Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Clear bra question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth993, what product are you speaking of that heals itself?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kjr914

point taken -- one man's major is another man's minor.............
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Redblurr
Stealth993, what product are you speaking of that heals itself?
Xpel Ultimate

It's more expensive over most others, but so worth it!!! FWIW, Venture Shield was purchased by 3M. They are no longer offering any warranty on it. That was one reason why my shop switched over to Xpel.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Good stuff to know - the Turbo has a 1/2 hood bra, but i am going to wait until its beaten to crap before removing and then doing the entire hood. i do not like the look since the reflection on the paint is different, but for the cost (came with the car) I will let it sit for a while. The nose has been repainted anyways, so it's not like I am protecting original paint.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Xpel Ultimate

It's more expensive over most others, but so worth it!!! FWIW, Venture Shield was purchased by 3M. They are no longer offering any warranty on it. That was one reason why my shop switched over to Xpel.
Ventureshield is now coming with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the lifetime warranty they had when 3M bought them out. Ventureshield is still manufactured separately from 3M so its the same film it was.

I have personally tested the Xpel Ultimate film out and do offer it. One side note to remember on the self healing topcoat is that the topcoat is half a mil thick. If the scratch goes through the topcoat it will be scratched for good. It doesn't take much to get through the topcoat so be careful with the film. You can even apply heat to the topcoat on Ventureshield and get it to heal the same way. The difference between the two films is stain resistance. Xpel is much more resistant to staining.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Good stuff to know - the Turbo has a 1/2 hood bra, but i am going to wait until its beaten to crap before removing and then doing the entire hood. i do not like the look since the reflection on the paint is different, but for the cost (came with the car) I will let it sit for a while. The nose has been repainted anyways, so it's not like I am protecting original paint.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike when you are ready let me know.

Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
Ventureshield is now coming with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the lifetime warranty they had when 3M bought them out. Ventureshield is still manufactured separately from 3M so its the same film it was.

I have personally tested the Xpel Ultimate film out and do offer it. One side note to remember on the self healing topcoat is that the topcoat is half a mil thick. If the scratch goes through the topcoat it will be scratched for good. It doesn't take much to get through the topcoat so be careful with the film. You can even apply heat to the topcoat on Ventureshield and get it to heal the same way. The difference between the two films is stain resistance. Xpel is much more resistant to staining.
My shop has tried to warranty venture shield in the last 6mo & was told no every time. They got some bad film a year ago, & every car that was done during one month last year has turned yellow. VS has let them out in the cold, & they are paying out of pocket to redo the cars with Xpel.

I've played with it, & a brass brush. it is way more restart then VS, & VS does not repair itself anything like Xpel. Xpel is also way more restart to chemicals. Of course anything that goes through the film is going to be there for ever.

I will never have VS on any of my cars again! Am going to get my C4S redone this summer with Xpel.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a warranty issue with VentureShield. I have been installing the Ultra line of film for 8 years now without one single warranty claim. I have not heard about the bad film you are talking about either. Are you talking about the coated or uncoated film??? And who is your distributor? Xpel is a good film... or I wouldnt carry it. But it hasnt been tested over any length of time... it just got released a few months ago. So NO ONE can vouch for how it will hold up over time. In 6 months it may look terrible, or it may take a year. Thats the problem with new films. Any manufacturer will claim their new film is the latest and greatest but most of them dont live up to the hype.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

venture leaves a lot to be desired.
and you are right about staining. bird drop, you are dead.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removal of existing clear film ???

Has anyone had existing film protection removed. If so, how difficult, expensive is this process?

Quick Reply: Clear bra question