buy next.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Van1
In what situations does 282hp not cut it for you? Street? Track? Please share your experiences and logic. I have found 282hp in a 993 to be adequate at the track. Not saying more power wouldn't be nice but 400hp would only get me down the straights faster. Won't really buy me much in the turns in an otherwise similarly handling car. And like Ken states, accelerating down the straights is the boring part of DEs for some of us. Viper guys love it though. Don't really care about the street. I have a 553 lb/ft of torque Touareg that will suck me into my seat nicely when I feel the need.

I do agree, one should buy what they prefer. I know that I won't be polling Rennlist on what car I should buy next.
Its not a logic argument, its a personal preference. I like power and acceleration. When I drove NA 993s, i was always longing for more power. The car just felt a bit slow to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I know this is a little off topic but can someone who has owned ore driven both compare a 996 turbo with a 993 turbo?
For ME, there is no comparison. Don't want to hijack this thread but if you want my thoughts other than there is no comparison, pm me and I'll be happy to share.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post #9 nailed it.

I have driven both back to back on a daily bases for years.
The two greats are the light narrow body varioram coupe and the TT (IMO).

Depends if your location calls for a sling shot or sub 100mph precision in the twistys.

I used to think that the ultimate middle ground was the 4S, I now know you need both.

The C2S was looked at and is still in my eyes the entry level to wide body cars, get the turbo. (investment wise).
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
skicoach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has mentioned this to my knowledge so I thought I'd share another thought. I really don't care for the whale on the TT's. I think the WB's look much better w/o them. I love the C2S for it's aesthetic appeal, historical perspective, and RWD handling.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I looked at and drove both and bought the C2S....it is not a better car...but it is the car that I liked better. Power is like ***** - more is not always better and everyone likes something different.
The following users liked this post:
Kyzcreig (11-22-2022)
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Porschegroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said DC
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well this thread went pretty much as expected.

Ken...track data, check
C2S owners...we like it better than the turbo, check
somebody..."its better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, check
993 turbo owner...I spin in third gear (never happened to me ever, btw), check
guy with some sense...drive both and see which you like better, check

I may talk track data, but what do I see in your response--data (282bhp). Goes back to the naval gazing when I got into these things on whether you wanted a 2.4 E or S because some car magazine got a better 0-60 time with an E. And I'm sure we can back it up all the way to a couple of cavemen grunting about whose wheel was rounder.

Anyway, I think when I got in on page 1 it had already been mentioned to the original poster to buy which he liked more. Which I concurred, as do you.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***** for the win
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by race911
I may talk track data, but what do I see in your response--data (282bhp). Goes back to the naval gazing when I got into these things on whether you wanted a 2.4 E or S because some car magazine got a better 0-60 time with an E. And I'm sure we can back it up all the way to a couple of cavemen grunting about whose wheel was rounder.

Anyway, I think when I got in on page 1 it had already been mentioned to the original poster to buy which he liked more. Which I concurred, as do you.
Ken, you took that the wrong way.

There is nothing wrong with presenting track data as its really the only quantifiable way to measure these things.

Just seems that these threads all go the same way.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
turbo.... Most desirable 993. No one lusts after the c2s. And 40 years from now it will be the turbo that carries the value.
+1. IIRC, the C2S was a no-cost option based on subjective aesthetics and some interior trim bits. This wide body look is in fashion right now, which keeps prices up. A Turbo has tangible hardware upgrades and undisputed performance advantages. If you're looking to retain as much of your purchase price as possible over the long term, I can't see how the C2S will "out value" at TT, assuming you bought it right.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
If you're looking to retain as much of your purchase price as possible over the long term, I can't see how the C2S will "out value" at TT, assuming you bought it right.
My car is worth about 90% of what I paid for it 11 years ago...I can live with that.

Quick Reply: 993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.