Sponsored by:

Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict

Well....as a few of you know I've got my '96 C2 advertised for sale. The link's below so click it if you want to...ad's over after that...

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-for-sale.html

Anyway as part of that process I've been fixing up little, unpleasant things so that the new owner isn't inheriting any problems. I replaced a cracked CV joint boot and repacked the joint (unpleasant, gooey); removed the front bumper and did both the fan resistors (no wonder so many RL'ers relocated the damn things).

The funny thing is that doing these tedious chores actually made me think more about keeping the car. Last night I was looking at it in the garage and it's just a gorgeous piece of automotive sculpture. I've owned more than 30 Euro sports cars (including a 1971 911T Targa, an Alfa Romeo Milano 3.0 and a 1959 Triumph TR-3) but none of them were as gorgeous as the 993.

Then I drove it to work this morning and I remembered exactly why I was selling it: It's not the car itself--it's awesome to drive but it's stressful.

Giant jacked-up pickups careening across 2 or 3 lanes--they're not looking to see if someone faster is coming up next to them. Women (and men) weaving around in their lane--you peer in and see them texting on their phone or changing the song on their Ipod--they are not gonna notice if traffic suddenly stops. Then the two laps of the parking bldg looking for a space where someone won't throw open the door of their 1978 Oldsmobile and take out my door.

Just not sure I'm up for the battle anymore. The car is too valuable to risk having it trashed by all the irresponsible careeners on So Cal roads.

Am I just being too sensitive? Feel free to counsel me....
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 344 Likes on 153 Posts

You are not being too sensitive. I know the feeling and it's not just happening in So. Cal. It is EVERYWHERE.
We sold my last 993 (a cab) after I had to run off the road to be barely missed by a 4 X 4 who didn't realize he was driving down the middle of the road. He saw me in the last seconds he swerved to miss me, over corrected and the last I saw of him was in my rearview mirror. He was back in my lane going around a curve....... Thank goodness no one was coming around the bend. After that I just was not comfortable driving down that tiny country road to get back home in the 993. I Moved on up to a big ol' MB E320 tank.

Here is a BIG Cyber hug for you. Hope you feel consoled.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why don't you just buy a driver and keep 993 for enjoyment. My nice cars do not get parked in crowded public areas - they get driven on the weekends and it goes straight back in the garage and I just use my Honda/Mini to get around at other times.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All sad but true...you have to follow your gut. But, if you sell something you love so much it is hard to find it again in the same form, so be sure what you want. Seller's regret can be worse than buyers regret.

Is there a time and place you can enyoy the car in a less stressful way?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, I dunno about selling the 993, but the reasons you stated above was the reason I sold my 50 year old classic convertible recently. Just too many distracted people texting to drive an old classic with no seat belts and bad drum brakes anymore.

Texting has really made driving far more dangerous than it was just a few years ago.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default My Vote

If there is a way...keep it.

Last edited by 911Jeff; 03-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold my 1997 C2S two and a half years ago and regretted it ever since. I jumped back in when my current car fell on my lap, which in reality just doesn't happen. I for one say you buy a good used car with all the safety features, like a Toyota Highlander or something with a little mass and keep the 993. After you drive the commuter vehcile for a while, you will come to appreciate the 993 more. BTW- my 993 is strictly for weekend and sunny day fun...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I drive both my 993 Turbo and my F250 Super Duty 4x4 to work and for chores - and in the city the F250 often is better. I do not have to watch for idiots when in the truck but sure have to with the Turbo.

You need to buy a nice beater to drive to work, and keep the 993 for pleasure use. I bet the cost would be the same as buying a new replacement, given depreciation, etc.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You are still going to have to deal with So Cal traffic unless you plan to give up driving. Why not drive the most beautiful car you have ever owned and enjoy it? Given your history you are not going to be happy in a Nissan or a Lexus.

Three years ago I bought a new MINI Cooper as a daily driver. It was a great car but it never pleased me like any of the Porsche's that I have driven over the years. I finally sold it this year (in lieu of a 964) and that MINI turned out to be one of the most expensive cars I have owned. I would have been far ahead had I gone with a used 911.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

You gotta drive something (I assume), its insured (I assume), and if something happens to it, there will be another one to take its place. Why drive anything else?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Wendy84
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why don't you just buy a driver and keep 993 for enjoyment. My nice cars do not get parked in crowded public areas - they get driven on the weekends and it goes straight back in the garage and I just use my Honda/Mini to get around at other times.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a virtually identical car to Chris, and have driven his. It is a very nice car, very smooth clutch.

As for the "predicament" I feel for you Chris, I have a 8 mile commute to my office, and it just makes no sense to drive the 993 to work. I have secure, underground parking at the office, but going up PCH/Selpulveda through Manhattan and Hermosa, just isn't good for the car, nor is it particularly fun in the 993.

When I go to my other office, down in Seal Beach, I always take the 993.

Fortunately, I have other vehicles to drive for the shorter commute

Everyone I have ever known to be in this situation, has regretted selling their car though, and eventually shopped for another.

I sure hope you find a way to keep it, or sell it to a Rennlister.

Last edited by Kika; 03-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Anyway as part of that process I've been fixing up little, unpleasant things so that the new owner isn't inheriting any problems. I replaced a cracked CV joint boot and repacked the joint (unpleasant, gooey); removed the front bumper and did both the fan resistors (no wonder so many RL'ers relocated the damn things).
Very nice! Exactly how I would want to present my car to a future owner.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm only repeating what others have said and that's buy a commuter car and use the 993 for weekends/fun or the one day you must take it to work - it will happen!

I've got a 08 GTI that I use for daily use and my 993 is the fun toy!

Life's too short to sell the 993...
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Z-nomore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 993 less than a year and I'm not in the same financial position as some of the members here (Active Duty Military). Having said that I would not have purchased my 993 with out a DD, my 93 Volvo with 330,000+ miles. It gives me piece of mind when I do have to go somewhere that I don't want to park the 993.

Quick Reply: Selling my 993...some ramblings about the conflict