993 Forum 1995-1998

Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

My car has been in the shop for 11 weeks on a engine and trans. rebuild that was to take 6 weeks. After seeing the car today it is still weeks from being completed and all I'm getting is excuses. I don't know what to do ? I spent weeks looking for a good mechanic since mine of 12 years didn't want to do the job. This shop has a great reputation but I'm at a loss , first it was parts then the holidays now mechanic sickness. All my phone calls and pleading don't seem to help. I feel I've been more than patient , but I also see no end in site. Any Ideas ?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, that's crappy. Not sure how you should approach a situation like this. Clearly you've waited far longer than promised. Maybe some others who have been in similar situations can weigh in and offer some advice.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

I feel like I'm being held hostage
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 241 Posts

11 weeks is more than fair.... I would call and schedule a face to face with the owner. Call ahead so he has a chance to get his ducks in a row. Once face to face calmly explain your concerns and ask for a reasonable delivery date.. Let him know that on the new date you expect one of two things 1) your car competed and completely sorted out or 2) all your pieces boxed up and ready for you to take somewhere else.

It could be that he has under estimated the job and does not want to follow through, or he doesn't have the capital to front the parts cost... I've seen both happen at good shops, a little give and take can go a long way.... Then again there are just crooks and slackers out there that will never get it done.

Not to name the shop, but where are you located ?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good advice from Jeff. Softly, softly is the best approach. Last thing you want is a botched job just to get you out the door and off their backs. Listen to the shop owner but also state your expectations clearly and firmly.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, pitch it as a give and take, not 'screw you, I want my car back'. Indicate that not having the car is costing you money because you need alternative transportation. Note that its unlikely that they put a battery maintainer on the battery, and after three months a deep discharge can spell the end of that, so there is another cost.

Try to find out why its taking so long, and perhaps set intermediate milestones, for example by end next week the engine is ready for reinstallation, but the transmission is not mounted yet. Something shorter term to work on.

Also, if he has parts stopping him, tell him that you can help expedite, either working through Sunset or using this list - we have tons on contacts and capability on this list.

Oh, is he doing this fixed price or by the hour? do you have a running summary of costs?

Best of luck!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott for the great advice . I live in Los Angeles
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by aclt993
Thanks Scott for the great advice . I live in Los Angeles
When I saw the post I immediately thought what's the big deal getting the car back right now, it's the middle of winter. No snow on the ground in LA I bet.

Don't have much more to add, other than agreeing a meeting with the owner is the logical next step. I would probably also have a back up plan in mind to get the work done if that meeting doesn't go well.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 241 Posts

LA should not be hard to find an alternative shop if it comes to that. Others in your area can chime in with recommendations.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for posting replies and talking me off the ledge. I'm hoping to meet with the owner today get a realistic delivery time. This job is not by the hour more of a flat rate , so time is on his side.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I live in Los Angeles, and would I love to know what shops this is, so I can avoid it. Feel free to PM me the name if you would.

Also, I have a great shop that I, and a few others on here swear by, if you're anywhere near Beverly Hills. It is a Porsche air-cooled specialty garage. Despite the location, they are very fairly priced and get the job done right the first time.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even at a flat rate the shop owner wants the car done ASAP. It's tying up space, a tech (maybe) and creating stress for him. The advice already given is excellent and I'm sure you understand that this is not a happy event for him either.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 277 Posts

Rarely have I ever encountered an auto shop or paint & body shop that completed a major job within the promised time frame. That's one of the reasons I prefer to do most of my own work whenever possible. A good friend once gave me great advice which I use quite often: "In times of stress, remember to practice your breathing".
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 531 Posts

Not to be an alarmist, but I predict that your meeting will yield yet more excuses, unfortunately, by the sound of things so far......HOPE I AM WRONG.......

No one likes confrontation, but it is necessary sometime to secure some accountability if not treated fairly, etc...

You need to start documenting to be prepared, i.e. in case you get the car back and it is not done correctly.....and further delays that you can translate into damages, etc...if it comes to that...

I definitely would meet with the owner and present a letter outlining what was to be done in detail and the agreed rate and establish a FIRM due date for completion. Attach any documents you have outlining the job that he may have given you. Tell him you wanted to present in person rather than the mail in the spirit of good faith.......

Have an agreement signature line for the shop and you to sign/date that stipulates that for every day over the agreed upon due date that the car is late, a 5 % penalty off the total bill is credited.

I did this once under a similar circumstance and got my car back on time......and repaired correctly since he knew I meant business........
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed exactly what work is being done. Are you having a split case rebuild of the engine or is it something else major?

Quick Reply: Help