Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
This is not scientific, but it feels like 993T prices have remained pretty constant over the past 5 years, while C2S prices have gone up. .
Not sure I agree, it seems the Turbo prices dipped a few years ago and are now at elevated prices - I had been closely watching the prices over the US and Canada when searching for my car, and they definitely have been rising in the last year or so....
Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definetly can't go wrong with either one, but there is no better feeling then when those turbos kick in, it really is addictive! Good luck with your search and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree both will be excellent choices, again like others have stated it really depends on how you want to enjoy that 3K miles/year. I can't see maintenance being that significantly different, with your annual miles so low.

Now this is what I've noticed, generally it seems only most existing p-car owners or enthusiasts see the extra value of a C2S. I was after one myself at one point, however I doubt I would pay that much more premium $ vs a C4S. Since some even argue the C4S comes at times more loaded with options.

However when you talk to non Porsche owners or car guys in general, they place the TT at the piannacle for the 993. I get it all the time, people stating the TT was a poster on their bedroom wall or still dream car to get one day.

So talking investment point of view, there is a chance when re-selling a TT vs C2S you might have a larger pool of people that would be willing to pay the premium $.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993 770
You definetly can't go wrong with either one, but there is no better feeling then when those turbos kick in, it really is addictive! Good luck with your search and enjoy the ride!
+1 on this. Had a 91 965 about 4 years ago and when the turbo spooled up man was that fun. Felt like never ending power. Kind of like the Star Wars version of going into warp drive.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that any Porshe owner, no matter which model he was driving, has thought to himself "This would be so much more fun if I only had a little less power" Porsche 993's, like all but a very few cars, should not be considered investment instruments. On the other hand they give a pleasure dividend way beyond what their cost would suggest and they keep doing so for many, many years. I agree with the sentiment that you can't go wrong with either. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

You might factor in more speeding tickets for a turbo in your cost estimates!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Which do you like driving better?
That's where the conversation starts and stops. To me, anyway.

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I doubt that any Porshe owner, no matter which model he was driving, has thought to himself "This would be so much more fun if I only had a little less power"
Me.

If the yellow car had GT3 power I'd be two seconds a lap quicker, maybe, at the tracks I run. (Don't confuse that with the GT3 engine blowing away our air cooleds in the powerband/rev range area. Would nearly kill for that in an air cooled that I could work on.)

With the 4S around town, when I have I last driven it over maybe 80-85? Can't remember. And a 20-80 pull, it's mattered that I could do it a second or two quicker? Sorry, don't derive any thrill from the simple action of pressing a throttle pedal and feeling pushed back in the seat.

Bottom line is that over the years I've come to the conclusion that a street car with a 12:1 wt:hp ratio, and a broad torque curve is about as entertaining as you're ever going to enjoy. On track? Adjust it to 9 or 10:1. Anything more out of balance and I guarantee you the car is way past all but the tiny majority of drivers.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

993TT values have definitely risen over the past 5 years. In 2007 I nearly bought a 14,000 mile 'listers TT for $65K - black/black. In hindsight, I should have bought that car!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken...You make some good points, but I'm thinking your extensive time at the track might put you in the minority. With that said, I have to say that all the guys that I have known over the years who raced, tried their best to get more power out of their engine...usable power, but power nonetheless. As for street driven cars, the aftermarket industry for freer flowing exhaust, modified ECU's, increased compression, and increased displacement to name just a few, indicate to me that a lot of P-car folks would like more power. After reading your post I will amend my statement from "any Porsche owner" to "most Porsche owners".
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a variety of Porsches and almost all were much more powerful than my 993 C2S. But for the street, this car has plenty of power. I've spent a lot of time on the track both as an advanced driver and then as an instructor and I looked for every bit of power I could find to improve lap times. But on the street I really don't care if I'm 5 seconds or 4.5 seconds from 0 to 60. Discovering what's important to me has been a lot of fun and the NA widebody is my choice.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've had a variety of Porsches and almost all were much more powerful than my 993 C2S. But for the street, this car has plenty of power. I've spent a lot of time on the track both as an advanced driver and then as an instructor and I looked for every bit of power I could find to improve lap times. But on the street I really don't care if I'm 5 seconds or 4.5 seconds from 0 to 60. Discovering what's important to me has been a lot of fun and the NA widebody is my choice.
That is exactly my sentiment. I am enjoying this thread...really gets to the heart and soul of 993 ownership from an interesting perspective.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Heck, if they are both beauties.....get them both! Then you'll have something to smile about.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

As a C4S owner, I've sometimes pined about having a 993TT and all that power (wish I liked whale tails more; that's another story). But I'm in a large congested urban setting and I think I'd rarely be able to put that power to much good use here, except at red light wars and I can usually do just fine in those in my NA car.

There is much truth to the old saying that it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your comments are great! I went trough the tread and that's exactly what I wanted to know. I retain from your comments that whatever the cost of maintenance and resale value, they should be similar and good if both cars are well rounded. ABCar mentionned one point that I realized I was forgetting...
"Which do you like driving better?". I'll find out in the next days when I'll test drive the examples I retained.

Again, thanks for you contributions.

Pierre
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Ken...You make some good points, but I'm thinking your extensive time at the track might put you in the minority. With that said, I have to say that all the guys that I have known over the years who raced, tried their best to get more power out of their engine...usable power, but power nonetheless. As for street driven cars, the aftermarket industry for freer flowing exhaust, modified ECU's, increased compression, and increased displacement to name just a few, indicate to me that a lot of P-car folks would like more power. After reading your post I will amend my statement from "any Porsche owner" to "most Porsche owners".
Partially being the contrarian, but also from my experience.

The guys at the track who want more power (outside of professional series) are more often than not trying to spend their way to the front. Which is why I laugh at how the "racers" look down on, say, golf or tennis. No matter the equipment in those sports, merely having the "skill" to push your foot to a floorboard is no comparison.

As far as street cars (amazingly) people have money, and it's still a free country (and world, for the most part) so there will always be demand to tweak and personalize. What it really gets you after all is said and done.......well I think we can also agree that nearly all of the aftermarket overpromises and underdelivers.

Quick Reply: 993 C2S or Turbo for long term? Your opinion please.