Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,395 Likes on 809 Posts

sure is a silly reason to sell a car you seemingly like.

Get yourself some stated value insurance and drive the bloody thing. If something happens, something happens, and then go pick out another 993.

I've never understood the point of driving a ****box daily to avoid driving your nice car.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Get yourself some stated value insurance and drive the bloody thing. If something happens, something happens, and then go pick out another 993.

I've never understood the point of driving a ****box daily to avoid driving your nice car.
QFT. If the cost of maintaining it as a daily driver is a problem, I understand. If not, WTF? It's just a car. Car meant to be driven. Damn thing doesn't have feelings that are being hurt because you're driving it the "wrong" way. Even if it did have feeling, mine would be pissed that I was with a different car 6 days a week and it only got to go out one!

The whole reason I got a 993 was because I had BMW 3.0CSL that I never drove because it was so rare and all the unique body parts were NLA. One little tap by someone and it would be gone, forever. Not so with our beloved 993s. Plenty around. It can and should be driven -- in whatever way makes you happy.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 547 Posts

One word....IF AT ALL POSSIBLE............MOVE...)

Don't have the "rat race" of a SC environment where you live dictate such a decision........

I used to live in Southern California (also NYC area/DC area, etc..) - and after time it is just not worth it anymore.......to do battle...... everyday on the road, waiting in line, dealing with big city egos and attitude, etc....life is complicated enough.....

I found a job elsewhere in a small town of less than 100,000 and have never been happier........I fly back to California to see relatives, friends, etc....a week there is enough of a fix.....

Large changes/moves are not for everybody, but it does yield a higher quality of life.......lower cost of living, no real traffic issues, more free time that is your own.....

I also have gone through several nice cars and the 993 always stays.........it is a special car.....

All that said, of which a move is probably impractical for you.......and based on how you have cared for your 993.......keep it and if it gets trashed over time.......buy another good one......
Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Too valuable?

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I totally agree with Quadcammer. You own a 993 daily driver. It's not a low milage car and it has had 3-4 panels repainted. I do not understand how a $30,000.00, if you can get it , is to valuable to drive. Put the US spec springs back on and ask your doctor to check you for low-T. It's a car. You only live once. Who are you saving it for? Why would you drive a ****box unless you had to? This goes back to the ugly issue of who should really own a 15 year old Porsche. You need to have the Mettle to own and drive a 993.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

No matter what you drive or where, there are A$$'s out there. Some places just have a higher concentration of them. Sadly some drive 911's.

Your being way to sensitive. It's just a 993 not a 904, or a F40. Use it, enjoy it, & don't worry so much about it. If you can't "loosen up" take a couple of track days or Auto-X, once you know how to throw your car around, you might not worry about it so much.

I worry more about parking, then driving. I love seeing a HUGE SUV boxing me in parking in compact parking.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with the posters above. Porsches were meant to drive, not gather dust under a bubble in a garage. Looks are only a part of the Porsche experience. Driving is what its all about.

A good 993 costs less than a new SUV these days.

Last edited by ehanauer; 03-21-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I love my 993, I couldn't drive it every day. I'm used to driving modern cars with a bit more luxury inside and the rawness of the 993 is fun (that's why I have one) but not my cup of tea every day. I don't find the seats that comfy, the non adjustable steering wheel is limiting and then there is the getting in and out, which isn't as easy as other cars. Great car, just not a daily driver in my opinion. A good balance would be a new BMW 535 and a 993. This is why the newer cars have all of these features, because people want them, or the majority of people want them, not 993 owners.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts

Then I drove it to work this morning and I remembered exactly why I was selling it: It's not the car itself--it's awesome to drive but it's stressful.

Just not sure I'm up for the battle anymore. The car is too valuable to risk having it trashed by all the irresponsible careeners on So Cal roads.

Am I just being too sensitive? Feel free to counsel me....
if it is too stressful, then clearly drive a car that is less stressful for your commute.

I take the 993 when there is little traffic (early AM) and/or on weekends. I don't use the 993 as a DD.

Too Valuable? I guess that is a matter of opinion, sure it would be a shame to have it wrecked, but that is true of any car.

are you being TOO sensitive. I think so.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

With a pool of owners this large, there will be a response spread from those that believe the 993 is 'just a car' to those who fear a dead bug may taint the paint. I like to think I am just the guardian of my beauty and wish in the future to pass it on in about the same condition, however it is not my DD. I do park miles away from any other car because avoidable door dents **** me off, but I also hit the rev limiter pretty much every time I drive it. Sounds to me like you may be posing this question because of a gut feeling nagging at you. Trust your gut feeling and have a car and commute you can enjoy.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Southern CA traffic is pretty bad but I was never overly concerned about the depreciation of the car in the event of an accident (its not an Ferrari Enzo). I would be concerned only for my safety in the event of an accident, which I think and hope a 993 would provide adequate protection. The only car I was worried to drive around in was my '70 240Z. The sheet metal of that car is paper thing. A close second is my S2000. Darn light weight japanese cars; so fun to drive but becomes deadly in the event of a serious accident.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,395 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I like to think I am just the guardian of my beauty and wish in the future to pass it on in about the same condition,
I'm not sure why anybody wants to think like this. Is it a financial thing?

I'm not saving my car for anybody.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

I totally understand this question, and I have to say, careeners are not limited to SoCal by any means (I just got my car back after an encounter with one in DC). After dealing with all of the difficulty of getting the thing fixed, and worrying about some other idiot crashing into it again, I'm thinking about selling as well.

Unneccesary stress is pointless, so if driving the car makes you worried for any significant reason (safety or otherwise), it's probably not worth it. I tell this myself often. Then I spend a bit of time in the car and the cloud evaporates.

If you have that experience, then consider keeping it. If not, I, for one, wouldn't blame you for moving on to something you worry about less.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

If you do sell the car, how would you feel?

would you miss some type of sports car, maybe not necessarily the 993? Would you even miss it?
Herein lies your answer.

I know I would miss it a lot.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

wow I did not expect such a strong response! Good comments by many of you, especially JoAnne and Kika.

It appears most of you have struggled with similar issues.

Time was I had a vintage sports car, an everyday sports car, an unstreetable autocross car, a sports sedan, a wheel-to-wheel race car (also unstreetable) plus a truck and two trailers to drag them all around.

These days I find simplicity a lot more appealing...

My surfboards and windsurf boards fit in my Volvo v70R...Aggression can be taken out on the water....and there are no insurance claims.

--chris

PS: Also the Volvo has more HP than the 993
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
...I've owned more than 30 Euro sports cars...but none of them were as gorgeous as the 993.
The car is too valuable to risk having it trashed by all the irresponsible careeners on So Cal roads.
Your first comment above...Re-read it. There's a reason you own the 993.

I LOVE that I can out-stop/maneuver any other vehicle on the road here in SoCal and feel MUCH safer because of that. Try that in any "normal" car. Its saved me a number of times. Yes, you DO have to drive more defensively in the relatively small 993, but that careening SUV will damage a less valuable (and FAR less exciting) Hyundai you could be driving just as well...

As the saying goes...or perhaps paraphrasing a bit..."Upon their death bed, no one ever said 'I should've spent more time in the Hyundai'".

Quick Reply: Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict