993 Forum 1995-1998

Clear bra question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear bra question

Aside from the obvious cost difference, what's your take on whether to go full hood clear bra or partial? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If I was to do it again, I would do full hood and full front fenders. No seams. Be sure to get an installer that is qualified and has access to multiple film manufacturers. Some film looks different on certain colors. Do your homework, and see samples of your installers work, I have seen some cars that have had the paint cut when they trimmed the film with a razor blade.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

I'd go for the full front end, if in fact you decide to do a shield at all.

I did a good job on mine, and couldn't be more pleased. I do dozen track days a year, and a fair bit (3-4K miles per summer) of pleasure driving. At the current rate, I would expect 5+ years before it needs to be stripped and re-done.

For my use case, it's a no brainer. Keeping original (or good) paint in place is worth something. The cost of a custom cut full front instlled was sub $1,000.

I have seen the 1/2 done hoods. Then in a few years, you are looking at ratty plastic and beaten paint. Nowhere to go from there.

Best,

Matt
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Do the whole from end. Make sure they wrap the edges.

My C4 has the entire front end done. There are no seams, no lines, no real difference over just paint. However around here is a little over $2k for this service.

With the way I drive, & were I drive, mine is going to last about 2-4 years, before being replaced.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 276 Posts

If cost was no issue, I would go with full hood. Partial coverage is a pain when it comes to polishing/waxing.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My hood was only covered on the bottom foot or so by a prior owner. The first major chip I got in the hood was 3 inches above that. And I have to stare at the lines where the covering stops. Do the whole hood.

And after having some major chips at the rear of the front wheel wells, I'd like to have the entirety of the front quarter panels done....after a re-spray some day.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely dependent on how you use your car. If your going to concours events you probably do not want film. If your going to use your car as a driver it can prevent stone chips. I have full hood, front surround, and partial front fenders. It's about 3 years old and is starting to look a little ratty. Downside is that you can't polish it out like you can paint.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Just like Keith said, I did a partial too and got the biggest chip ever about 1" above it, right in the middle of the hood. I covered it with a drip of paint just to seal it off but it doesn't look very good.
Otherwise, I think a full hood and fenders is too much. One can hardly tell it's there but a full coverage over the whole front end will look kind of off, compared to the rest of the paint. It's just not as shiny and clean looking.|
Hard to tell in pictures, you'll just have to compare the 2 maybe.
I drive the car in the summer months only. It's not always clean looking and I'm at peace with the occasional scratch or chip impact. Anything as long as I'm the one that did it. Now if anybody else lays a hand on it is a different story of course.
Good luck deciding,
Ed
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the 3 991s we have wrapped so far every client has gone with the full hood and full fender package. It is a much better look, offers maximum protection, and is much easier to maintain than a partial install.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by johzev
Completely dependent on how you use your car. If your going to concours events you probably do not want film. If your going to use your car as a driver it can prevent stone chips. I have full hood, front surround, and partial front fenders. It's about 3 years old and is starting to look a little ratty. Downside is that you can't polish it out like you can paint.
I do concours with my C4S & it has the full front end wrap. Most of the time the judges don't even know it's on there. Some films have way more orange peal, & show up easier.

You can polish the film, just not as hard as paint. I do a light polish on mine every time the car gets done. I just use a rotary around 1200rps with Menz 106 polish.

There is a new film out that heals it's self. So you can take a wire brush to it, then let it sit in the sun, & the marks will go away! When I redo my car, this is what I"m using. It also has way less orange peal in it then other films so its even harder to see on the car.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older partial bra on front fenders (from previous owner) and would definitely go (i) no bra or (ii) full wrap. Partial looks terrible in my opinion and you get rock chips anyways.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kjr914

you said.. The first major chip I got in the hood was 3 inches above that.

do you think a 0.006" 3M protective clear bra would have protected your hood from a major chip?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did complete front-end including side mirrors. Less noticeable and protects better. Detailing is easier than half hood as the seam is not in the middle of the hood.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
kjr914

you said.. The first major chip I got in the hood was 3 inches above that.

do you think a 0.006" 3M protective clear bra would have protected your hood from a major chip?
Depending on your definition of major. (Kinda like the word "clean" around here...) I meant the first significant, non-pin ***** sized, one you can still see from 5-10 ft range (if you're looking). I wasn't talking about flying bricks and the like... Besides, I said "major", you said "major". Huge difference...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine are due for replacement soon as they're looking alittle aged, especially the ones around the mirrors. I'll do the entire hood instead of the partial that is on it presently.

Quick Reply: Clear bra question