993 Forum 1995-1998

Question for Recaro PP / bucket seat owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Recaro PP / bucket seat owners

Being quite tall (6'4), I am wondering where the harness holes on the Recaro PP or RS type bucket seat will end up on my back. I have tried the seats out just didn't think about it then. I will need to try them again but just wondering how they work out for tall drivers or drivers with tall upper body?

I am thinking I can always take the bottom cushion out when using the 5.pt harness and that way I should be fine.. I guess ideally the harness holes should be around shoulder height? Another option would be the '6 GT3 seats (which are actually period correct as these were available in the 993 Tequipment programme) but I don't like the look as much as the PP style seats.

Any feedback appreciated.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the PP's, and have to remove the bottom cushion to lower myself sufficient to get the shoulder openings aligned -- and I'm only 5'9". You should test a pair before buying, you're probably going to find that they're just too small for you.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are that tall, I would look for another seat with larger/higher through holes for the shoulder harnesses. I am 5' 10" -185 lbs. and the straps definately angle upwards toward the front to get over my shoulders. When really cinching in tight, I feel it. If I remove the seat cushion they are perfect for me but then I cant see much as I am sitting too low. I love everything about them except for that. I also have read of others getting the parts from a Sparco seat and cutting larger holes and fitting those in for the shoulder belt holes. Not sure if I would go that route but that is exactly what they need. If you are going to be wearing 5 or 6 point belts a lot, this will be an issue at your height-definately.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like the Recaro PP type seats might be a stretch for me.. With bucket seats I would definately want a 5 point harness for DEs. There are not that many "period correct" bucket seats out there; Recaro SPG, 993RS seats (PP style) or the 996 GT3 seats, which have huge openings and are also more readily available than the others. Recaro SPG XL is also an option but they don't look as good...

I just digged up this old thread.. Deja vu:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-advice-3.html

Then there is the less track oriented RUF/Koenig K5000 seats (pic 1). They were an option for RUF cars and also period correct for the 911/964/993. I believe RUF used then in the earlier BTR cars as well. I've never sat in them but people say they are very comfortable, they hold you in tight with the deep bolsters, they are reclinable, they don't weigh a ton and they also allow you to use a 5 pt. harness for racing. The shoulder strap holes are much higher up (in the head rest) on this seat. They look a bit bulky though but I think they are cool .

The obvious choice though for a more track oriented car is a bucket seat. People say that to get that feeling of being connected to the car you really need a bucket seat. All that foam in the regular sport seats and the RUF seats takes away the feeling of being connected to the car. The foam makes it more difficult to feel how the car is behaiving and thus makes it a bit tougher to control on the track versus a racing shell. Others might want to chime in here with their experiances.

Here is the RUF König seat (1) and then there's the latest incarnation of the classic RUF lollipop seats (2) from the new RUF.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

The alignment of the seat holes and shoulder and roll bar are certainly more of a problem for taller guys and for seats w/ smaller holes.

I know of at least one pp owner that modified his seat by enlarging the pp holes and installing SPG XL trim, they look and work great.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Yup that's for sure. So I guess I can either buy a set of Recaro PPs and enlarge the holes upwards, or buy a set of GT3 seats, or buy the RUF lollipop seats and run the shoulder straps one on each side of the headrest (?). GT3 seats = problem solved so that seems like the easiest solution.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
V
Rennlist Member

As a side note, how high on your back should the harness holes sit? I understand ideal height is right at the top of the shoulder but how much lower is acceptable? An inch or so? I'm looking at a pair of seats but even with the cushion removed, the harness holes are still almost 2 inches lower than my shoulders. I'm thinking that is going to hurt when the belts stretch.. I guess it's time to forget about all other options and just get a set of euro GT3 seats... .
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
As a side note, how high on your back should the harness holes sit? I understand ideal height is right at the top of the shoulder but how much lower is acceptable? An inch or so? I'm looking at a pair of seats but even with the cushion removed, the harness holes are still almost 2 inches lower than my shoulders. I'm thinking that is going to hurt when the belts stretch.. I guess it's time to forget about all other options and just get a set of euro GT3 seats... .
This is what Schroth says
0* to 20* down w/ no interference from the seat, crossed if the distance is > 500mm
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Perfect Bill, thanks a lot. That means that the harness holes should be at shoulder height, or just a tad below but not more .

Quick Reply: Question for Recaro PP / bucket seat owners