Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Roberto Zamora
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sell it, drive it on longer trips on weekends. Cars and coffee ect..
Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

I never thought I would agree with QC, but I definitely do on this one.

We love these cars (QC included, if he's honest).

Life is way too short to not enjoy them.

I have enjoyed mine every day for the last 6 years or so.

On the other hand, I do have a "beater" for things like kids' soccer games, concerts, etc.

Harry
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm not sure why anybody wants to think like this. Is it a financial thing?

I'm not saving my car for anybody.
I get that about you and that is cool - and it is not financial for me in any way. I very much enjoy seeing old cars that are not in museums and are driven regularly, valuable or not, that look like they did when new-ish. It's just my thing. When I think of the care the owners took to maintain that condition over 40-50 years - enough to prevent them going to the scrappers, I respect them and I like it. I treat pretty much everything I own with similar care.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry L

On the other hand, I do have a "beater" for things like kids' soccer games, concerts, etc.

Harry
I have been struggling with the amount of miles I put on my car becuase I just want to drive the damned thing all the time...and the conditions we all put up with on public roads these days.

My solution was to get a "beater" except I wanted a Porsche that I could enjoy as a dd. My new-to me 944 S2 seems like a good comprimise so far. (Even though it is not or ever will be a "beater" in my ownership).

Jack of Hearts...why don't you chime in on this again? Amid all these opinions and stories, it still sounds like you are just ready to move on...what do you think?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 566 Posts

Can't take it with you...........although some people may want to be buried in it.........drive the wheels off of it...............even if car appreciates back to $ 50 K in another 10 years........that is not real money......
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I get that about you and that is cool - and it is not financial for me in any way. I very much enjoy seeing old cars that are not in museums and are driven regularly, valuable or not, that look like they did when new-ish. It's just my thing. When I think of the care the owners took to maintain that condition over 40-50 years - enough to prevent them going to the scrappers, I respect them and I like it. I treat pretty much everything I own with similar care.
gotcha. Everybody has their own thing, and I can appreciate trying to keep the car nice (although I do it more for myself than the next guy)

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
castorjs
Instructor

Drive it and enjoy it. Do your best at defensive driving and whatever happens happens. I spend so much time commuting that I might as well have fun when I do. Mine is a daily driver.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

J o H:

I understand what you're going through, and good luck with your decision.

For many of us, the enthusiasm we have for our cars bears a certain price.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Well of course like any coin, there are two sides of this problem ...

For work I extensively travel to Europe. And I am pleasantly surprised that so many 993's are being used for their daily commuting owners. Last week in London I saw quite a few and surprisingly a handful of Targas. Why would you want that model. to look at the rain ?
This week here in Paris again a steady stream of 993's are on the boulevards going through the work week traffic. All smiles on their faces when I give them the thumbs up.
My philosophy of use it, not abuse it is still prevalent in these places. Sure on the weekend you will see more exotics coming out, and driven with just as much pleasure off course.

So to each their own. For me ? Ride it. I paid for it. And like life, a day goes by and is lost, and not driven is a terrible day not lived to me.

EC
Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I put 245,000 miles on a 1971 911T Targa over a 25 year period. Just bought a 98,000 mile C4 a couple of months ago. I figure it's just well broken in.

It's a car. Cars are made to be driven.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep it and drive it on the weekends.
Get a different ride as a DD, you will enjoy the time in the Porsche that much more. I have a dodge ram as a DD and never worry about where I park other then can I fit.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 AM
dylanc
Advanced

I don't think you should sell the car. You love the car.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The fact that you have to ask for consultation, may be your answer to your question of sensitivity. You have a DD...Either sell the car or keep it for regular garage viewings
Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

first of all, appealing to a 993 - centric enthusiast's group is going to give you a biased opinion.

Unless you were in a financial crisis, no one here will advise you to get rid of the car and move on.

It is interesting, however, as a product of this discussion, that even though we universally share a common interest and desire of the 993, the viewpoints behind those interests vary widely, as do the uses we each have.
There are full blown race cars, part time track cars, dual use cars, daily drivers, strictly street cars, weekend use cars, garage queens, and probably a few other categories that I skipped.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want out of the experience, and what makes you happy.
If owning the 993 is more stressful than enjoyable, then you have the wrong car.

For the rest of us, the enjoyment far outweighs the stress.

Quick Reply: Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict