Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission bearing replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission bearing replacement...

With the summer like weather the last few days taking the last of the snow and highway debris into the ditches...I managed to get the p-car into the shop for a complete fluid change and once over.

The fluid change went fine but the test drive revealed the bearings in the tranny are in need of replacement, according to my guru...and this will involve removing the unit. Which brings me to the second, not so pressing issue, but still in the 'nice to do' column...the 'seeping' cam chain covers. Not leaking, in fact after almost 5 months of storage, not a drop to be seen on the floor, but still pretty oil soaked.

Soooo, the thinking is to remove the engine, pull the tranny for inspection and repair, do the cam covers and put everything back.

My question is: besides the 'bearings' in the tranny is there anything else worth doing while it is on the bench, as far as 'upgrades' goes?

And while the engine is on the stand, besides replacing the 'insulation sound barrier' at the firewall...is there anything to consider while the area is open? Besides the mandatory cleaning, etc.?

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Search the term:
while I'm in there

Lots of stuff you could do....question is how much does your wallet want to pay?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Thanks Keith...just did that and came up with steel syncro's and different gear set...no one said which set is better than stock though.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Did the transmission exhibit any signs of wear & tear before you took it off the road for the Winter?

Seems a bit suspect to me. Who's the wrench (if you're willing to disclose)?

Andreas
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, I would be curious on how the diagnosis was reached...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

my tranny gives me some cold issues.. running factory Mobile 1 synthetic 75W90 gear oil and when the car has been sitting outside (colder than the garage) my 1st and 2nd gear shifts are not smooth.. i get a slight crunch feeling (nothing major) and does not happen when it warms up. I dont know if running thinner oil will help the syncros spin up quicker.

phil.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
jakfrost
Racer

I have known there was going to be a day when I would have to have a look at the trans since the day I bought the car. The first time I pulled up to a light after a few hours driving and slipped into neutral and let out the clutch...rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle. Push the clutch in and quiet.

All else is good, just when cold it hesitates to complete the shift from 1st to 2nd. Once warmed up all is fine.

So all last summer I just told myself that its the 'throw-out bearing' ( remember those?), and I would get to it over the winter. I actually forgot about it, plus never got my lift that I promised myself and so figured I would have my guy sort it out and be done with it.

I used to pull the engine and trans with no hesitation on my 2.7 '73S but not sure I'm ready to go down that road with the 993 just yet. I'd rather be driving than wrenching right now...

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

And you're sure that the car has a standard dual-mass flywheel?

Andreas
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

If you have an RS clutch, rattling is normal when the clutch is out. What is your clutch?

Some cold "reluctant" shifting is almost normal as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
I have known there was going to be a day when I would have to have a look at the trans since the day I bought the car. The first time I pulled up to a light after a few hours driving and slipped into neutral and let out the clutch...rattle, rattle, rattle, rattle. Push the clutch in and quiet.

All else is good, just when cold it hesitates to complete the shift from 1st to 2nd. Once warmed up all is fine.

So all last summer I just told myself that its the 'throw-out bearing' ( remember those?), and I would get to it over the winter. I actually forgot about it, plus never got my lift that I promised myself and so figured I would have my guy sort it out and be done with it.

I used to pull the engine and trans with no hesitation on my 2.7 '73S but not sure I'm ready to go down that road with the 993 just yet. I'd rather be driving than wrenching right now...

Jim
Hi Jim,

That noise can be many things including a worn, dry TOB, RS LWF, and sometimes a bad pilot bearing.

You didn't say how many miles are on your car, nor what clutch/flywheel you may have so its difficult to offer anything more constructive. I would recommend checking those things before disassembling the transmission.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Thanks Steve, the car has 78,000 miles on it, the clutch and flywheel were replaced at 47,882 with a RSR clutch and lightweight flywheel, along with a number of other items.

Not sure how the scanned invoice will show up...but it seems that Callas Rennsport did the following work in Sept 2004:

Replace the following items:
1. Clutch slave cylinder
2. Release bearing fork
3. Release fork kit
4. Clutch pressure plate
5. Flywheel ( RSR lightweight )
6. Clutch release bearing
7. Ring gear, flywheel
8. Clutch disc
9. Pilot bearing
10 Guide tube
11 Flywheel bolts
12 Main shaft seal

Under 'Labor Description' it is written out as:
" Remove gearbox and replace upgrade clutch complete including lightweight flywheel, replace gearbox mainshaft and flywheel crankshaft seals, replace flywheel and pressure plate bolts, pilot bearing, operating fork and pilot bearings including operating fork shaft with bearings, replace complete assembly with lightweight flywheel kit at customers request."

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Well, if you're not Robert Barclay, then I think your transmission is just fine (provided your mechanic refilled it with the correct fluid).

A lightweight flywheel will make your transmission sound like something's loose in there - while at idle.

This is why I originally asked about your flywheel...

Andreas
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Jim
What do you mean by "it hesitates to complete the shift from 1st to 2nd"?

Do you mean it isn't smooth? If so, I'm not going to say its normal, but it seems many experience that till the transmission warms up. My 993 does that during about the first 5 kilometers after a cold start. After that, it is silky smooth running Mobil 1 75W-90.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

And while the engine is on the stand, besides replacing the 'insulation sound barrier' at the firewall...is there anything to consider while the area is open?

Jim
Jim, I just helped install one of those sound insulation pads last weekend. Its not a tough job, but it can be time consuming if you are particular about how the job is done. There are about 14 holes that need to be punched through the pad for the studs, and locating those is what is time consuming. We used a hole punch which made nice clean holes; a shop would likely just push the studs through the material to save time.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Well, if you're not Robert Barclay, then I think your transmission is just fine (provided your mechanic refilled it with the correct fluid).

A lightweight flywheel will make your transmission sound like something's loose in there - while at idle.

This is why I originally asked about your flywheel...

Andreas
Tks Andreas, no I'm not Mr. Barclay, whom, I might add, paid over $7,000.00, ( in 2004...), to Callas to get his car back.
That little bit of information, ( "a lightweight flywheel will make your transmission sound like something's loose in there - while at idle" ), probably saved me $$$.
This is the inside of my 'wrench's' shop, he is usually occupied trying to squeeze a little advantage out of the 3.8, ( soon to be 4.0 ), engine. Working on my mundane little 993 is a light diversion for him, hahaha.

Hmmm...one of those ZZZ serial numbers, don't bother going to the DMV.

What? no carpet???

Don't worry about a 'vanity' plate...the decal says it all!

No need for a window crank! They're plastic!

Soft luggage only!

Serious office space...

Quick Reply: Transmission bearing replacement...