Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The logic in the opinion that a C2S will hold value or be worth more then a TT based on production numbers is hard to understand.

Wouldn't the same be true for a Targa?
How about the 89 turbo look cars, are they now worth more then the 930?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 220 Posts

Come on we all know everyone wants a C4S especially a 98 Ocean Blue Metallic w/Cashmere interior!

Kidding...I too agree with Knight and other TT owners that the Turbo's are the pinnacle of 993 ownership; the car most 993 lovers and 911 lovers tend to gravitate to. The looks, power, and being the Turbo car makes it the collectible that it is as shown by rising prices.

The C2S is an amazing car in its own right just like the C4S. Purchase what you can afford and enjoy it!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Porschegroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is C2S. IMO the Turbo is cool but the NA has better sound, feel, and is more satisfying overall. I have had 993 and 964 turbos and prefer C2S. Either way, youll have a blast. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To this point it all depends on supply and demand. The C2S has this aura around it because it was a new and somewhat limited model at the end of the 993 production run. It has RWD, but the widebody that so many covet. None of the weight and complication of the AWD system of a C4/C4S or Turbo. My suggestion is that the C2S was, is, and will probably continue to be a special version of the 993 line. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone suggest a C2S would be worth more than a comparable Turbo, just that because of the dynamics of the C2S it has done well to hold value and should continue to do so. And as for the Targa - it's been a very limited production car with an even more limited market. I, for example, have no interest in any sort of opening of the top, not even the sunroof in any of my Porsches has been opened by me and I long for "sunroof delete". So a cab or targa just is not in my "demand" column regardless of how limited the "supply". As others have said, they are all great cars.

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
The logic in the opinion that a C2S will hold value or be worth more then a TT based on production numbers is hard to understand.

Wouldn't the same be true for a Targa?
How about the 89 turbo look cars, are they now worth more then the 930?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pmalenfa
Your comments are great! I went trough the tread and that's exactly what I wanted to know. I retain from your comments that whatever the cost of maintenance and resale value, they should be similar and good if both cars are well rounded. ABCar mentionned one point that I realized I was forgetting...
"Which do you like driving better?". I'll find out in the next days when I'll test drive the examples I retained.

Again, thanks for you contributions.

Pierre
Please take notes and post a comparison. Many like me have never driven both.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

turbo.... Most desirable 993. No one lusts after the c2s. And 40 years from now it will be the turbo that carries the value.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

The fact that the is even a debate about this tells you how special the c2s is. There are only a few naturally aspirated 911's that are even worthy of this debate v. There turbo-charged counterpart.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Take a look at the 964 line for example. There were around 200 964 widebodies and 300 of the 964 Turbos imported. While the 964 widebodies are considered a special car, it is the 964T that have recently skyrocket in asking price.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
The C2S has this aura around it because it was a new and somewhat limited model at the end of the 993 production run. It has RWD, but the widebody that so many covet. None of the weight and complication of the AWD system of a C4/C4S or Turbo.
Or that they really couldn't give them away when new? (No, I wasn't in the market at the time, but awhile back I did post the story of one of my customers who brought his 3.2L car in for service and went home with a 2S for a number that probably would have even had me paying attention.)

And what complications of the AWD system? A viscous coupler, driveshaft, diff, and two halfshafts. About as simple as it gets. Per usual, I challenge anyone to demonstrate any meaningful difference on the street (dry, debris free pavement), and overlay data of track use. In my case, it's almost incrementally insignificant; and I've pretty much got two cars at the ends of the spectrum.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Partially being the contrarian, but also from my experience.

The guys at the track who want more power (outside of professional series) are more often than not trying to spend their way to the front. Which is why I laugh at how the "racers" look down on, say, golf or tennis. No matter the equipment in those sports, merely having the "skill" to push your foot to a floorboard is no comparison.

As far as street cars (amazingly) people have money, and it's still a free country (and world, for the most part) so there will always be demand to tweak and personalize. What it really gets you after all is said and done.......well I think we can also agree that nearly all of the aftermarket overpromises and underdelivers.
Ken, I'm not sure what you are trying to say about racing here. I do believe that there is a tendency among many who are losing to, if not blame their equipment, believe that with better equipment they could do better. This is true in any competition where equipment places a significant role. The fact that people try to buy their way to the front does not negate their desire for more power.
The same is true for street cars. The fact that some of this equipment does not perform as well as claimed does not negate the buyer's desire for more power.
Let me cut to the chase here with a hypothetical: Porsche has discovered a problem with the ECU's in their 993NA and TT's. They offer a free replacement. In the case of the 993C2S the owner can choose between a 285hp ECU to replicate original stock hp, or a 310hp ECU. They claim equal performance, fuel economy and engine durability. Which one would the vast majority of 993C2S owners choose. Apply the same scenario to the TT.
I agree with many of the posts here. I thought every Porsche I've owned had plenty of power, but I never once wished for less power (the point of my original post) and often thought it would be nice for a bit more.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=race911;9447698] Sorry, don't derive any thrill from the simple action of pressing a throttle pedal and feeling pushed back in the seat.
QUOTE]

Really, nothing at all
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott, I certainly don't mean to speak for Ken, but I can understand, I think, his comments concerning street driving. I've only spent one day at the track in my 95 NA, but I did a lot of track days on various motorcycles. The track experience really altered my street behavior; it even changed the type of bike I wanted to ride on the street. If Ken's posts are any indication, he has spent more time on the track than anybody else here. That Ken is not driving a Prius with a roll cage instead of a Porsche is testimony to his sporting nature. I can't do track days anymore, but I still love acceleration. It is much safer to have a nice blast up to speed on a safe stretch of public road than to blast around a corner, the end of which you cannot see. That is why I bought a 993TT. I'm not sure it is much, if any, faster than my 09 C2S Cab. but it is a whale of a lot more fun to drive and look at. Cheers all.....Chris
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Chris, I wasn't really thinking street or track when I made that comment. I will say that the simple action of pressing on the throttle pedal and being pushed back in your seat can be quite a rush, at least IMO .

Glad to see you got your car back and am hope you are enjoying it!

Last edited by Bradford; 04-16-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM
TTKan
Pro

I have owned all variations of the 993 coupe, the last two being the 993 Twin Turbo. And while I liked all of the 993s, the turbo is really something special and after 5 years I am still in love . . . driving it and just looking at it in the garage. It is one very, very special car!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a little off topic but can someone who has owned ore driven both compare a 996 turbo with a 993 turbo?

Quick Reply: 993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.